Returnal - on PC now
  • Trailer for those that haven’t seen it yet:

• Endless modes aren't really my thing, but then there's mention of new story bits and maybe I'll have to play it now.

I'm not sure it needs anything else though. I liked it as it was as a complete thing and almost wish they'd left it alone, or just added a mode that was detached from the rest of it like the daily challenges.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ll give the tower a go to see what other story bits come up but I won’t play the co-op personally. It’s a pretty much perfect games as it is.
  • Endless modes don't appeal to me either so I doubt I'd touch that but co-op Returnal could be 100% my jam. If they nail the finer points I don't see why one of the best single player games ever couldn't successfully become one of the best two player games ever.
  • Reminder that the Returnal Ascension update is out now and available for free. Got a busy week but aim to give it a proper bash this weekend.
  • Haven't posted this back to Muzzy yet so I'll have a look tonight.
  • Had a quick go at the tower this afternoon.  It's absolutely superb.

I'd sort of assumed that it would be nothing particularly special (which may have helped I guess) but, yeah, it's a thing in its own right. I'd also forgotten how much I just enjoy playing the game itself - it was a real delight just to get back in there again.  (Even if I'm incredibly rusty.)

Gently spoilery impressions follow.
    Spoiler:
    In short, if you were worried that Housemarque would somehow screw this up, don't be.  I would have happily paid for this.

I'm not sure how many more hours I'll put into it - Elden Ring's also calling - but if you already have the game you'd be mad not to have a look. If you haven't, then the best game of last year just got a bit better.

So far I've only got to phase 4.  The high score table tells me there's an awful lot higher you can go...
  • Can't believe this has co-op now. I should grab PS+ to try it really.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Really enjoying playing this but I am absolutely lousy at it. Can’t even get to the first boss. Strange considering I am fairly adept at most Housemarque games.

Any tips that aren’t git gud?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That tower is fun. Still got it… sort of. First run took down boss and got to second phase where I stupidly kept my level 10 Hollowseeker. Made it to room 8 though.

Yep can see how this will drag me back in. After Elden Ring of course.

Final score: 427,453.

Pew pew.
  • Different for everyone but advice I'd give to myself if I was starting out: Never stand still. Shoot from the hip. Aim to increase energy with the health pick ups, which of course is easier said than done. Remember you can gain a little health from sleeping in the ship (once per run). Always worth the trip, especially if it helps with possible health boosts (three standard green pick ups increase your health bar if you pick them up at full health). Find a weapon you like to focus on as much as possible and don't ditch it just because something you like less is a higher level. Big health regeneration items are better and cheaper than the astronaut figure. Never ever pick anything up that extends your dash cooldown.
  • Also, the items that make obelites briefly regenerate health are life savers if you use them wisely.
  • YMMV on this one but always play it like you intend to win worked for me. Meaning that I always scoped out the nooks and crannies of the first area, even after I could move on, because every little helps. Means you need to play for long sessions though, and I guess the practical experience of dying three times in an hour is just as useful in terms of gittin gud as dying once.

Such a great game.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Really enjoying playing this but I am absolutely lousy at it. Can’t even get to the first boss. Strange considering I am fairly adept at most Housemarque games.

Any tips that aren’t git gud?

If it makes you feel any better, I think that’s the standard opening line for anyone joining this thread. Usually followed by “I don’t think I can do this” (especially me) and then eventually pulling it off. (Even me)

So first of all, keep going. You’ll get better, and it will get easier.

Beyond that?

Practice the overload (which I’m terrible at) as it helps not to jam your weapon.

If there are a lot of enemies, try to spot who’s going to attack next and target them as it will often stagger them and prevent the attack. (Particularly important with the bats)

Dash. Usually forwards - you’re invincible when dashing.

Experiment with parasites, as they’re often game changers. (Any that make malfunctions worse are an easy choice early game - take them and just don’t pick up and malignant items.)

Where possible grab silphium when you have a full health bar, as it will always be resin, and help increase overall health.

