Witness The Fitness
  • Questor wrote:
    My karate has gotten to the point where it really starts to get a bit more serious now.
    Had my grading on Sunday and got my provisional 3rd kyu (sounds like half a grade, but is just the way we do things once we hit brown belt, given you then take longer to get the next kyu)

My Sensei was pretty happy with my kata so he started teaching me one I will need in a while, which is very different from any of the ones we have done so far. My brain seems to 'get' learning kata so this is exactly the sort of thing I am wanting.

That's awesome.
    Keep it up!
    What kata are you learning? And when you say learning do you mean being able to perform the form or do you mean learn the techniques contained within and their applications?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Just started to learn Seienchin - Just learning the form for the moment, the bunkai will come after I have the form at least partly memorised.

I've been doing bunkai for both Bassai Dai and Ananku recently, and that's been excellent - it really helps me 'get' the kata
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I’ve been doing yoga since the new year and its fucking incredible.  Nailed my first full on lift last night and feel like a champ because of it.
    Sorry, don't know much about yoga, but what do you mean by a (full on) lift?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I’ve been doing yoga since the new year and its fucking incredible.  Nailed my first full on lift last night and feel like a champ because of it.
    Sorry, don't know much about yoga, but what do you mean by a (full on) lift?

Sorry missed this in the pt. Simply getting through a flow and finishing with a smooth lift that’s a bit like a fancy and more controlled handstand. I’m surprisingly graceful.

• Kind of. It’s all relative.
  • Ooh handstand. I get ya. Sound away too hard for me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Questor wrote:
    Just started to learn Seienchin - Just learning the form for the moment, the bunkai will come after I have the form at least partly memorised.

I've been doing bunkai for both Bassai Dai and Ananku recently, and that's been excellent - it really helps me 'get' the kata

Nice one :)
    Bassai Dain has some great stuff within. Lots of throws and takedowns. It's a fun and aggressive system :)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Back down to a nice weight now. Between 71.8 and 72.3 depending on if I’ve had a shit. Really feel like I can move about the place with a bit more grace now and any small gaps that might need squeezing through no longer pose a threat.
    Only thing is I have a huge amount of lipomas and they’re now a bit more prominent but apart from swimming and the back garden the tops never off so who cares.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm about to exercise again for the first time in a couple of months. Should be "fun". Don't a 10k in October and a half marathon November so need to get back on it, can even feel some summer podge.

Basically I need to do an uncle...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've started swimming 3 times a week now, as my dodgy knee prevents a lot of other exercise. Do we have any swimmers in here? What's a decent distance for a 45 minute swim (once I've got my technique and breathing sorted)?
  • I’m a brill swimmer but perhaps too good to know what an alright time/distance should be. Depends on your stroke too I guess. I do 3k freestyle in about 38-40 minutes but I think that’s beyond an average swimmer but may be getting slow in my older age.
    I reckon you should do 1500m in that time without too much issue?
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    I have started running a bit more, to cross train with my karate, to improve my cardio fitness for sparring.

Have a 10k event next weekend and 2 half marathons before the end of the year. Would like to break 2 hours for the half
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Nice! How flat/hilly are they? Hope they go well!
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    Mostly pretty flat, hence the thought I can do all 3 before the end of the year (and probably have grading in karate in that time too!)
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    First event down today, 10k along a nice reasonably flat out and back along the road by the beach.

Got a Parkrun PB yesterday without trying for it so I wasn't sure how my legs were gonna hold up. Turns out I got a 10k PB by over 4 minutes!

Actually following a training plan has been really working, I can feel my fitness getting better each week.

4 weeks to the first Half Marathon at the Melbourne Marathon - really looking forward to it and I'm getting more confident that I can do sub 2 hours.
  • Nice work!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • good stuff.
    i done a jog earlier. about 2 miles, even managed to run most of it! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Closest I got to exercise this weekend was timekeeping at my local ParkRun :-|
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    As horrendous as it was, getting slight FOMO watching the Marathon.  So my name's gone in the ballot again...
  • Me too! Fingers crossed… (for not getting a place obvs)
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    Half at Melbourne Marathon today:

IMG_20221002_132925_531.jpg
    IMG_20221002_132925_335.jpg

IMG_20221002_105725752_HDR2.jpg

I'm no Kipchoge that's for sure, but I was happy to break 2 hours, and running onto the MCG to finish was pretty epic.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Belatedly: great work Questor! Sub-2h is a very solid target to hit. I've got one coming up next month and haven't, until today, five a run over 5k for months. So suspect it is not going to go well lol.

Today was a cross country race and it has the cuntiest of hills midway through each of three laps. Team mate failed to turn the corner coming down the far side of it too :-|... much blood as he ran head first into a tree, aiui...
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Congrats on the HM!!!

Great time too!
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    Did another one a week and a half ago, the weather was VERY different this time - wo degrees when we started at 7.30 and was up to 28 by the time I finished with unrelenting sun the whole time. Was a good 15 minutes slower than the October run, but was happy with how I went

Also this last Sunday I graded to provisional 2nd kyu in karate - starting to get serious on the way to preparing for my black belt test...!
  • Nice, good work dude!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    2022 5k time trial in... 20:22!
  • Ha! Well done, you just need to keep the time loss down to 1 second per year from now on!

Was pleased to have my first pain-free Parkrun since around Easter time this morning, under 21mins so going in the right direction. There was a 21 min pacer, planned to keep him in sight, he disappeared for a bit but was obviously not pacing well as he had to slow right down at the end.
  • Not been for a run for 2 months. 7 miles. Pulled muscle in calf! classic
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Ha! Well done, you just need to keep the time loss down to 1 second per year from now on! Was pleased to have my first pain-free Parkrun since around Easter time this morning, under 21mins so going in the right direction. There was a 21 min pacer, planned to keep him in sight, he disappeared for a bit but was obviously not pacing well as he had to slow right down at the end.

I DREAM of a 21 minute 5k! I average about 26 minutes at Parkrun most weeks, though that's mostly because I have a karate class at 9am straight after so I don't want to go too hard and not be able to train afterwards.
  • I'd be happy if i could run 5K without stopping!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!