The MCU Spoiler Thread ('free' on Disney+ UK pace)
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't think time travel and alternate realities ever hurt Star Trek too much because presentationally it was always put across as a single coherent prime reality (so, for example, even though individual episodes might alter history or replace characters with duplicates from alternate realities that had their point of divergence within the particular episode, no-one actually cared because outside of the context of the episode it didn't really matter). And if there was a persistent alternate reality it was characterised as being, like, woah, so different.

It does seem like the MCU is gonna massively lean into alternate realities AND time travel as persistent parts of the story - it does feel like it could potentially go wrong. However, characters like Tony Stark and Steve Rogers got written out because the actors left so it's not necessarily exactly like comics where they can do whatever because it's just a case of drawing the characters you want. They're still gonna be a bit more fettered than the comics so that could save it from going too far.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I dunno about that. They had no problem changing actors for the Hulk.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I just think that's getting to the point of over-cynicism tbh. I'd critisise them as much as anyone if they used the multiverse as an excuse for doing bargain basement recasts but they've shown little interest in recasting outside of the initial few films - it just feels a bit like catastrophising to me.
  • poprock wrote:
    I dunno about that. They had no problem changing actors for the Hulk.

Right at the start of this project.
  • I’m just passing comment. Alternate reality/multiverse storylines annoy me in the same way time travel ones do. Doesn’t mean Marvel will do this badly, or fuck it up. Just that generally I think it removes drama/tension from storytelling. Your mileage may vary. No big deal.

I mean, I enjoyed Loki.
  • The tone of the movies is whats important to me. The mumbo-jumbo I can live with in general as long as the vibe of the movie is fine.

That said the franchise is becoming increasingly mumbo-jumbo heavy to the point I fear of ending up a bit lost as to what the hell is going on and I say that as someone who watches all this stuff and watches the odd YouTube thing filling stuff in.

For these franchise things I have a Dad test. My dad specifically. He enjoys watching these blockbuster movies but won't watch them all or follow along with what is coming up etc and defo won't watch the TV shows.
    The test is if I whacked this on would he know what the fuck is happening. I feel Marvel are getting to the point of failing that test.
    Infinity War/Endgame probably fail the test but in a justifiable way, they rounded off a slowly building story.
    This is a Spiderman film (still the biggest Marvel brand) at the start of the new run of movies. I'm not sure making it so complex is a great idea.
  • I think Marvel are smart enough (ie. good enough at what they do) to make a complex story easy to follow.

I fell off the hype train around Age of Ultron last time around, because that was the point where they started to fail my equivalent of Liv’s Dad test - Mrs poprock fell asleep during the movie because she stopped giving a damn about all these characters she couldn’t remember or hadn’t watched the backstories to.
  • They have done a bang up job overall so I will give them the benefit of the doubt but nothing is forever.
  • That song lasted forever.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Quite enjoyed this week’s What If. It even referenced the Ang Lee Hulk film, which is a deep cut for the MCU.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Multiverses are a product of comic narratives becoming too unwieldy and needing resets when X hero has done Y Z times.

That being said, I'm here for Alfred Molina only.
  • Another good episode. This series is second to Loki for me in terms of marvel shows.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Will be great to have Willem Defoe too. Was that his cackle or a generic one?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Thought that was decent enough again. Not really sure why they kicked off with a slightly duff episode 1 (doesn't seem to be anything to do with chronological order otherwise episodes 2 and 3 would be reversed). I still would like a bigger budget for the animation but I guess they're paying for a lot of big budget actors so maybe the overall budget is decent despite it not all showing on screen. (Star Wars: The Clone Wars had a big budget for animation but replaced the cast with soundalikes.)
  • Elf its defo Dafoe. Electro and sandman are both briefly glipsed is the lizard in a blink and youll miss 2 frame dark shot. I assume alternate variant mysterio shows up too. So sinister 6
    PSN - minkymu
  • I’d be not excited for The Jackson Five tbh.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I dunno. If you were a school kid like Peter i imagine Michael would be pretty terrifying
    PSN - minkymu
  • :D
  • I’m expecting them to retire the current spider-guy and replace him with that Miles Davis guy at the end of this one.
  • Hope so. Really dislike this version of him. The actor is annoying, both films have been bad, the whole way he's been handled in the MCU has been a total misfire for me.
  • I've been agreeably surprised by him tbh, but he'll be getting a bit long in the tooth for the roll now...and expensive.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Is this Tom Holland that you’re talking about?

If so, I don’t see him going anywhere. Marvel have already lost a large number of their iconic superheroes, the traditional Peter Parker Spider-Man seems like the clear choice to lead the next iteration of the Avengers. I also assume that Sony have been leaning into Miles Morales in their stuff owing to an agreement to let Marvel have a clear run at Peter Parker.

Also, Holland hasn’t even become a journalist in the MCU yet.
  • He's meant to be school age in these films. He's currently 25.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Marvel’s currently spooling up its next decade of films. I expect that the plan is to start with him in high school and then move him into the Daily Bugle at some point.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Holland hasn’t even become a journalist in the MCU yet.
    Peter Parker wasn't a journalist tho. OG Parker sold photos to The Bugle as a freelancer. There was, I'm lead to believe, a reboot in the comics in the early 2000s where he was hired by The Bugle as a web-designer, so I guess they could go down that route, but I'm still betting on them ditching Holland (cos MONEY), and the whole multiverse/Miles Morales thang gives them the perfect opportunity.
    The Spider-Rights between Sony and Marvel are such a fecking minefield that I guess pretty much anything could happen tho.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Disney stuck with RDJ for a decade, he must have become pricey in that time. When you’re regularly releasing billion dollar grossing films, you can afford whichever actor is most likely to keep the gravy train rolling.
  • I'm pretty sure Tony Stark wasn't meant to be 15 years old.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!