Remember The Trace? I want to make that actually happen.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have all the equipment right here in front of me to make a podcast. I could make one of me asleep on the keyboard. I snore so it would be quite interesting.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Snore us a tune.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Breakthrough idea. Narrate a podcast, it could be our gimmick. WE COULD DEBUT OVER E3. In multiple threads based on beard coverage.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    YES
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    This thread is a good thing. Some people like blogs, some people prefer podcasts. Me, I like podcasts because I can do other things whilst listening to them. Happy days if some enlightened folk from here get back on it, I'd give it a listen.

Some cracking points have been raised about the podcast too and although I won't be participating , I sure as shit will listen.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • I'll dream up an idea I'd like to talk about, and take my suggestion to another thread to try and kick this off.
  • I don't think I have ever listened to a podcast.
  • Neither have I
  • I suggest calling it something other than a podcast - like a netcast - and have it available in ogg and flac formats, for maximum geek points.
    ;)
  • Sounds too much like Pogrom.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's suitable, though. Podgrom.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't think I have ever listened to a podcast.

Might I recommend Dr Karl's Science Phone-In on Radio 5 Live (might not be the correct name) to start you off?
  • I listen to the Geekbox because I'm in love with Karen Chu's voice, but not her face.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don't think I have ever listened to a podcast.
    Might I recommend Dr Karl's Science Phone-In on Radio 5 Live (might not be the correct name) to start you off?
    Would that be Karl Kruszelnicki?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It would indeed. The man is excellent.

If you're a fan, do check out the 5 Live phone-in, I prefer it to the Triple J one as it doesn't play any music so they don't tend to cut people off so much in order to get to the next song.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I'm not massively sure what this impact is though. Right now, I have ERE and Kilted Moose's blogs bookmarked. Instead of going to two different places to read there stuff, I could go to one, and also whilst I'm there read Skerret and Tigers words of wisdom too. That's the impact as far as I can see. If people don't want it here though, that's fine, I can set something else up. But I'm getting the feeling that some people are cold on this either because they weren't invited into any other forum lead creative offshoot, or because they think that setting something up here will somehow destroy the forum. Neither of which I can understand.

I'm struggling to understand how you've managed to mis-interpret what I actually said so spectacularly.

I said form the start a long form blogging system might be a good idea, and suggested it be a sub-forum of here.

A podcast I feel runs the risk of being exclusionary due to the nature of it being a form of expression limited to those being recorded.

IF steps are taken to mitigate it becoming that then fine.

We have to very carefully balance what's good for the forum against a very small number of peoples long held journalistic ambitions.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That seemed perfectly sensible except for the sly dig at the end
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Seems like fair comment to me.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Don't really see why this discussion's getting stressy again. Peter's come up with an extremely sensible plan for introducing blog functionality to the forum, Elmlea's come up with a nice way of doing a podcast that won't exclude anyone, we've pretty much sorted the fundamentals of how this is all going to work out.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    That seemed perfectly sensible except for the sly dig at the end

It's not a dig, it's the truth.

This forum doesn't need a blogging/podcats offering. Some people want the ability. I don't want the latter to do anything that disrupts the former.

There are plenty of avenues that people can use for blogging if they want to, and they do already. If they're willing to post that content here as well great. If it inspires new contributors or even attracts new users, great.

In the spirit of everything that's happened since G let out the rally call I'm willing to give it a try. We should monitor the situation carefully and if things go spectacularly wrong for whatever reason make a decision about continuing.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    We should monitor the situation carefully and if things go spectacularly wrong for whatever reason make a decision about continuing.
    Dante slips as he takes his seat, spearing himself on his microphone? Google's ego goes supernova, sucking the entirety of Canada into his waiting maw? Reg makes a light hearted quip about Cave shooters being "shite" and Lawrence puts a fork in his testes? Petey's mum finds out he's forging an internet empire and grounds him for the rest of the year, suspending his pocket money and leaving the forum without funding?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Exactly.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, there is a potential for the forum to descend into bickering and in fighting to a much bigger degree than normal. There is also the possibly that it will all be great without any problems. I have little to no interest in any blogs or podcasts but I wouldn't like to see the former happen.
  • True enough. I like how friendly everyone is right now.

I certainly wouldn't want Kow to start listening to podcasts and get so engrossed by Tempeh's dissection of Kafka's work that he gets hit by a stray bull due to not hearing the warning klaxons, no s'ree.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Given that there's no way of preventing people from embarking on creative enterprises though, surely the best thing is to keep them under the banner of this forum, so that they can be kept fair and democratic. If you don't allow people to do stuff under the banner of the forum they'll simply do it outside of it, which will just make it more likely that bickering and in-fighting will occur.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Quite.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Given that there's no way of preventing people from embarking on creative enterprises though, surely the best thing is to keep them under the banner of this forum, so that they can be kept fair and democratic. If you don't allow people to do stuff under the banner of the forum they'll simply do it outside of it, which will just make it more likely that bickering and in-fighting will occur.

Hear hear.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just taking about it seems to be causing bickering, God knows what'll happen when you actually make this stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!