Hey Bats, go easy on him hmmm? For me?
  • Put some time in last night and this morning, and sad to report so far its a great disappointment.

Warning! The following contains mild/moderate ranting:

This isn't so much more of the same, but a pale, shallow imitation.

Gotham is bland, weirdly empty and full of invisible walls. Areas we've been trained to instinctively grapple to, it won't let you. Try and walk somewhere the game doesn't want you to and you get laughable windy animations that stops Bats in his tracks. 

Remember how awesome the opening to AC was? There's not even an attempt at a decent opening here. You're basically just plopped into an environment and you're off. 

Why am I beating people up for just hanging around on the streets? They're not doing anything particularly wrong that I can tell. Why are cops patrolling their  own offices with machine guns? Oh yeah, because its a forced predator sequence. Arkham 1 and 2 did a great job of selling the world and the context for what everyone was doing. This one doesn't. 

I've done 2 'dungeons' so far. Neither anything more than a series of corridors connecting obvious square fighting arenas. Nothing like the distinctive set-peices of AA or AC.

Looking for positives, the new guys voice isn't as off putting as I'd thought. Combat hasn't been messed with too much and so far seems fine, but frankly there's nothing here you couldn't get from loading up AC. I like the idea of the story, at least. Although so far I'm not really following what going on and moment to moment i'm just following waypoints and beating people (mostly cops) up as I go. The new crime-scene bits seems to be the only major addition. They're fine for the most part, although go on for far too long and are essentially non-interactive.

Here's an example that sort of sums it all up for me. There's a fight and a bunch run at me. One of them is clearly a Titan from AC. Mechanically they're exactly the same, but since in AO there is no Titan, they've just re-skinned them as really big normal people. It's just stupid and lazy.

It's got 'rush job' written all over it. I'll get to the end, but while I know I'l play through the other two many times in the future, at this stage I very much doubt I'll play through AO again.

Rocksteady must be fuming. 

edit: haven't tried MP yet. Different studio, so fingers crossed.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Whilst I agree with a lot of points made there, I have really enjoyed what I have played so far (roughly two hours).  The city is very lifeless and there is a real lack of hidden touches and Easter eggs, however the core gameplay is still immensely good fun.  Not as good as asylum or city, but it will do as some extra Batman gameplay.

Although Batman's thighs are massive........
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Anyone having problems with this lagging, freezing and crashing?
  • Oh, its proper glitchy. I'm only a few hours in and ive seen many bizzare things. Framerate is poor too.

Hasn't crashed on me yet.
  • I'm going to avoid this. Seems like a cash in on tried and tested mechanics and formulae.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Interview with the dev http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-25-batman-arkham-origins-dev-faced-resistance-and-reluctance-at-every-level
    You can't normally trust what comes out of devs mouths round release time. Just thought this bit was interesting (well, funny) in light of the bugs and general slapdash approach that people are finding.
    "Usually you put on a happy face and say the right things because that's where you are. But secretly you're thinking, 'God, if only they'd given us six more months.' But, honestly, this game we've created is the game we set out to create. It is exactly the story we wanted to tell with exactly the areas of focus we aimed to do.
  • Spock wrote:
    I'm going to avoid this. Seems like a cash in on tried and tested mechanics and formulae.

That's exactly what it is.

Played a couple more hours, still plenty annoyances but I've acclimatised a bit now and able to at least enjoy the good stuff in there.

Current peeve: constant cryographic thingys on pretty much every door and to open any box. It artificially stretches everything out and gives the impression you're doing more than just going from room to room getting into fights.

On the plus side, just had a pretty decent boss fight  (although again it's just a re-hash of whats come before) and some of the side missions are kicking in so I've a little choice in what I'm doing.

Onward!
  • Each release seems to be getting worse then, shame.

I ADORED Arkham Asylum.  Arkham City was ok.  This sounds a bit average.

I'll still check it out at some point though.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    So I love a bit of Batman and can see a 25% off on Greenmangaming. Is there digital download cheaper than £30 anywhere?

Someone [Mod?] used to have a link to cheap games search but I can't see it.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    CJS has it for £15.50. It's Russian but apparently doesn't need any VPN nonsense.

Hazy memory has me thinking I was warned off CJS last time I bought Diablo.
  • 3.5/10 at Destructoid. Damn I got to read this.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    3.5/10 at Destructoid. Damn I got to read this.

3.5 is far too harsh, but this little snippet is more or less how I feel about it so far.

