Returnal - on PC now
  • Had a go at the tower now,
    Spoiler:
    Beat a boss there on
    Spoiler:
    and carried on for a bit, and had a
    Spoiler:
    game keeps giving and I'm loving how all the threads are interwoven and coming together.

Back to progress for now though I think.
    Hit me up kestla if you wanna try some coop and il start spoilering my discovery's etc so I'm not spoiling it for you.

Pew fucking pew!

Edit: just to say it's in the game collection on psextra so no need for premium.
  • kestla wrote:
    Finally started this since it became available of Plus Premium. Boy oh boy, what a game! I can't believe I didn't pick this up sooner.

I'm still early in, but it's been well and truly worth the praise bestowed upon it so far.

Enjoy kestla.

Think it’s a game a lot of people would have skipped and relies a lot on word of mouth. If you have any issues, there’s a lot of decent pew pew-ers in this thread. And Elf.

:D

Yet to reach a boss, and the amount of stuff it throws at you seems overwhelming right now, but loving everything about it right now!
  • kestla wrote:
    Finally started this since it became available of Plus Premium. Boy oh boy, what a game! I can't believe I didn't pick this up sooner. I'm still early in, but it's been well and truly worth the praise bestowed upon it so far.
    Enjoy kestla. Think it’s a game a lot of people would have skipped and relies a lot on word of mouth. If you have any issues, there’s a lot of decent pew pew-ers in this thread. And Elf.

Mate, I beat every boss first time, except boss 3 which I fell off on then rinsed on second try. Don’t test me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bring back the daily challenges if you dare, I will crush you.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Narrator: he crushed nobody
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    elf has jokes today
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Bring back the daily challenges if you dare, I will crush you.

<3

Work is stupidly busy. If someone else wants to organise them, I’ll join. Otherwise gonna have to wait a few weeks.
  • I done a couple of them, 5 ether for finishing and I got to try a grenade launcher twice.
  • Got to 3rd boss and took him to his 3rd phase but fell off the platformy things twice and failed.

Not made it back yet but been really sore in shoulders after Fridays shenanigans.
    Loving it though.

Pew pew.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Pew pew!
  • This is the most unrewarding game I've played in a long time. I'm getting nowhere, the weapons are balls and a three stage first boss fight can fuck off. Dodge having a cool down in a bullet hell game?..
    I've spent ages exploring, getting 'good gear' only to be attacked by some bat birds, get wiped and just waste my time again and again. I thought if I kept going I'd grow into it and scale up some kind of skills, but nah. Boosts that impede you, healing that's completely unbalanced so you have a bad two minutes, you can forget about saving any run. I'm glad I rented it because I've not bounced off something this hard in a long time . Aye, I know lots of you like it but it will be getting Returnalled as soon as I can.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Rev wrote:
    This is the most unrewarding game I've played in a long time. I'm getting nowhere, the weapons are balls and a three stage first boss fight can fuck off. Dodge having a cool down in a bullet hell game?.. I've spent ages exploring, getting 'good gear' only to be attacked by some bat birds, get wiped and just waste my time again and again. I thought if I kept going I'd grow into it and scale up some kind of skills, but nah. Boosts that impede you, healing that's completely unbalanced so you have a bad two minutes, you can forget about saving any run. I'm glad I rented it because I've not bounced off something this hard in a long time . Aye, I know lots of you like it but it will be getting Returnalled as soon as I can.

I was about to write a long patronising post about how if you stick with it you'll click, with advice on how to mitigate some of the pain of the above but...  I appreciate life's too short to be doing something you don't enjoy, so fair enough. Sometimes Pew Pew ain't enough.

(It remains my favourite game of all time despite feeling almost everything you felt at the start.)
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Rev wrote:
    This is the most unrewarding game I've played in a long time. I'm getting nowhere, the weapons are balls and a three stage first boss fight can fuck off. Dodge having a cool down in a bullet hell game?.. I've spent ages exploring, getting 'good gear' only to be attacked by some bat birds, get wiped and just waste my time again and again. I thought if I kept going I'd grow into it and scale up some kind of skills, but nah. Boosts that impede you, healing that's completely unbalanced so you have a bad two minutes, you can forget about saving any run. I'm glad I rented it because I've not bounced off something this hard in a long time . Aye, I know lots of you like it but it will be getting Returnalled as soon as I can.

I was about to write a long patronising post about how if you stick with it you'll click, with advice on how to mitigate some of the pain of the above but...  I appreciate life's too short to be doing something you don't enjoy, so fair enough. Sometimes Pew Pew ain't enough.

(It remains my favourite game of all time despite feeling almost everything you felt at the start.)

My fault, I went into it completely blind and I thought I would stick it out but I think it just rubs me up the wrong way.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Tips would be gratefully received
  • Sorry to hear that Rev but if you’re bouncing off it hard and it’s making you unhappy then…yeah, makes sense to pack it in. Sometimes games just really don’t click with peeps - I’ve certainly had that with games others love.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Try different guns until you get one that sticks with your play style. In biome one I preferred to keep my distance with the carbine.

Connected to this is get ammo and perks that synergies with how you like to play. The gun perks carry on over runs so level up those perks you like.

Get used to dash. Get a feel for the distance and cool down time on it. This is vital to avoid hits especially boss bullets.

Practice the reload mechanic. Can’t recall what it’s called. (Adrenaline?) if you get it high enough you get a radar/sonar that helps a lot. But get hit once and it resets.

For those big guys in biome one get close and sword em. They go down easy from that. Same applies to the tree enemies. Dash to them and give em a whack or two.

With the green pick ups if you have full health some of them can increase your health. If you aren’t in full health they just heal you. You can find other ways to heal (the bed in one room, your ship and pick ups). Try to heal that way and then go back to grab the green stuff to grow your health.

