The MCU Spoiler Thread ('free' on Disney+ UK pace)
  • Whats that spoiler about? I don't want to read any spiderman stuff, but I've seen Hawkeye.
  • Final episode of Hawkeye gets a thumbs up. Mid-credits scene gets the hardest of thumbs down. Almost ruined the whole thing. 
    Spoiler:
  • Chopper's spoiler is Hawkeye-only content.
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
    Hawkeye related
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Ah, ok. Regarding both spoilers.
    Spoiler:
  • I stopped watching Hawkeye when
    Spoiler:
    showed up, realised I had never watched Black Widow, so now I'm going to watch that then go back to Hawkeye so I know what's going on
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We don’t need to spoiler tag Hawkeye in here, people. Spider-Man, sure, lots won’t have had a chance to watch it yet, but if you’re watching Hawkeye, you should just not open this thread until you’ve caught up.
  • Finished Hawkeye last night and overall it gets a thumbs up from me. I'm an easy shill for marvel but it just felt better paced than some of the other shows and I liked the smaller scale. 

Minor niggle - way too many tracksuit guys showing up in the end fight. Reminded me of that bit in daredevil season 2 where we see hundreds of Ninja climbing a building only for Daredevil and elektra to fight... 6, 7? It was still great fun seeing all the different arrows though.

Also while it was great seeing Kingpin show up, for some reason it annoyed me that he was mostly referred to as Kingpin, where as in Netflix he was more commonly known as Fisk. Its a silly thing I know

Thought the cast was good but surprised Echo is down for a show of her own as she came across as the lest charismatic. But I'm sure I'll give it a go.

Pugh is great as the new Black Widow. Her dead pan delivery with the accent is great. She was the highlight of this, so much so that I might give Black Widow movie another go.

So since the post infinity war era I think Marvel has done ok-ish. I feel its not going to be as easy to float all these narratives for the mainstream blockbuster crowd but I am enjoying it all. 

Black Widow - Dull, fell asleep. But maybe I was just too tired.
    Shang Shi - Much better than expected
    Loki - Good but felt half finished
    Wandavision - Didn't quite live up to potential but it was ok
    Falcon and Winter Soldier - Didn't really enjoy this one as much but I do like Mackey as the new Cap
    Hawkeye - Nice and Solid - very much liked that it was more small scale

Havent seen Spidey 3 yet... avoiding the spoilers.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I’ve just rejoined this thread after watching Hawkeye and I think I mostly agree with Dave’s roundup at the end there (with the exception of really enjoying Black Widow purely for the stellar casting combo of Johansson and Pugh).

My expectations were low but Hawkeye turned out to be the most entertaining yet of the Disney+ shows. Still not as good as the Netflix shows though, for me.

One thing that makes more sense now, having been reintroduced to Fisk - all the interviews/quotes where Kevin Feige said ‘Yeah, sure - Charlie Cox as Daredevil is MCU canon now.’
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Florence Pugh is absolutely superb despite the fact that she’s channelling Jodie Comer’s Villanelle at all times.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So, Eternals is up on Disney+ then. Certainly not top tier Marvel by any stretch of the imagination, but entertaining enough if you’re ill. The one thing that stood out to me was:

Spoiler:
  • Anyone can mention the name can’t they? It’s referenced in a previous Spider-Man too?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Possibly, I dunno how it works with that type of thing.
  • I thought Eternals was dull as dishwater. It’s pretty much the film I originally feared Thor or Guardians of the Galaxy might be. Too much pompous space/epic nonsense and not enough humanity.
  • The only thing that annoyed me about Eternals is the pointless sex scene.

It went from something I'll let my son watch, to something I won't.
  • I’ll have to pause it, tell the Boy to close his eyes, and forward it a little. Glad I did watch it before them, but I tend to do that on all MCU movies now.
  • Wow how explicit is it??
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nothing beyond what you’d expect to see in a 9pm BBC drama. All carefully angled to hide any nips or arses.
  • Ok, just penetration then.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Wow how explicit is it??

Not very, but boy is 8 and I think it's still a much for him, fine for my 11yo daughter though I reckon.
  • WTF, thanks for the heads up.
  • Im watching now and just got to the sexy stuff.
    Any 8 year old worth their weight would have wondered off bored shitless by the 15 minutes or so prior.

I might not finish this. It is immensely dull.
  • It’s the worst of the MCU stuff. So boring.
  • Can't wait to have to watch it so their next 10 movies makes sense!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The only thing that annoyed me about Eternals is the pointless sex scene.

It went from something I'll let my son watch, to something I won't.

This massively caught me out with my boys. A quick pause and fast forward was in order, while they ask me why they were kissing with no clothes on.

I found the film incredibly boring and it is, in my view, perhaps the worst of all the Marvel movies so far. It just wasn’t interesting at all.

Aside for complaining about the story and characters, the real crime is how dark the film is. Almost every scene was shot at night and was poorly lit. It was a mess on my TV.
  • I put my review in the Movie Record thread but 'boring' is very much the word.
  • I thought it was all muted and dark as well. Glad it wasn’t just me.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I just checked to see if there was any difference between the IMAX Enhanced and normal version being illegibly dark but they're both just as bad. I ended up having to watch it in a literally pitch dark room to be able to see it properly and that's on an OLED with theoretically infinite contrast - not sure how people that need a light on or don't have great contrast on their TV will get on.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    OLEDs may theoretically have infinite contrast, but they do tend to lack in peak brightness compared to LED and even LCD displays.
  • Some interesting theories here on why so many movies are dark/sludgy/etc nowadays:

https://www.vox.com/culture/22840526/colors-movies-tv-gray-digital-color-sludge

(It includes a YouTube vid that’s particularly critical of ‘flat’ grading in Marvel films.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!