There are few things more dismaying in the videogame industry than a publisher that's willing to throw its own creative successes under the bus for a chance at easy money. This is what Warner Bros. has done with Arkham Origins. It's contemptuously pissed all over what Rocksteady accomplished with the previous Arkham games and shat out a soulless wreckage of a game. The only good in Origins comes from work already accomplished in previous games, with a whole lot of bad added in. If all you want is to re-experience Arkham City's gameplay, I'd recommend you just replay Arkham City
  • I came away with this snippet

If Batman: Arkham Origins does one thing well, it's epitomize the kind of exploitative garbage that has steadily eroded so much faith in the so-called "AAA" gaming scene. When publishers whine and moan about piracy or used sales, this is the kind of game you can point to when you ask if it's any surprise that so few customers are unwilling to gamble $60 on a brand new game. This is the kind of game that, when publishers panic over flagging sales, you can hold up and say, "You did it to yourselves."

In that regard, Batman: Arkham Origins is not the game this industry needs. It's the game it deserves.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I hear the MP sound effects rock, though
  • Hate reviews like that. Review the game not the industry.
  • Oh noes! There's some brief detail about something else which has been related to the review of the game!
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    Each release seems to be getting worse then, shame. I ADORED Arkham Asylum.  Arkham City was ok.

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm about 4 hours or so in and that Sterling review sums it up for me. Maybe it's a bit harsh in some folks eyes but Asylum is probably my favourite game of this generation and playing this horrible glitchy mess just makes me angry and sad. If Asylum is fresh squeezed orange juice and City is from concentrate, then this is some shop brand cordial. It looks orange, it smells a bit similar but it's world's apart from the real taste. The only vaguely positive bits are the remnants of Rocksteady's game engine which are still at work underneath all the mediocre dressings. Utter disappointment.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Even though I only paid £15, I'm trying real hard not to regret this! No time to try though, got to go eat food with relatives. Booooo.
  • Hate reviews like that. Review the game not the industry.

He did, thing is the review sounds like it came from someone who really likes the whole Batman mythos and wanted to buy into the world but because of how it felt to him he saw fit to relate it to what he thinks of the industry as it currently is.
    Thing with Jim Sterling is that he possibly loves Videogames too much.
  • Hmm well this has dropped from an Xmas purchase to a never purchase now. If the devs can't even be bothered to produce a decent game I don't think I can be bothered to play it.
  • I reckon the devs would have put a decent game together if they had been allowed an extra month or so. From announcement to release it's been less than a year right? Seems to me that Warner are the ones to blame here.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    I reckon the devs would have put a decent game together if they had been allowed an extra month or so. From announcement to release it's been less than a year right? Seems to me that Warner are the ones to blame here.
    That's not what they say. But yes Warner have devalued their IP through excessive milking. Not the first time in videogames history (or Batman's).

• Sasukekun wrote:
    I reckon the devs would have put a decent game together if they had been allowed an extra month or so. From announcement to release it's been less than a year right? Seems to me that Warner are the ones to blame here.

Yeah, can't really blame the devs too much. They were most likely just working to a brief on a probably limited time frame.

A bit more time may have helped iron out the kinks (of which there are many and which impact on the basic mechanics severely) but the game itself is just so totally lacking in any ambition and understanding I don't think any amount of polishing could have helped.
  • Sad to see it happen.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Can't say I'm surprised though. I was almost tempted by this when I saw it in the shop over the weekend. Thank fuck I didn't bite.
  • Psychic snipers.

How have they managed to actually make the A.I worse?
  • Well that went bad quickly. From being more Batman to everything that's wrong with the industry in one page.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Still want to play this but I think I'll wait for a drop in price or even a second hand purchase - Wait for the rocksteady approved sequel for the full price money.

Sad to see that not only is it a lack of new ideas thats a problem but a bit of a drop in quality (glitches etc) because thats the kind of thing that can really ruin a games rep. Hopefully this takes a hit in sales and WB realise why. We dont need a new Batman game every 1-2 years, just need a great batman game every now and again.

If WB do want to go all franchise on it, then they should establish the JLA stable and then work out games from that on a yearly basis, thereby keeping the licenses and games fresh - year 1 is Batman, year 2 is superman, and so on.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Hmmm. THink I'll wait for this to be a PS Plus freebie.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I can't even get it to work. It rolls the intro stuff with companies, engines and after the Nvidia logo it crashes and freezes the whole machine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!