REAL hobbies, not virtual ones........
  • Heh, I'd never have believed how hard archery was 'til I had a go myself. Although even when I'm not shooting great, I can't help but love it.
  • All this talk of archery has made me sign me and my eldest up at the local archery club for the beginners course.  8 hours over two days. Can't wait to have a crack at it.

here is a pic of Henry having his first crack when we went along to sign up to the course.

254725_10150327737718336_536863335_9415874_4621681_n.jpg
  • Yes! Hope you and your lad enjoy it Jimmy.
  • Nice high elbow. Nice anchor point on the face. He's a star.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I still have a pool cue in the boot of the car. At various stages of life I've played quite regularly. Used to play every other week with SG, and earlier than that twice a week when I was a young 'un/student.

Don't play as often as I'd like these days. There's an awesome pool hall just of brunswick St too, that I love to go to. No shit jukebox action, just quiet jazz and such, they make coffees and bring them out, toasted sandwiches, etc. And it just doesn't attract young muppets on the piss.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'm just starting to get back into pool now.  Proper American pool that is, not the piddly tables and balls that constitute the UK version.  I used to play a lot of pool and snooker when I was younger but, though I could often clear a pool table in one visit, I could never consistently knock in breaks of more than about 30 on a snooker table.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    American pool is fag. UK pool is gold.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Yah, brushless motors and lipo's innit. They turn on a dime, those boats.

Holy fucking fuck balls!

Where do I get one of them from?
  • American pool is fag. UK pool is gold.
    It always feels like I'm playing on a toy table when I go back to UK pool after playing snooker or US 8-Ball.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    American pool is fag. UK pool is gold.
    It always feels like I'm playing on a toy table when I go back to UK pool after playing snooker or US 8-Ball.

Ahh, US 8-ball, let you off, thought it was 9-ball with their gaping holes for pockets and over priced games.
  • So I mentioned before that I was trying my hand at some writing. I have just finished my first attempt at a short story. Now, this isn't me trying to push anything on you guys, or promote anything, but if anyone is interested in having a look at what I have written then you can find it here:

https://sites.google.com/site/thewandereseries/

It's not very long and I would appreciate some feedback (good or bad) if anyone does want to read it.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The writings alreet, I get some idea of the place. The stranger is, well, 'strange' enough to keep me interested.

Not really my genre though. Oh, and the constant use of 'shit' grated a tad, but a solid first attempt.

And the bar name...shame on you ;)
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Yah, brushless motors and lipo's innit. They turn on a dime, those boats.
    Holy fucking fuck balls! Where do I get one of them from?

Rad, innit?

Try here.

"Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • @turtle, I've got a bonus coming and I'm very tempted by the mini 8ight, could you explain the diffrence between the 2 battery types and what would be best to begin with. Also as a starter kit including car charges, spare batteries etc what would you recommend to purchase along side the car to get me up and running. Cheers.
  • Cheers DS, just the type of feedback I need. I probably didn't even realise how many times I used shit.

I also couldn't resist putting the name in there.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • n0face wrote:
    @turtle, I've got a bonus coming and I'm very tempted by the mini 8ight, could you explain the diffrence between the 2 battery types and what would be best to begin with. Also as a starter kit including car charges, spare batteries etc what would you recommend to purchase along side the car to get me up and running. Cheers.

Nice!

The mini 8 looks amazing, mine arrives this week, I can't wait. There's lots to learn about RC these days unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated than it was 10 years ago. This guy on YouTube has some great vids that explain eeeeeeeeverything. There's about 15 parts in his beginners guide.

The mini 8 comes with everything you need, but I'm going to be running 2200mah 2cell lipos which need a different charger. I'm getting this one. The packs I'm gonna be using are slightly bigger than the mini 8's battery mounts were designed for, so there's a simple modification you can make to fit slightly bigger packs. if you dont want to do this, you will have to check the max dimensions of battery pack that will fit in the mini 8, then find a 2cell (or 3cell) pack that fits inside those dimensions. There's vids on youtube about bigger batteries and the mini 8 if you need advice. 

