Remember The Trace? I want to make that actually happen.
  • but ive made £6 from that enterprise already, cheers jim!
  • Oh, he did? Nice of Jim to, y'know, let everyone working on it know. It was a shame really - A lot of work was being invested in that place.

Yeah, I had to actually ask. He seemed up for continuing on a smaller scale, then the place just vanished.

Petey, it's up to you if you want to have it attatched to here or not. I don't really know too much about the actual building of websites, so if you'd be willing to spare some time to build something basic for it you'd be a leg end.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I was the Film editor of The Trace. Was raging I never got to, y'know, edit.
  • You can be film editor of, whatever this is, if you want to be.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    (I'd still do it. I'm writing a little piece for ma blog the noo)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I am disenfranchised with ideas such as these. But I vote yes out of habit.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I would welcome a chance to host a podcast with various members of the community on a bi weekly basis.
  • I would much prefer to contribute to a podcast, rather than writing. Trying to get me to write is like getting blood from a stone.

Plus, my voice is pure west Scottish sex.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    That's the point where it starts to go a bit bullshitty.
  • Oh, he did? Nice of Jim to, y'know, let everyone working on it know. It was a shame really - A lot of work was being invested in that place.
    Yeah, I had to actually ask. He seemed up for continuing on a smaller scale, then the place just vanished.
    I'm fairly sure I fired out a "What's going on?" tweet or e-mail or something but never heard back. No hard feelings, but The Trace seemed primed and ready to go and it was disappointing for it to just vanish without a trace. Ahem. Jim really should have let people know. Courtesy and that.

I would look with interest at any movement towards a grander scheme of things.
  • I would much prefer to contribute to a podcast, rather than writing. Trying to get me to write is like getting blood from a stone. Plus, my voice is pure west Scottish sex.

We used to record on a sunday morning for me (very early, like 8AM) and the boys would be semi drunk by 4PM.

If we could make it later, like 12PM my time, it would work perfectly again.
  • google wrote:
    I would much prefer to contribute to a podcast, rather than writing. Trying to get me to write is like getting blood from a stone. Plus, my voice is pure west Scottish sex.

We used to record on a sunday morning for me (very early, like 8AM) and the boys would be semi drunk by 4PM.

If we could make it later, like 12PM my time, it would work perfectly again.

Drinking Games was nearly a thing, I even bought Leffe.
  • I remember we once chatted to Tim Rogers over a couple of weekends. The kid was in Japan, playing Blue Dragon in Japanese, smoking and drinking, while recording the podcast with Reg, Brooks and I.

GOOD DAYS!
  • The Trace tried to do too much at once. Start small, do it amazingly well then expand. I like the idea of a podcast. 

I'm out though. I'm seem to be working for free for a few companies.
  • While I'm not by any stretch of the imagination against this sort of activity, I won't lie, I am wary of this place running before it learns to walk. Perhaps the integration of some sort of community blog section akin to the old EDGE idea might be a better place to start.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    While I'm not by any stretch of the imagination against this sort of activity, I won't lie, I am wary of this place running before it learns to walk. Perhaps the integration of some sort of community blog section akin to the old EDGE idea might be a better place to start. regards g.man

I totally agree.

For those that want to write, having a single place which is associated with the forum would be a great step.

Then, once you've got some regular contributors putting together regular articles, you could move into an editorial blog.

But to start with, getting the contributions to content should be high on the agenda.
  • We certainly wouldn't want to wake up one morning and find The B&B had disappeared without Trace.

:D

g.man
  • What usually happens is everyone gets fired up with enthusiasm for the new undertaking, with dreams and schemes of future plans once the initial content is delivered, then quickly become despondent when the general reaction is a collective sigh of indifference from the internet at large.

EDIT: Not to be a knocker or a spoilsport or anything. Just sayin'
  • +1 Larry. That's why I'm more inclined to a community blog section kind of thing.

regards

g.man
  • Think there probably needs to be some discussion about what this place will become and who wants what from it. It's run by one man at the moment. That might be able to carry on indefinitely but might be a lot to ask.

And although its Petey's baby (and he's the only one to have stumped up any cash), its essentially community owned. So we'd need some consensus on what people want for the future. Or at least deciding on a mechanism for deciding stuff. 

These questions haven't been asked yet. And I can't really see many people having major objections to a blog or whatever. I don't. But depending on how big it gets you're getting into the realms of editorial tone and the sort of people you're going to attract. 