At the shop always try to grab the health boost and the spaceman if available. Spaceman gives you another chance if you die.
  • Thank you Boris
  • If you don't mind a progression spoiler it might be comforting to know that
    Spoiler:
  • I'm the same as you Rev. 

I know i've not really given it much of a chance yet, but I can tell that this sort of game really isn't for me. 

Just don't have the patience for it.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Try different guns until you get one that sticks with your play style. In biome one I preferred to keep my distance with the carbine.

Connected to this is get ammo and perks that synergies with how you like to play. The gun perks carry on over runs so level up those perks you like.

Get used to dash. Get a feel for the distance and cool down time on it. This is vital to avoid hits especially boss bullets.

Practice the reload mechanic. Can’t recall what it’s called. (Adrenaline?) if you get it high enough you get a radar/sonar that helps a lot. But get hit once and it resets.

For those big guys in biome one get close and sword em. They go down easy from that. Same applies to the tree enemies. Dash to them and give em a whack or two.

With the green pick ups if you have full health some of them can increase your health. If you aren’t in full health they just heal you. You can find other ways to heal (the bed in one room, your ship and pick ups). Try to heal that way and then go back to grab the green stuff to grow your health.

At the shop always try to grab the health boost and the spaceman if available. Spaceman gives you another chance if you die.

This is all good advice. Would also add, try sprinting for evasion rather than just dodging. If you use the dodge, dodging forward and through projectiles can often be the right play.

And never stop moving, where possible. You’re less likely to have en enemy smash you from behind that way.

Good headphones also very useful, especially in certain sections.
  • Rev wrote:
    Tips would be gratefully received

Well, you asked for it...

Firstly a quick progression spoiler similar to Moot's:
    Spoiler:
    Boris and Cinty have pretty much got you covered already - I'll just reiterate: keep moving, use the scenery for cover, and don't be afraid to use the sword from time to time. (My daughter barely uses the guns at all, and just runs around smacking everything with the sword, whereas I'm more of a keep your distance player.  She gets more money, I tend to have more health BUT some monsters really need to be melee'd).

All the following are suggestions for play early on, you may well opt to ignore some of them if/when you feel you've got the hang of it...

Never leave a room until you've cleaned it out.  (Some things won't be reachable yet annoyingly.) As Boris says, ideally you want to grab health packs when on full health, to increase your maximum.  

There are various secret-ish bits.  For instance...
    Spoiler:
    Save keys for doors.

Learn how the weapon upgrades work - generally if a weapon has a trait you like try to hang onto it until it's maxed out.  Next play through it will be at that level by default.

Chuck all your ether in that thing at the start unless you're wanting to save it for a replicator. It adds potential power ups to the game (which remain in rotation), and whilst some aren't all that, others are very much worth having.

Many weapons can stagger the enemy. This has the effect of briefly stopping their attack and is particularly useful when you have a lot of flying bastards coming at you.(I will often stagger and move onto the next one that's getting ready to attack me.)

It is almost never worth getting malignant items in the early part of the game in my opinion. 

If you have a malfunction that causes damage on falls, remember that if you jump just before you hit the ground, you can negate it.  (Though I always forget to do it.)

Parasites with effects that worsen malfunctions are usually pretty safe to pick up in the early part of the game if you're not planning on scooping up any malignant items.  (Malicious, oily or slimy parasites)

Shatterskin (extra life) and Huskweaver (extra health) parasites are almost always worth having.  

In the early game find a gun you like and stick to it - but don't be afraid of new options when they appear.  Some of the late game weapons are a lot more fun. Equally, if you do give the game another go and end up staying until the later stages, that's the point at which it's worth experimenting. Sometimes the gun you thought was terrible, can turn out to be incredible - particularly once a few of the traits are unlocked.

Opinion varies on this one, but I found I did best when I took on absolutely everything in a level before the boss - including the challenge room (usually just before). A good run then means you're hitting the boss with more health, and a more powerful weapon. Though obviously this takes longer than just piling in there.

The game expects you to struggle by design- but it's also not insurmountable. Veterans of this thread will know that my early entries consisted of me frequently stating it was impossible and that I would never, ever, manage to get past one obstacle or another. I always did - partly because I got better, partly because those tiny incremental changes made it slightly more do-able.  Though, again, I can totally understand not wanting to keeping hitting your head against it until that happens...
  • Such a good thread to be stuck in.  Everyone in here has felt progression was hopeless at one point or another I'm sure.

I found that it helps if Muzzy bets £20 you can't do it.
  • This game is too hard for Muzzy
  • Different kinds of difficulty is an interesting topic. I'm convinced I could never finish any bullet hell title worth its salt, for example. Returnal demands an unusual combination of twitch skills, patience and a determination to not lose heart after the umpteenth 'wasted' session*. There are plenty of 2D rogues with insurmountable odds that you'll gradually overcome with a 20hr training montage but not many that spring to mind that are chucking things about in 3D. It also requires unusually long play sessions for this sort of thing. I know it's got a suspend mode these days, but it's such a flow game I only used it once.

*'Wasted' = not wasted.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This is everything I dreamed of. God fucking damn.

Only done two cycles so far. Got my arse destroyed first cycle.

Second cycle I got to what I think is the first major boss, down to half health in his third wave before the twat got me. Seems simple enough. That AR is amazing, think mine was +4.

Progressed the story in some trippy ways.

Had five parasites and got the achievement.

But overall God Damn this is a videogame.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oh and sword is drool
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Pew pew pew! Glad you’re enjoying it DS.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It handles so beautifully. Madness that something this good is an early next gen title.
  • It handles so beautifully.

Yeah, this is the thing that makes the whole game sing - movement, jumping, dodging, traversal - it’s all liquid silk.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!