The MCU Spoiler Thread ('free' on Disney+ UK pace)
  • I quite liked Moon Knight. First episode fitting a lot in. I'm a big fan of the sudden wake up/not knowing where you are kind of vibe. It was well done in Momento.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I didn't even know Ethan Hawke was starring, so that's a big plus. Yeah episode one was quite good I have to say.

If it's ok with the hawkman, it's ok with me.
  • Rev wrote:
    I quite liked Moon Knight. First episode fitting a lot in. I'm a big fan of the sudden wake up/not knowing where you are kind of vibe. It was well done in Momento.

You need to watch The Night House then. Also on Disney+.
    Or The Ritual on Netflix. He's used the same trick twice but when the sequences are that effective I can't be upset.

• Well moon knight is great. Loved that first episode
    PSN - minkymu
  • Thats the second episode done. I liked it. Really like Ethan Hawke and Oscar in this. The story seems to be moving at a fairly brisk pace which is nice.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Thats the second episode done. I liked it. Really like Ethan Hawke and Oscar in this. The story seems to be moving at a fairly brisk pace which is nice.
    will be watching that tonight

PSN - minkymu

Its only 6 episodes I think? More like this Marvel, nothing worse than padding out a show just to hit 8 or 10 episodes (looking at you netflix)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yep im enjoying moon knight a lot. Isaacs is great in it. Ep 2 was an enjoyable romp, although i do hope he has something more than just jackals to fight with.

After the excellent Hawkeye this feels like Marvel ramping up a gear
    PSN - minkymu
  • Enjoyed episode 2 but the one thing thats bugging me is that the Steven Character isnt very likable. This makes it hard to have sympathy for him when things are going wrong. But I'm wondering is this deliberate and he will end up turning on Marc? If thats not the case, than I think the show is failing because surely you should be rooting for Steven to a degree.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I tried, but I don’t like it. After two episodes, I think I’m out.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Same. Enjoying the show generally, nice to have a different take on an origin story.
  • I also watched Ep2 last night. Still sitting firmly in the this is absolute garbage camp. :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Comes down to whether you like Isaac's performance(s). If you find his alright bruv grating then must be near unwatchable
  • Apparently he based his voice on comedian Russel Kane.
    Sooooooo...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I quite appreciate the fact that this is an American company setting a show in a London that actually vaguely resembles the London that I know rather than the one which appears in tourist brochures (“this is my ends!”)
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Comes down to whether you like Isaac's performance(s). If you find his alright bruv grating then must be near unwatchable
    I do indeed find Isaac's performance to be borderline unbearable. One character is an annoying buffoon, and the other is just an asshole, and he manages to make both accents sound absolutely terrible, but that's not the sum of it. There's literally nothing good in this show to make up for that. The writing, plotting, directing, music, vfx, you name it, it's all terrible.
    Genuinely don't know what people are finding in this to enjoy, but hey, it would be a dull world if we all liked the same things.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think I would have enjoyed this story more if it was a movie. This feels like an extraordinarily flabby movie split into hour-long chunks to me and I constantly feel like I'm ahead of the story because the split personality mystery thing isn't that difficult to figure out, particularly when the pace is so slow. As a movie this would have been a clever-clever WTF type thing where your brain barely has chance to keep on top of the plot.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Conversely I don't think this would work at all as a movie.
  • g.man wrote:
    Genuinely don't know what people are finding in this to enjoy, but hey, it would be a dull world if we all liked the same things.

Aye, it’s not Isaac’s performance that I don’t like. I just think the whole premise and the way it’s being delivered (plot, characters, styling, etc) is cheesy. I think I said after episode one - feels like a kids show dressed up in adult trappings. Scooby Doo with punching and kicking. It’s just not doing anything for me. Glad other people are enjoying it though.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I think I would have enjoyed this story more if it was a movie. This feels like an extraordinarily flabby movie split into hour-long chunks to me and I constantly feel like I'm ahead of the story because the split personality mystery thing isn't that difficult to figure out, particularly when the pace is so slow. As a movie this would have been a clever-clever WTF type thing where your brain barely has chance to keep on top of the plot.

Fair point. I'm wondering myself does it need all the build up time. Episode 2 was fine but the resolution on Steven allowing Marc contorl really seemed dragged out. I'm kinda hoping there is more to the split personality thing other than whats shown so far. As you say, it was fairly run of the mill from the start.

I think this is why I havent taken to the steven character. its not necessarily Issacs performance but his understanding of whats going on is being dragged out a bit too much. Even his interaction with Marcs wife felt a bit painful (her refusal to accept that he wasnt Marc was also a bit WTF)

I'm happy to see it out, there have been some nice touches and I like the egyptian theme. But like much of the Disney MU stuff, it's good but not amazing me and it all still feels like set up for something else but there is only so long that can big reveal can be held off for. 

INteresting aside, Oscar Issaac is apparently a rare exception of a main title character who does not have follow up movies / series included in his contract. He can be one and done with this series
    SFV - reddave360
  • Thank fuck for that!
  • Ill say this much. So far Ethan Hawke has more of a story as a villain than that shower of gowls in Falcon and Winter Solider.
    Which is nice.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Interesting. I thought that the time it takes to come to terms with what the fuck is happening to Steven, and Layla's disbelief of the situation, rang utterly true. Perhaps our concepts of reality (or perhaps TV reality) have been bent out of shape with all the fantasy super hero stuff, like when watching zombie films, the frustration at how long it takes them to realise "shit zombies". In actual real life, if my significant other presented themselves like that, I certainly wouldn't be like "ooh shit look multiple personalities", I'd be "cut the fucking crap dickface" so that seemed reasonable

And Steven's reactions to what the shit is going on also seemed on point, but I mean I've never had or met anyone having what must be a traumatic experience like his so who knows
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m mostly with Funk on that, although I did find it a bit weird that they got back to the flat and both of them started chatting about their favourite poets and Egyptology rather than either of them immediately trying to work out wtf was going on.
  • Aye, it's just shit-tier writing.
  • She found the book, lolled at him having it in his weird safe house , he started quoting from it and said my favourite poet, she’s like stop being a troll

She continues to think he is mocking her when he “condescendingly” explains basic hieroglyphs and Egyptology to her, the clear implication being she’s the brains and knows all this stuff, and he’s (Marc) the muscle

He’s (Steven) like “oh my word my perfect woman” and as usual very flustered by the developing situation. She’s like I’ve had enough of this shit here’s the divorce paper

I dunno thought it was economical amusing and well acted
  • Weird it’s so divisive
  • Y’all been drinking the Mahvel Kool Aid.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The split personality thing reminds me of Clara from Doctor Who, who the Doctor meets twice in different incarnations before encountering the actual character. I never really felt that Clara worked as a character because you end up with the actor and audience all struggling to figure out what this character is about.

It's slightly different with this but it has that same thing of none of the versions of the character actually feeling like the real version?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!