Remember The Trace? I want to make that actually happen.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I enjoy podcasts as much as anyone, but I've yet to hear a gaming one that didn't make me want to stab someone.
  • Kow wrote:
    I enjoy podcasts as much as anyone, but I've yet to hear a gaming one that didn't make me want to stab someone.

Maybe it'll be this one...!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That'll make me finally actually stab someone? Possibly...
  • Idle Thumbs was good. Hopefully will still be good when they re-launch.

But yes, I wouldn't mind an expansion of field.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've only just caught up with this thread, and despite worrying that this is going to come off patronising, which it really isn't meant to, I just want to applaud both google and Mod for sorting this out. This is exactly the kind of attitude that this place is going to need to survive. Yes, people will have disagreements, there will be the odd bit of name calling, but as long as we can admit when we're wrong then we'll be fine.

But yes, I like the idea of a community blog and/or podcast, mainly to appeal to people outside of the community and possibly draw new people in. The advantage I see of a separate blog section would be the ability to possibly get links from elsewhere or even reposts in a way that doesn't tend to happen with a thread on a forum. We could conceivably open up the comments section to allow people to comment with just an email address so that those who may not choose to engage in a videogames forum can have their say. We all agree that without new blood this place could stagnate and die, and trying to attract new people through our own creative endeavours seems like a far more positive route than trying to blag people from other forums.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If dunks comes back we'll have loads of reposts
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The advantage I see of a separate blog section would be the ability to possibly get links from elsewhere or even reposts in a way that doesn't tend to happen with a thread on a forum. We could conceivably open up the comments section to allow people to comment with just an email address so that those who may not choose to engage in a videogames forum can have their say. We all agree that without new blood this place could stagnate and die, and trying to attract new people through our own creative endeavours seems like a far more positive route than trying to blag people from other forums.

My blog's had nearly 4000 hits so far this year, mainly from search engines. If was posting on a blog related to this community instead there'd be at least a possibility that some of those people would be converted into new users.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    We all agree that without new blood this place could stagnate and die..

We don't all agree with that. If new people join then fair enough but I don't think there's any need to try and woo people in here. There are 200 already.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fine, not Kow, then. But I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of us feel that it is at least a possibility.
  • I agree with the Kow, but that's still but two of us.
  • I still don't know get why anyone is negative towards this.

The very worst I can see is that you're simply not interested, in which case, it doesn't affect you. You can browse the forum without ever having to read an interview with Fozzy, an article about someone who makes his own lightsabres, or a podcast about Dreamcast games.

And if there isn't enough interest? It fizzles out. What damage this causes to the forum is beyond me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Who's being negative? I'm expressing disinterest, nothing more.
  • I don't think anyone is being in any way negative Dante. People are merely voicing legitimate concerns about things that may well turn out to have a long term impact on our home...or not.
    Anything that could have a significant long term impact on this place has to be a topic for open discussion vis a vis the pros and cons.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm not massively sure what this impact is though. Right now, I have ERE and Kilted Moose's blogs bookmarked. Instead of going to two different places to read there stuff, I could go to one, and also whilst I'm there read Skerret and Tigers words of wisdom too. That's the impact as far as I can see.

If people don't want it here though, that's fine, I can set something else up. But I'm getting the feeling that some people are cold on this either because they weren't invited into any other forum lead creative offshoot, or because they think that setting something up here will somehow destroy the forum.

Neither of which I can understand.
  • Wraps you should spell out exactly what it is you are advocating then?

regards

g.man
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I was going to say, I've got quite a few forumer's blogs in my RSS feed. 

I'd believe any attempt of implementing a community forum would not be to detract from an individuals personal blog. Whether it's Voodoo posting his designs, Kaz writing about games, Reg writing about film, Moose writing about games, Jim writing about Calvin & Hobbes, etc.

Essentially any community facility to post lengthy prose is going to serve 3 types of people, each for vvarying reasons.

1) People with a blog that has nothing to do with the audience here. My research blog for example. As not to lose a perfectly good bit of prose to people who will probably not be interested on their own blog they can post it here. For the more responsive and appreciative audience.

2) People with a blog that has everything to do with the audience here. Moose's games blog for example. As a favour to the community here they may wish to post a new piece or post an edited piece they are particularly proud of. The favour would be a post on their own site, driving trtaffic and fresh meat. This would be an avenue to raise the readership or community at B&B.

3) People without a blog. For example you want to write but you either don't want the responsibility of having a blog or you don't believe it's worth it because you can't see yourself writing that much. Or some other reason for not having a blog, whatever. Either way you post your prose here because there's a facility to do so.

I think that's generally it. I wouldn't want to suggest people here abandon their existing blogs. Many of us keep blogs professionally and keeping the bulk  of our work in one place is usually what suits.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Originally, I was proposing a separate entity. Petey suggested that this is something that could live here, so assuming that it's something that can live here, it would be as follows.

