Remember The Trace? I want to make that actually happen.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The Trace tried to do too much at once. Start small, do it amazingly well then expand. I like the idea of a podcast.  I'm out though. I'm seem to be working for free for a few companies.
    I disagree to be honest, at least from a content perspective. I can't honestly remember whatever it was that Jim was proposing to do with the website, but apparently it was too complex for anyone else to pick up once this guy dropped off the face of the earth. I'm proposing something simple that can run itself - as I mentioned before I'm happy to Wordpress it if needed. I also don't think that anyone should be under any illusion that this is going to be something that starts raking in both hits and cash. The point is to give creative people, be they writers, artists, developers, or people who want to get drunk and talk to Dean a place to do that. If anyone has any illusion that is going to springboard them to stardom, or that it's in any way designed to do so should get off the train now. Again, I stress that it doesn't need to be something that happens here. If people feel that what I'm proposing isn't a great fit with this community, I'm happy to take it elsewhere, but obviously The Trace was drawn from this community, and I suspect there are others willing to contribute. As far as the second coming of Edge goes, the remit is much wider than Video games. Loosely, I think  The Trace went for Geek Culture, and it would be that sort of thing I'm wanting to do.

I think your best bet is to let Petey make a dedicated section for this site. Start populating it, lead by example and people will follow if they want.

No need for new sites, new logins, more maintenance and overheads.

By all means make an entirely separate entity if you want but I don't personally see the point and I don't think it represents your greatest chance of 'success'. Off shoot mixed media attempts haven't had the greatest track record thus far.
  • I want to do this, whatever it is. The Trace was a bit of a missed opportunity, was a bit gutted when it didn't come to anything.
  • I would have said attaching something to this forum is the way to go.
  • Was it you who set up the Player podcast? I'm not really too sure how it would work. Skype and Audacity or something?

Yup.

Skype and Audacity.

I wish they were still online somewhere.
  • Let's talk seriously people. This is an important community decision that's being mooted here, and it could have long term ramifications for our new home.
    Personally, I remain unconvinced of the long term benefit to the community of much that is being mooted here, but I'm not going to pretend that my voice is louder than anyone else's here, so I'd urge people that if they have an opinion about any of this, then now is the time to speak up.
    With the greatest respect (seriously) to all those that were involved over the years, The Player, The Score, and The Trace all failed for any number of reasons, and with their failure people either drifted back to EDGE forum or away completely. 
    Let's not forget The Trace. One person left the project and the entire house of cards fell down. It would also appear, and I could be completely wrong here, that no-one else who was involved with that project even attempted to find out what had happened. It just ceased to exist one day, so everyone seemingly shrugged their shoulders and just got on with their lives.
    I don't want that to happen here, and I personally don't want to be affiliated with the pimping of any sort of internet culture mag. Face it, we all know how short lived and unpopular most of them are.
    If people want to write stuff, then I'm all for that. By all means create some sort of community blog system for The B&B, but for me, anything more than that is going to take some serious convincing.

so convince me

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's probably obvious where I stand already, but to be characteristically blunt, if you want to tap into the B&B community keep it within the B&B community don't leach it off elsewhere.

I'm in favour of some long form blog type posts anyone can make but I think a podcast is too exclusionary.
  • I like the idea of a podcast but currently who would truly give a fuck what was said, even from this forum? I wouldnt

I still would like something like a place where someone can post a piece, be it words, an image, a song, and it be commented on and voted up or down, ensuring the community look after what they feel people should be looking at and removing things that are rubbish for the sake of our eyes/'do better next time'
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Why vote though? Isn't that defeating the whole purpose of giving the community an audience for something they might not be able to get anywhere else?

It needs to be easy for both the writer and the reader. Why the hell you'd want a voting system to kick people in the balls for taking the time to write something and having the courage to post it I don't know.

Nine times out of ten people just vote up/down opinions they agree/disagree with, regardless of the quality of the writing.

Comments below should be more than enough to judge how well something was received.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't think anyone's mooting anything more involved then essentially a blog - I don't think anyone's clamouring to go down the PDF magazine route again. I think if we were going to have a blog, my suggestions would to either 1) Ask Petey nicely for community blog functionality, and then wait patiently until he can find the time to implement it, or 2) Set up a Bear and Badger-branded Wordpress, maybe ask Petey to set up a redirect so blog.bearandbadger.co.uk or bearandbadger.co.uk/blog redirects to it and maybe add a link to the top menu (looks as though there's just enough room for the word 'Blog' up there. I think people just want a something they can throw words at, so I don't think it needs to be anything elaborate or anything split off from the community.