This vid explains the battery type difference.

"Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • I considered building a mugi - evo but got so bogged down in battery types, speed controlers, balancing chargers and so Much other stuff I gave up. If a RC car works out and i can get my head around the kit I might go back to them.
  • n0face wrote:
    I considered building a mugi - evo but got so bogged down in battery types, speed controlers, balancing chargers and so Much other stuff I gave up. If a RC car works out and i can get my head around the kit I might go back to them.

Faaarrrrk! I want one!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    "I charge my batteries in an ammo case."

OK then.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I was offered piano lessons at 10. I wish I could go back and punch 10 year old me in the face. I blame Liberace for making piano the most uncool thing ever.
    And for your flamboyant dress sense.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    I still have a pool cue in the boot of the car. At various stages of life I've played quite regularly. Used to play every other week with SG, and earlier than that twice a week when I was a young 'un/student. Don't play as often as I'd like these days. There's an awesome pool hall just of brunswick St too, that I love to go to. No shit jukebox action, just quiet jazz and such, they make coffees and bring them out, toasted sandwiches, etc. And it just doesn't attract young muppets on the piss.
    I'll take you up on that.  I haven't dusted off the 2 piece for years.  I used to play competitively in me teens.  Won a few tourneys, a few hearts and nearly got rolled by a skinhead and his mates whom I wiped the floor with in a final at age 13.  He wasn't happy about it.  It was like Color of Money but with little colour and no money and skinheads.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Done. Let's aim for a weekend some time. Unless you have weekday arvos free?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • You said "arvo"!!! Neighbours wasn't a lie!!! 

Throw a chook sanger on the barbie you dag!
  • I played at archery when I was at school.  If the weather was bad we got to ping arrows in the assembly hall rather than on the playing fields.  My friend Nick and I suddenly became very bad shots when we moved inside, as they set the targets up in front of all the piled up plastic chairs, and you could crack a chair in two if you accidentally shot it on purpose with an arrow.
  • Bloody vandal. We have beginners courses in a sports hall during the winter. More than one noob's stuck an arrow in a basketball backboard, although sometimes the arrows bounce back. That's always fun.

We got kicked out at the end of last season.
  • I shot a kid through the heart once at a school fete. I legged it into the woods so no one ever caught me, then decided to live in the trees, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. I also got molested by a fat drunken friar, that bit sucked.
  • Heh, I'd never have believed how hard archery was 'til I had a go myself. Although even when I'm not shooting great, I can't help but love it.
    Quite intrigued by this archery lark.
    How did you guys get into it, local clubs etc?
    Is it expensive to take up?

• I did fencing at school for a time. It was nowhere near as fun as I, for some reason, thought it would be and getting stabbed with the foils hurt like hell. Also, because so few of us signed up to do it, we all automatically made the team regardless of how good or bad we were or how much we hated it. Even after I quit in the second year I kept getting called back for matches because even fewer signed up for it the following year after we warned them off it.
  • @Liveinadive: Your local clubs should be running beginners courses throughout the year, not sure of the prices though. You should be able to find the nearest one to you here. 

They usually last around eight hours, and can be spread over weeks or done in just a couple of days. When you've finished the course you can sign up to that, or any other club you like. You can usually use the clubs equipment FOC for around a month/six weeks or so, by then you'll know if it's for you and you can think about getting your own gear. 

This is where it can get pricey. You can get a beginners kit quite cheap, but you'll be replacing everything soon enough. I was told to buy the best riser (handle) and sight I could afford, and they would last me for years. Good advice, My original riser lasted me five years, and I still use the sight. My first complete set up cost me around £600, but you could do it for under half that.

Club fees vary. My club charges me £12 per month, for that I can shoot any week night (after 4pm) and whenever I want on weekends. It's different for each club though.

Hope this helps.
  • Cheers mate.
    Prices sound a bout on par with golf for equipment but a lot cheaper for club membership.

I am very tempted to look into it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!