The MCU Spoiler Thread ('free' on Disney+ UK pace)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    In a broader sense, given that this didn't gain much from being a TV series, I really wish it hadn't been one.

A Wanda and Vision TV spin-off I get - they've always (in MCU terms) been B-list Avengers without their own movies. Loki is a secondary character and while I think people would go to see a Loki movie, a TV series is still pretty logical. You've always needed to keep up with the MCU to know where things are at with these characters.

This series just means that when Captain America movies return to the silver screen, you'll need to have been following a bunch of TV stuff to know what's been happening. I think that's a bit rubbish? Wasn't this a movie-worthy story? It's basically Sam's origin story as Captain America. Shouldn't this have been the first movie in a new trilogy? I don't get it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Its good that these themes have found there way into a mass market show sure. The execution though just leaves it open to accusations of pandering.

That whole scene stood on the street with the politicians and the reporters, just so basic. I dont think anyone who needed to hear that speech is going to come away with their mind's changed, they are just going to feel preached at.
  • Yeah you’re probably right there
  • I mean the biggest issue was probably how they really didn’t explore / address the flag smasher motivations. We get it (right?): displaced people, refugees, poverty; allegory for the shit that’s gonna happen with climate change and so on. But it wasn’t very clear at all, why she would go down this path, why her cause was just but her methods were wrong. Guess they have to make her “bad guy” or they didn’t have time or it was too boring
  • I think there were 5 or 6 things going on in this show and all of them were under developed.

Like you say Freckles and Friends never really felt fleshed out.

The race stuff had to be laid on thick where it could have been more powerful if it was the thrust of the show. They converstaion in old man's house was actually quite good in the ep prior.

Will he wont he serum never really happened, he just didnt.

ArmMan had a My Name is Earl list, I don't remember that being a thing until the end there.

Kissalot and his rubber balaclava came and went.

Harry Kane went from 0-60 in 6 seconds, he really could have done with some time to breath. Even Anakin Skywalker took longer than that to get to killing.
  • Yeah some issues with the main story, too middled and not fleshed out. But i enjoyed it.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Also suit was comic book accurate
    PSN - minkymu
  • I'm glad there were only six episodes.  Don't think I'd have stuck with it for much longer.  Is "US Agent" (which I think is what Val called Walker) a thing?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just finished watching it, to be honest, by the end of it I’d pretty much lost track of who about half the characters were and found myself fairly lost about who was punching who and why by the end of the episode. But whatever, it was still just about good enough to keep me watching until the end of the series and not leave me feeling like I wasted my time.
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    This series just means that when Captain America movies return to the silver screen, you'll need to have been following a bunch of TV stuff to know what's been happening. Wasn't this a movie-worthy story? It's basically Sam's origin story as Captain America. Shouldn't this have been the first movie in a new trilogy? I don't get it.

Not really, the end of Endgame, Cap gives Falcon his shield, next film, Falcon is Cap, that’s enough of the origin story. It’s not like Marvel has particularly bothered with origin stories for a while anyway, Black Panther, Spider-Man, they’ve just shown up fully formed.

Anything else that’s been introduced in this can be recapped in a scene or even a couple of lines of dialogue in the next movie without an issue.
  • When is Loki?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I'm glad there were only six episodes.  Don't think I'd have stuck with it for much longer.  Is "US Agent" (which I think is what Val called Walker) a thing?

Yeah, it's his character in the comics.  (Though he started out as "Super Patriot").  He's pretty similar to the TV show in that he's a more powerful, less idealistic, version of Captain America.  Initially a villain, then an anti-hero/regular hero - though almost always a bit of a dick.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Will he wont he serum never really happened, he just didnt.

ArmMan had a My Name is Earl list, I don't remember that being a thing until the end there.

I'm not quite sure why you thought there was a will he wont he with the serum. He said he wouldn't take it the second he was asked, and there was never any question of it again.

The list is shown in, I think, every single episode. A big deal is made out of it in the very first episode.

I don't quite get the issues people are having, I thought it was fun, the two actors are great together. Some really ropy cgi at points was the main issue for me.
  • Cheers Tin.

Dante, I don't remember the list being shown in every single episode but you're right, the confession at the end to Old Chinese Guy was heavily foreshadowed throughout.  Mackie and Stan were both fine but there's a whole lot of filler crap in there too.  The Flag Smasher's habit of killing innocent people kind of undermined whatever their agenda was.  Also, I'm sure the boat is meant to be a metaphor for something but I don't give enough of a shit to give a shit.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Cheers Tin.

Dante, I don't remember the list being shown in every single episode but you're right, the confession at the end to Old Chinese Guy was heavily foreshadowed throughout.  Mackie and Stan were both fine but there's a whole lot of filler crap in there too.  The Flag Smasher's habit of killing innocent people kind of undermined whatever their agenda was.  Also, I'm sure the boat is meant to be a metaphor for something but I don't give enough of a shit to give a shit.

They literally all had to band together to keep it afloat or something?

I also don't get people's issues with it, it's just comic books in TV form and it's really *well done.