As for podcasts, I don't see why not. All it would involve would be adding a thread to link to episodes and announce new ones, and that would be the same whether it was explicitly Bear and Badger-linked or not.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I love you guys, Edge was my first and only dedicated forum experience. I tried Trace, Player, Lolfaggot and the urban dead forums, but only one place kept me interested. Nublu was shite, I had and will have absences, real life gets in the way. This place is named like a pub, and it's a forum. Surely if you've something interesting to say post it. You can embed photos and videos, so hey-ho
    Nublu ruined itself a little by encouraging discussion away from the forum. Yes threads go off topic, often proportional to the quality of the op. The place is new, it works, and it feels like home, why not shelve the expansion plans for a little while and see how we're doing in a few months
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    As for podcasts, I don't see why not.

And I don't personally see why.

I can read people chatting about the games they've been playing here just fine. I don't need that transferred into 45 minutes of Skype quality recording and "can you still hear me" drop outs. It's also the hardest to organise and produce so most likely to fall first.

Some guy decides to do a podcast/blog then cherry picks his mates/forum 'names' privately. Pfft. No ta. Balls to using bandwidth hosting it as well.

That's what's happened in the past, I don't particularly want a repeat here. Keep it inclusive, let anyone who wants a go have a go, don't over complicate it, don't kick people in the balls with down votes.

It in't hard.
  • The vote isnt to get down on things mod, itsso we can, given any volume of submissions, be sure the worthwhile rises to the top, a forum moderated editorial. Otherwise its far too easy to get sick of it if it seems theres no measure of quality control, not presuming there actually be so much stuff contributed of course
  • g.man wrote:
    If people want to write stuff, then I'm all for that. By all means create some sort of community blog system for The B&B, but for me, anything more than that is going to take some serious convincing. so convince me g.man

Has anyone suggested anything different to that?

People want to create stuff that will be read. 

The biggest way to reach people who may want to read/watch/view your stuff is to stick to communities you're a part of.

I'm more likely to read Dante's disgusting post on Ryan Giggs because I know him. If he were just some random internet blog called Dante's Ryan Giggs project, I wouldn't give him a second look.

I personally have raised the thought of starting up a podcast with various folks - but no one has really been in a position to get it started again. If there were actually some honest to goodness interest from a few people, then I'd be a lot more willing to engage. 

Without tooting our horn, the podcast was probably the most successful thing the player/play.d boys and girls ever did. It wasnt the best thing we did by a long shot, but a fair few people enjoyed it for what it was. 

All we'd need (in the beginning) is a blog that would be a part of this community. Maybe add a separate forum to post links to and from and that would be it. Nothing more, nothing else.

If people wanted to drive traffic to their latest blog, it would be up to them to advertise it.

Does anyone really have anything against this?

The reason the various magazines/sites failed is because of the time investment needed from a dozen or so people on a very regular basis. It was tough, it didnt pay anything, it was ultimately a hobby that needed to take a back seat to real life. Writing a blog post once a week takes as long as you want it to. There's no editorial to subject to - it's just someone creating something they'd like to introduce to the community without the need for a forum thread.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    The vote isnt to get down on things mod, itsso we can, given any volume of submissions, be sure the worthwhile rises to the top, a forum moderated editorial. Otherwise its far too easy to get sick of it if it seems theres no measure of quality control, not presuming there actually be so much stuff contributed of course

I'd love there to be so much long form content we needed a filtering system to sort the wheat from the chaff. We can cross that bridge when we come to it, but I don't really think we ever will.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    As for podcasts, I don't see why not.
    And I don't personally see why. I can read people chatting about the games they've been playing here just fine. I don't need that transferred into 45 minutes of Skype quality recording and "can you still hear me" drop outs. It's also the hardest to organise and produce so most likely to fall first. Some guy decides to do a podcast/blog then cherry picks his mates/forum 'names' privately. Pfft. No ta. Balls to using bandwidth hosting it as well. That's what's happened in the past, I don't particularly want a repeat here. Keep it inclusive, let anyone who wants a go have a go, don't over complicate it, don't kick people in the balls with down votes. It in't hard.

No one is asking you to listen to anything.

In fact, most would probably ask that you didn't, so they didn't have to read your negative diatribe about why it was such a worthless endeavour. Keep your negativity to yourself, 'mod. No one needs to hear it.

EDIT: To add - people are asking for some room to create some content that others might want to look at. Where's the issue?
  • I'm certainly not against a community blog kind of thing. It was one of the better ideas that EDGE had imo, sadly, like most of their recent ideas they made a bit of an arse of implementing it, but with a bit of thought it's perhaps an idea that could fly here.
    cockbeard wrote:
    I love you guys, Edge was my first and only dedicated forum experience. I tried Trace, Player, Lolfaggot and the urban dead forums, but only one place kept me interested. Nublu was shite, I had and will have absences, real life gets in the way. This place is named like a pub, and it's a forum. Surely if you've something interesting to say post it. You can embed photos and videos, so hey-ho Nublu ruined itself a little by encouraging discussion away from the forum. Yes threads go off topic, often proportional to the quality of the op. The place is new, it works, and it feels like home, why not shelve the expansion plans for a little while and see how we're doing in a few months

Wise words Ben. I'm inclined to agree.

regards

g.man
  • Let's keep this civil chaps. 
    People aren't being negative to piss others off. People just have very legitimate concerns about how any of this might affect the community in the long term.

no-one wants this place to fail.

