Remember The Trace? I want to make that actually happen.
  • g.man wrote:
    Is Mod's ego denting your ego google? regards g.man

What ego have I shown here? I've argued my point, explained where I stand and asked for clarification on a number of issues.

Neither mod nor you seem willing to engage on those discussion points. So I'm getting a little annoyed.

Outside of that I've been nothing but transparent. What more would you ask of me?
  • I will point out that it was Petey who suggested tagging it onto here, not me. I was talking about something separate, which Petey suggested could be done here.

As Dean said though, if it's done here I don't see a downside. If you don't care about it, you don't have to see it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think the problem with this discussion is that, while a lot of us have been working on the assumption that eventually some kind of community content functions would be added to the forum, the actual discussion about it has inadvertently started with "Hey, remember that off-shoot that was a totally separate thing from the previous forum? Let's do that."

I get the impression that everyone would rather this stuff be done under the forum banner. Perhaps we should continue the discussion on the understanding that we're talking about this community creating content, not a separate thing that would go under a totally different banner.

I don't think there's any point in postponing this discussion, even if we don't start executing what we plan now. This has been vaguely rumbling under since the forum was set up, and now we're talking about it. I don't see the harm in giving Peter some idea of what we're thinking of, even if he won't have time to implement any of it for months.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Mod74 wrote:
    @google Want to know why I think the other efforts failed? Contributors were cherry picked in private then the finished article was presented back as a done deal. The wider community wasn't offered the chance to contribute. Because you'd chosen a small group the weight of producing fell on a small number of shoulders. Eventually that's too much to bear and one link breaks and the whole lot falls apart. Keep it open to all and you're far more likely to get and maintain interest and contributions. The community as a whole grows stronger had feels invested. Everyone benefits on both ends (creating and consuming) not just a small section.

What are you even talking about?

The Player was hosted off site. It had it's own website, webspace, forum, content creators, etc.

Sure, we pimped the fuck out of it on EDGE forum, but I did the same on NeoGaf and dozens of other forums.

The other efforts had NOTHING to do with me, nor were they ever 'EDGE FORUM OFFICIAL INTERNET MAGAZINE'.

In fact, The Player/Play.d started out life a year or two before I even became involved, born out of the Games TM forum. 

I will bold this because you seem to be missing what I'm saying. We should create a part of our community where our members can share their created content with other members of our community. 
  • ...and breathe.

seriously

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Look, I follow and agree with what you're saying now. I don't agree with what you were saying earlier about podcasts, wordpress blogs and small forums on the side of them.

There's nothing stopping anyone doing anything off their own backs somewhere else, however for the sake of this place -and especially whilst it's in its infancy- I'd strongly prefer any creative efforts like that to be contained under one banner and open to everyone.

Note: that's open to everyone as in clicking a "New topic" button and selecting a blog subforum. Not asking politely whether they can join the next podcast recording.
  • I'm fine, G.

I had a couple of Tequilla's with my birthday lunch - I'm good to go for the next couple of hours. I look forward to the next argument from mod that argue's against points that I've never actually made.
  • Forum software itself is now basically sane enough to cope with internal show-n-tell operations. If you need an extra special type of file embedded, that's what Peter's for.
  • Some kind of Index thread as per Burgundy Mk.1 will be useful eventually.
  • Dare say it wouldn't be a great chore to craft a function that can itemise particular posts and reformat them into a blog entry automatically, should the world deserve our 'greatest hits'.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    I'll give you FTP access, brooks, if you want to take a stab at it ;)
    The janitor.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    google wrote:
    I look forward to the next argument from mod that argue's against points that I've never actually made.

Look, maybe I've had a bit of a kneejerk reaction here against what I thought you were suggesting compared to what you thought you were, but you've got form here and don't pretend you don't.
  • The world must be made aware, Brooks!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I said knob, I meant my voice, hence me likely not podding, sense from the b-man though IMO
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Petey wrote:
    I'll give you FTP access, brooks, if you want to take a stab at it ;)
    Look I need no encouragement. To stab, or anything else.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Look, maybe I've had a bit of a kneejerk reaction here against what I thought you were suggesting compared to what you thought you were, but you've got form here and don't pretend you don't.

I've got form?

That's not particularly fair to say - it's like stating I was immature when I was a teenager.

What's your excuse?
  • Behave the pair of you. You're both lovely chaps and you're both above this this sort of squabbling.

we've all got previous

g.man
  • Maybe this could be the podcast. Just two forumites arguing for an hour or so, with wrestling style introductions for each and a voting system to decide who won and gets to stay on for the next round. Then once in a while a 'Royal Rumble' type event with everyone mic'ed up and hurling abuse at each other.

Just full on, unedited squabbling. May the best man win.
  • ahah
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • monkey wrote:
    So we'd need some consensus on what people want for the future. Or at least deciding on a mechanism for deciding stuff.
    This.

Or we can just let two people (1/100th of the membership) decide what's going to happen in the future on the back of some festering rivalry they've had going for years. A voting system for shit like this is the only way.
  • @LD. Kind of like the EDGE forum of five years ago then...

:D

g.man
  • God, even talking about it has split the community, this place is ruined.

• Bring back the glory years.
  • Reminds me of the town meeting in Blazing Saddles this. I'd YouTube that shizzle up, but I'm in the pub.

regards

g.man
  • There's nothing special about us, other than that we're here.
  • That'll do B.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Ok, do obviously this is a point that is going to elicit quite strong responses. I think there's a lot to consider, reading everything going on this evening; I'll weigh in with my 'official' response tomorrow but it seems the general consensus is that it'd be nice do something that lets people put up more in-depth content. I've got a few ideas, so hopefully this discussion can end up being productive.

Night all
    The janitor.
  • monkey wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    So we'd need some consensus on what people want for the future. Or at least deciding on a mechanism for deciding stuff.
    This. Or we can just let two people (1/100th of the membership) decide what's going to happen in the future on the back of some festering rivalry they've had going for years. A voting system for shit like this is the only way.

This is me ignoring your dumb and ignorant post.
  • No it isn't. Seriously Dean, if we can't even have a debate about this without everyone taking offence to any opinion other than there own, then we're fucked before we get out the starting gate.
    If you want to make shit happen, then I humbly suggest you consider leading by example.

peace

g.man
  • google wrote:
    This is me ignoring your dumb and ignorant post.
    Grow the fuck up you stupid prick.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!