We want new people but we don't necessarily want the worst of the internet gaming fraternity turning up talking their usual shit.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    What usually happens is everyone gets fired up with enthusiasm for the new undertaking, with dreams and schemes of future plans once the initial content is delivered, then quickly become despondent when the general reaction is a collective sigh of indifference from the internet at large. EDIT: Not to be a knocker or a spoilsport or anything. Just sayin'

Indeed.

The thing is that the goal needs to be realistic.

For the podcast, it needs to basically be a bunch of mates talking shit for a while that would be entertaining for their extended mates to listen to on the way to work.

The articles need to be an output for the creative types to get their juices flowing and for the rest of us to read some opinion while on the toilet.

It needs not be the second coming of EDGE.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    @larry Which is why it would need to be original content, not just musings on the week gone by.

It would also need to be aimed squarely at us and be a creative outlet for people that want one.

Trying to turn it into a springboard to journalistic stardom seems the wrong ethos imo.
  • The Trace tried to do too much at once. Start small, do it amazingly well then expand. I like the idea of a podcast.  I'm out though. I'm seem to be working for free for a few companies.

I disagree to be honest, at least from a content perspective. I can't honestly remember whatever it was that Jim was proposing to do with the website, but apparently it was too complex for anyone else to pick up once this guy dropped off the face of the earth. I'm proposing something simple that can run itself - as I mentioned before I'm happy to Wordpress it if needed.

I also don't think that anyone should be under any illusion that this is going to be something that starts raking in both hits and cash. The point is to give creative people, be they writers, artists, developers, or people who want to get drunk and talk to Dean a place to do that. If anyone has any illusion that is going to springboard them to stardom, or that it's in any way designed to do so should get off the train now.

Again, I stress that it doesn't need to be something that happens here. If people feel that what I'm proposing isn't a great fit with this community, I'm happy to take it elsewhere, but obviously The Trace was drawn from this community, and I suspect there are others willing to contribute.

As far as the second coming of Edge goes, the remit is much wider than Video games. Loosely, I think  The Trace went for Geek Culture, and it would be that sort of thing I'm wanting to do.
  • The Trace tried to do too much at once. Start small, do it amazingly well then expand. I like the idea of a podcast.  I'm out though. I'm seem to be working for free for a few companies.
    I disagree to be honest, at least from a content perspective. I can't honestly remember whatever it was that Jim was proposing to do with the website, but apparently it was too complex for anyone else to pick up once this guy dropped off the face of the earth. I'm proposing something simple that can run itself - as I mentioned before I'm happy to Wordpress it if needed. I also don't think that anyone should be under any illusion that this is going to be something that starts raking in both hits and cash. The point is to give creative people, be they writers, artists, developers, or people who want to get drunk and talk to Dean a place to do that. If anyone has any illusion that is going to springboard them to stardom, or that it's in any way designed to do so should get off the train now. Again, I stress that it doesn't need to be something that happens here. If people feel that what I'm proposing isn't a great fit with this community, I'm happy to take it elsewhere, but obviously The Trace was drawn from this community, and I suspect there are others willing to contribute. As far as the second coming of Edge goes, the remit is much wider than Video games. Loosely, I think  The Trace went for Geek Culture, and it would be that sort of thing I'm wanting to do.

I'm in.

I've been looking for an excuse to get together with assorted peoples and talk shit on an internet recording.

It should be this place, as this is my internet home. Anything that brings this community together should be something we embrace, not push away for fear of it failing or falling flat on its face.

Even if it does, what harm has it done?
  • google wrote:
    Anything that brings this community together should be something we embrace, not push away for fear of it failing or falling flat on its face. Even if it does, what harm has it done?

A fair point.

Was it you who set up the Player podcast? I'm not really too sure how it would work. Skype and Audacity or something?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Was it mod who said just sort a forum for writing posts which are attempts at critique? I liked that idea best.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Let's make a blog system out of a forum, it'll be the inverse of the edge forum. No, but seriously let's.
  • Just do what everyone else does - community access Tumblr for a stream of visual/aural non sequiturs.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't really like the idea of just adding an extra forum category for long-form stuff. The basic idea is to have like a communal thing that'll be a bit of a kick up the arse for the people that want to create stuff to motivate them to get them writing and whatever. But I just don't think having an extra forum category will spur me personally into doing stuff. I'm not sure it'll achieve what it's meant to.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!