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    Let's keep this civil chaps.  People aren't being negative to piss others off. People just have very legitimate concerns about how any of this might affect the community in the long term. no-one wants this place to fail. g.man

I dislike mod entering discussions like this whenever something like this comes up and declaring that his own opinion is worth thousands of others.

It's rude, patronising and not conducive to any type of community. 

As indicated in the "What we do" thread, some people are having a tough time in real life. Being able to create content, write articles, post blogs, make pictures, take photos and make music genuinely helps in their day-to-day lives. 

Often this stuff goes unnoticed due to the sheer size of the internet. 

But here I see a worthwhile community with 200 members all of whom WANT to be here and contribute. We should be opening up the community to creativity. 

I don't believe anyone is asking to change anything fundamental to the community we know and love. All that's being asked is a place to post things and have people look at them. 

If you dont want to look, it wont be forced upon you. It's not like you're going to have to watch a 34 minute conversation with Gillen and I before you're allowed to post. But if you're in the mood to read my feelings on the latest Yakuza game that I've spent time, effort and resources writing, then you'll be able to.

The fact that some of you are seeing this as some sort of attack on the integrity of the message board is a little jarring. If anything, this will add to the place. Content will spring up. New members may join. New discussions may arise. 

Tell me of the negatives, please? All I see are positives, potential and zero risk.
  • google wrote:
    Tell me of the negatives, please? All I see are positives, potential and zero risk.
    I've already outlined my concerns further up the page.

regards

g.man
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    True, didn't realise that may look like I'm pissing on anyones chips. I'm really not, some people are natural content makers, and that's brilliant, and essential to any communities survival, so for that I thankyou and hope you stick around
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
  • For the record, I'm really neither for or against any of this. I just have genuine concerns for the long term health of the community. I just want to debate the pros and cons of any direction we may choose to take, and I would prefer it if we kept that debate civil, because if we can't even do that, then it really doesn't bode well.
    We're all adults here, so let's leave our egos at the door and talk about this without it turning into a slanging match.

ta

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    google wrote:
    I've already outlined my concerns further up the page. regards g.man

Yeah, but you seem to have assumed someone wanted to make an internet magazine/site that would pimp using this place.

I agree with you in that instance. 

But if you take the idea of a blog, where anyone from this place could contribute to, that linked back to this community - where's the issue. 

If no one creates content then no one creates content. Nothing happens. No one dies. No one is on the hook for money, payments, editorial, etc.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    google wrote:
    No one is asking you to listen to anything. In fact, most would probably ask that you didn't, so they didn't have to read your negative diatribe about why it was such a worthless endeavour. Keep your negativity to yourself, 'mod. No one needs to hear it. EDIT: To add - people are asking for some room to create some content that others might want to look at. Where's the issue?

There's no issue in letting people post things HERE. Open to everyone in one place.

A podcast isn't open to all for multiple reasons. I don't think it fits with what we're trying to do. It's too cliquey.
  • Mod74 wrote:

Mod, I have only ever been involved with one internet magazine venture. It didnt work for a number of reasons and I would never try and do it again.

I'm not asking for your blessings to go ahead and create another magazine.

I'm stating that I believe we should have structure in place to allow the creation of content to be shared within OUR community. 

These are two different subjects and I would suggest your check your self-serving ego at the door less more people start throwing negative shit your way.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    A podcast isn't open to all for multiple reasons. I don't think it fits with what we're trying to do. It's too cliquey.

What are you even saying?

If I create a podcast with Reg, Gav and Gonzo - does that then conclude that Dante, Jimmy and Cocko cant create their own?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No, I sound like a knob

I just think let's walk before we run
  • Is Mod's ego denting your ego google?

regards

g.man
  • cockbeard wrote:
    No, I sound like a knob I just think let's walk before we run

Mate, you've said nothing out of place. In fact, I do somewhat agree with you - let's get the forum actually working 100% before trying to figure out extra's.

But that doesn't then neglect the argument being raised here about personal content being created to share with the forum.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    @google

Want to know why I think the other efforts failed? Contributors were cherry picked in private then the finished article was presented back as a done deal. The wider community wasn't offered the chance to contribute.

Because you'd chosen a small group the weight of producing fell on a small number of shoulders. Eventually that's too much to bear and one link breaks and the whole lot falls apart.

Keep it open to all and you're far more likely to get and maintain interest and contributions. The community as a whole grows stronger had feels invested. Everyone benefits on both ends (creating and consuming) not just a small section.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!