*As in it's very close to the comics but not too close you know EXACTLY what's going to happen.
    Though if you read the comics that relate to the story's being told then you kinda know what's going to happen or there abouts anyway.
  • It was ok. Just ok. A bit basic and obvious at the end, and the enemies were hollow with no weight. The fight scenes also were a bit pants. Someone else said here earlier it was like the kids were given the keys to the Marvel universe. But I still love the characters of Sam and Bucky and as someone who grew up with comic books the fact we have a mainstream high budget TV show with super heroes that is half decent is much appreciated. But compared to the highs of some of the movies and the weirdness of WandaVision I was hoping for more. That said, maybe the race narrative was more powerful for others or in the US and if so I appreciate that might be the case.

Roll on Loki.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • If you enjoyed it then hooray. That doesn't mean others can't have the opinion that it was largely a bit shit.

EDIT: at Davi
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I thought it was ridiculous in the movies too. The new ridiculousness that I noticed in that was how does he catch it? The arm loops must be spinning at a ridiculous rate under that shield, yet somehow he manages to shove his arm through one and grab the other.

You know, I considered this also but only now in Falcon but never in the movies. Surely the laws of physics decry that to catch it like that must result in either a) His arm being split in two; or b) The shield being split in two. I mean, to catch it like that requires it to stop spinning completely immediately.

But, hey, comic books!
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Someone didn't click on cosmic's link.
  • The first half of that was an incoherent mess. Didn’t make any sense. Then Sam’s speech went on forever. I have no idea who the power broker is. I mean I know who she is. But no idea what that’s supposed to mean other than she’s a baddy.

These shows really think that putting someone in a new outfit is some kind of big, punch the air, pay off moment. Maybe it gives nerd boners to a lot of the audience. Scarlet Witch now has a long dress. Sam now has a red, white and blue tracksuit. USA Gent’s suit is now black. The way they fetishise these things is weird. Sam’s face thing is also weird. It isn’t a helmet, it isn’t a mask. It’s almost a snood. What is it?

Remember in X-Men 1 where Wolverine is moaning about wearing some leather jumpsuit and Cyclops asks him if he’d prefer yellow spandex. If Marvel did that now, they’d spend one season of tv building up to him putting on yellow spandex with a triumphant score in the background as he pulled his little blue boots on. I preferred it when they were more embarrassed by some of this stuff.

I like the Isiah Bradley bits.
  • I really liked it, but then I give it a lot of leeway because I’m a bit of a fanboy, guilty as charged.

The suit in the comic looked cool, in real life... a little on the nose isn’t it... especially when he came down carrying Karli’s body, like an actual Eagle.

The reason he can catch the shield like that is because he practiced like, really hard. You must have missed the montage. He was throwing it at trees for ages.
  • It sometimes takes them a few goes to find an interpretation of the outfit that looks decent on screen. The original cap was ridiculous for at least a couple of movies.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Err so I’ve wanted to like this and I’ve enjoyed some of the earlier episodes. I get and support what they are doing with the racism themes and perhaps in America it really does have to be bashed over peoples heads. But as has been mentioned the real racists aren’t gonna care. Maybe though it isn’t talking to middle aged me, maybe it needed the obvious speech because it could be talking to kids who could be influenced by it. I don’t know.

What was pointless was the whole flag smasher thing. I don’t get why the who baddie arc wasn’t around the power broker. That would have had far more emotional impact where she plays Sam and Bucky probably with a decoy or two Iron Man 3 style and then she manages to get away with it and we still get the ending where she is setup for series 2. But we didn’t need the flag stuff.

Looking forward to some Loki now.
  • I genuinely struggled to get through the final episode of this. The writing has been fucking rotten right from the start, and I'm afraid the finale did nothing to redeem it in my eyes.
    Absolute garbage.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Oh noooooo, I've just seen a news story that the writers of this are going to be writing the next Captain America movie. What are you thinking Marvel??
  • I assumed this show didn't actually have writers and they were just making it up as they went along?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Oh noooooo, I've just seen a news story that the writers of this are going to be writing the next Captain America movie. What are you thinking Marvel??

I just saw this on my TL from my old boss. He's very much the casual comics crowd the MCU is aimed at.

H8NpglS.png

Clicked on the hashtag and had a read through. Nothing but positivity.

I think Marvel are thinking they would very much like to print money.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    People need gassing.
  • We've probably been quite lucky in that many of the Marvel films have been better than they've had any right to be. The audience has grown so big now they can get away with putting out any old slop.
  • It's always been dumb kids stuff. But usually entertaining and well-made. Those days may be over. Especially if the box-office is less of a focus from now on and it's all about building up that content.
  • Wow the shitness of the finale has really surprised me. It did literally nothing out of the box, nothing exciting, crap fights, powerbroker identity, duh. This whole series has been a bit pants. Sam and bucky make a good pair, but nawh this was just so plodding and predictable.
    Walker did fuck all. He couldn't fight the baddies in any meaningful way and was woefully underused.
    I had nothing to root for in the finale, no evil baddie ass to kick,nothing left to explain even, no stakes of any kind. Nope, no good.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!