A place where members of the community can upload their creative endeavors under a fairly loose banner of 'Geek Culture. Anyone fearing an 'Edge-lite' needen't worry, as it's nothing to do with Edge. Yes, games come under the banner, but so too do books, music, film, TV and any associated activities.

We would create some features that people can choose to use, or not. For example, on The Trace there was an idea for something called My White Whale, in which someone took something they could never quite finish before, and play/read/watch it again and write about it. Things like these provide a little structure for people who struggle to just sit down at a page and fill it when they can write about anything.

More than just a simple blog system though, something akin to Sputnik Music would be what I'd be looking at. Anyone could participate, providing they hold an account. People would be free to create articles, videos, or yes podcasts, with the editorial hand extending to removing spam, and cleaning up anything riddled with spelling errors. And if someone has already reviewed something, that doesn't stop anyone else

Anyone worried about bandwidth for video and audio needn't worry. Youtube embedding and Soundcloud ect take care of that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    For example, on The Trace there was an idea for something called My White Whale, in which someone took something they could never quite finish before, and play/read/watch it again and write about it.

That was my idea. If this thing gets off the ground I fully intend to take on the original Shinobi game again, this time on the MegaDrive Collection on Xbox with unlimited credits to see if I can finally finish off that last boss. My bet is I won't.
  • "editorial hand"

hmmmmmm...

g.man
  • By which I mean Petey will delete spam from WallArtRockers, or clean up anything that looks barely legible.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Let's not forget The Trace. One person left the project and the entire house of cards fell down. It would also appear, and I could be completely wrong here, that no-one else who was involved with that project even attempted to find out what had happened. It just ceased to exist one day, so everyone seemingly shrugged their shoulders and just got on with their lives.

For what it is worth, Jim went dark and stopped updating us. Then he did appear in the night and it turned out his better half was ill and so we continued on ignoring his apparent repeated absence. Then he sent an email out I think he was sick this time but was coming back. People carried on. People asked questions. But no specific reply. I think people had spoken to him but it was more about his situation than the team's situation. I even remember website guy, maybe Tom was his name, weighed in and said Jim was about. He was certainly in contact with Jim even though Jim wasn't in contact with us. The idea that website guy disappeared is news to me. I just thought it was due to personal complications on Jim's side that Trace failed. His Twitter, Blog and Linkedin accounts have only had activity on them in the past six months IIRC.

Albeit at the time no one volunteered to take the mantle from Tom and Jim in order to keep a good thing going but then I think it's about confidence, consensus and commitment.

Let's roleplay. "Petey and his missus have had a baby. We've never installed spam watchers and no one has ever volunteered to help him with dev. Petey is no longer available to manage the site. Who's gonna 'take the keys and drive' from now on?"
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Beano wrote:
    "Petey and his missus have had a baby. We've never installed spam watchers and no one has ever volunteered to help him with dev. Petey is no longer available to manage the site. Who's gonna 'take the keys and drive' from now on?"

I suggest we all chip in to get Petey a vasectomy now to stop this ever becoming an issue.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Fear is the mind killer. I don't mean to curve-ball the convo. And I am not trying to be facetious. But you know. These are all important points. Similarly whether we like it or not, now that we have finally leaped from under the wing of mother-Edge we are going to have to deal with scenarios such as these (blogs, podcasts, keys) in the days, months and hopefully years to come.
  • Very true Bean
  • That's what Jim told me anyway Beano. Since I know nothing of complicated websites, I wasn't really in a position to offer services, though I did suggest a stripped down site that initially Jim seemed up for, and posting on the forum seemed to suggest about six or seven people still up for it.
  • If people want to do something why don't they just do it? Ask people here if they want to join and if they don't, they don't.

Linking it to the community would be good but this thread has been populated by a minority as I'd wager a lot of people here just don't care. Build something, if it's good folk will read it. I give forumite related stuff a cursory glance now and then but i have other places I go for that content.

In the end, unless people are dicks I hardly think any harm will come of it.

My oats, there.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm concerned that anyone might label my aimless ramblings as 'wisdom'.  This slipshod attitude will surely doom us all.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I for one agree with rambletits.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "@Diluted Dante" Well that was a bit defensive.

I was just wishing to demonstrate that there was a lot more to it than one guy disappearing which is the impression that g.man had. And certainly what was being maintained.

I just want you and everyone else to know I wasn't having a go even if you think I was. Frankly though I only care about the lessons of the past. I'd rather keep focused on here.

I think I've input all I can input without ego.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy has surely hit upon an important point, so important that one might refer to it as very important. This importance of type very will no doubt be of great importance to me and us, the community.  Like any community, accord must be reached on the key issues.  These issues are mirrored in my own day to life, largely composed of getting up, going to other places, and so on.  Some of these places are of great interest to me and others, each for personal reasons which I will now detail in a long and interminable monologue on personal reasons one might have for being interested in going to places both here and not here and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!