REAL hobbies, not virtual ones........
  • Tempy wrote:
    I am learning piano and occasionally play guitar. I am not great at either, I happen to be one of those people who can be 'pretty alright' at a lot of things but not exceptional at anything. Does my head in.

Most things take 10,000 hours practice to become "exceptional" at. MOAR PRACTISE.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • I haven't got that much time!

Exceptional is the wrong word, above average would be nice. I just seem to plateau very easily.
  • I'm getting back into RC cars after a 15 year hiatus. THEY WERE MY LIFE IN 1990.
    Maybe you should look into flying drones and killing other humans at the behest of some other cunt.

I nearly joined the Army after seeing that AD with the guy flying a drone with an XBOX controller. MY FAV 2 THINGS. RC AND XBOX.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • I'm the same.

Edit: Damn you, turts! *shakes fist*
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • Maybe you should look into flying drones and killing other humans at the behest of some other cunt.

Tricky to do as a hobby, to be honest.  We don't have any hobbyists doing it.  I imagine they wouldn't like the shifts.
  • I'm sure you could be exceptional at something if you put your mind to it.  Being exceptional at something like the piano takes (on average) about 10,000 hours of practise though, so you have to be 'pretty alright' at it for quite a while probably...
  • I only started this year and it is proving a challenge to learn. Wish my parents had pushed me to learn an instrument.
  • I was offered piano lessons at 10. I wish I could go back and punch 10 year old me in the face. I blame Liberace for making piano the most uncool thing ever.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • I'm not much of a pianist myself, having not really played since I was a teenager.  It takes a fair bit of dedication to keep it going.  If you can get the basics right from the start though, you'll be able to progress more easily.  If you want to pursue it and are happy to put a bit of time in every day (15-30mins at beginner level) then you only need two things.  A proper piano/clavinova (i.e. not a casio keyboard or whateva) and a teacher.
  • Yeah I also wish I'd been more enthusiastic about the piano lessons when I was young.
  • I had piano lessons from 7-11 I quit cause people at school called me a faggot :(
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Faggot.
  • I played in secret. Joke's on them.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    Just like this...

I genuinely laughed out loud at this.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • I was a DJ for many years. I eventually ended up promoting my own night which went well for about 4 years before I had to jack it in for personal reasons.

I'm a drum & bass dj but recently sold my 1210s and record collection as I don't have time for it anymore.

Good days :(
  • krs wrote:
    I used to love RC cars. I was never a tomboy or anything but there were so many Hornets at school and I was instantly obsessed; I loved mine probably more than any other toy I ever had. Anytime, Baby! Weeeeeeeeeyow ... weeeeeeeyow ... weeeeeeeflat battery.

My mate had the Hornet. Tamiya have reissued it, if you wanna re-live those halcyon days, but don't buy one, they're rubbish compared to what you can get now.

I'm buying this little shit. Can't wait.

image2vaq.jpg

• How much might one of them set you back? Always wanted one as a kid(an rc car), might force my offspring to enjoy them.
  • I am engorged with hobbies.
  • I play the didgeridoo. It's cool coz it only has one note. You don't need to put in 10,000 hours to get good at it. Once you've learnt the one note that's pretty much all there is to it. That and the circular breathing.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • n0face wrote:
    How much might one of them set you back? Always wanted one as a kid(an rc car), might force my offspring to enjoy them.

£189, pre-built with everything you need apart from a charger.
  • Where can one 'play' with an RC car without looking like an enormous child man/paedo?
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Any undeveloped plots at your nearest industrial estate?
  • The skatepark apparently.
  • n0face wrote:
    How much might one of them set you back? Always wanted one as a kid(an rc car), might force my offspring to enjoy them.

Where from?
  • $250 over here.  Not quite a saving big enough to actually save on, after postage.
  • I played the piano for 13 years when I was young, stopped when I got to Uni and started writing electronic music.  Wish I had kept it going, might start again one day.  Electronic music eventually became my job but not anymore, I do sound design these days.  Hobbies include photography, just started learning with a few cameras from 1920 to 1980 and loving it.  And learning Japanese.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I played the piano for 13 years when I was young, stopped when I got to Uni and started writing electronic music.  Wish I had kept it going, might start again one day.  Electronic music eventually became my job but not anymore, I do sound design these days.  Hobbies include photography, just started learning with a few cameras from 1920 to 1980 and loving it.  And learning Japanese.

I do electronic music and Japanese too. Haven't touched Japanese for a bit but I will go back to it. As for music, I was never a good enough producer to pursue it properly. Did Music Tech at Uni the first time (I've gone back to do Game Programming now) but dropped out due to being off my face on drugs all the time. Never really had a good ear for it either but I do use my own music in my games. There's an optional sound design module on the last year of my degree which I think I'll do.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • I would do it yes, even if it's in your spare time, if you enjoy it I would pursue it hard :)  Forgive the assumption but if you are at uni for the 2nd time then you can't be that old, and there is no best before date for musicians.  Years after finishing Uni I had all but resigned myself to writing music just for myself and friends in my spare time, labels weren't interested for years, until eventually I signed to 2 uk labels i had always admired, warp and the planet mu.  never expected it.  Took so long because my music was rubbish for ages.  people give up too quickly these days.

But I will say that when music changed from a hobby to a job things changed a lot, and I knew I wouldn't be able to do it forever.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Warp eh? Link us to some releases?
  • n0face wrote:
    n0face wrote:
    Where from?

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/116711/

Comes with everything you need, including a charger. I'm gonna be running mine on 2s Lipo batteries which you have to buy separately and a new digital balanced charger (£40 plus £12.50 per lipo battery) The lipo's make it go like shite of a shovel. 

There's 4 skateparks and three wicked dirt BMX track within 20 mins drive from my house so I'll be going there. There's also a load of space on an empty private road out the back of my flat.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!