Figure out which weapons work best for you - worry less about the level and more about whether it does what you need it to. Try not to switch them out until you’ve levelled them up (ie the new trait is at 100%). Next time you find that particular weapon the trait will still be up - if it has it.

Keep moving.

Use the map. Try not to leave any power ups behind, but also remember the map shows enemies. It can help you spot anyone creeping up on you.

Most (not all) enemies can’t leave the room they’re in. So if needs be, run away.

If you find an astronaut figure, take it.

If you have a melee attack, use it. Some of the bigger monsters are very weak when smacked in the face.

Enjoy it, and don’t worry about progress at this stage - and suddenly you’ll find you’re getting somewhere.

Avoid gold rooms until you’re confident.

Save keys for doors.

Lots more tips in previous pages of this thread, but I’ll stop there for now. Happy to give more spoilery tips later if wanted.
  • I find using the sword helps a lot.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Thanks all. I was going to ask about the sword and whether it’s preferable close-up. Been mainly using it to open vine areas and break shields.

It seems so.

Looking forward to another run tomorrow. With this and my daily Dead Cells run, it’s covering my gaming needs at the moment!
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Had a quick go at the tower this afternoon.  It's absolutely superb.

In short, if you were worried that Housemarque would somehow screw this up, don't be.  I would have happily paid for this.

Oh, that’s what I wanted to hear. Looking forward to getting on this.
  • My tip, Oli, is to always be aggressive! Show those enemies who is boss!
  • The sword is a one shot kill for a lot of enemies!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And takes down some of the troubling big stompy guys.
  • I didn't use the sword that much, ngl.
  • It's definitely about finding the style that fits you.

I mostly keep my distance and shoot stuff, nipping in with the sword for the big guys that need it.  When my daughter plays she zips about smacking everything with the sword.

I get hit less than her, but she always has a lot more obolites...
  • Downloaded the update. Really to get some time in this weekend.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    That tower is fun. Still got it… sort of. First run took down boss and got to second phase where I stupidly kept my level 10 Hollowseeker. Made it to room 8 though.

Yep can see how this will drag me back in. After Elden Ring of course.

Final score: 427,453.

Pew pew.

Phase 2 room 8 for my go too! Not sure on score, will check later. Should've ignored the rotland grobber, I'm no good with it.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    That tower is fun. Still got it… sort of. First run took down boss and got to second phase where I stupidly kept my level 10 Hollowseeker. Made it to room 8 though. Yep can see how this will drag me back in. After Elden Ring of course. Final score: 427,453. Pew pew.
    Phase 2 room 8 for my go too! Not sure on score, will check later. Should've ignored the rotland grobber, I'm no good with it.

I'm going to take my slightly better first run (phase 4 baby) and ignore the fact that Boris's score is roughly the same, with half the rooms.

One thing I enjoyed with the tower run was that I was forced early on to be playing with weapons I'd previously ignored.  Though ironically the weapon I regretted ditching was the level 45 Rotgland Lobber.

The other thing I liked, on the subject of weapons (it's a very mild spoiler)...
    Spoiler:
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    The lockdown rooms get me. I try to keep mobile but the camera doesn’t seem able to keep up with me. Thinking about watching a few streams to see if I’m missing something obvious.
  • 414 sonething was my score earlier.
  • Had a quick go again this evening, didn’t get as high (Phase 3 floor 12), but a better score of 1,309755.  Which still ranks pretty low on the overall score table.

I think I’m more in it for the story bits than the score to be honest.  I’ve only done 3 runs but the…
    Spoiler:
    …has been different on returning every time.  Waiting for a few more of you to do it before comparing notes, but there’s some great little details in there.
  • It's a shame it's an endless tower, for me anyway. I like things to have an end to work towards. I'll dabble because I love the game but without the dangling carrot of eventual victory I doubt I'll have much staying power.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's a shame it's an endless tower, for me anyway. I like things to have an end to work towards. I'll dabble because I love the game but without the dangling carrot of eventual victory I doubt I'll have much staying power.

There are a couple of carrots in there.
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!