Deathloop - Round and round we go
  • A fetch quest? I think you only need one battery and it’s in the room?

I'm trying to divert the power to every district in one day, which requires all six generators to be running. The map design on Complex is so confusing. Are you saying I can just recharge the one battery and use that to start all six generators???
  • I need shooting I can't believe how stupid I've been. Jesus Christ.
  • A fetch quest? I think you only need one battery and it’s in the room?

I'm trying to divert the power to every district in one day, which requires all six generators to be running. The map design on Complex is so confusing. Are you saying I can just recharge the one battery and use that to start all six generators???

Yes
  • Do the generators covered in booby traps even work? I blew them up the first time and never went back to look.

I just ended up going back there twice after my initial investigation instead. Opened two of the doors one time, and the final one the next.
  • I think you can at least get the laser one to work and I’m 90 percent sure the mine one can. There’s a red box on each which can be blown up by the traps which signifies if the generator is still working (and the red light).

• Not finished the game yet, but getting close I think. One thing that I've noticed is that the trophy design seems a cut above and encourages repeat attempts at levels with different requirements and experimentation. Wish more trophies were as well thought out.
  • I think you can at least get the laser one to work and I’m 90 percent sure the mine one can. There’s a red box on each which can be blown up by the traps which signifies if the generator is still working (and the red light).

You can get all the generators powered up but the trip mine one is hard as you have to crouch walk very slowly and quickly disarm them. I'm not sure if there's a trinket that can turn them friendly or not? I've just now noticed that each battery has a level and you can power multiple generators with one battery. I thought that when the generator spits the battery out, it was spent and it needed recharging right away, but in fact the level of charge is visible when you pick the battery up. I've also discovered there are multiple charging stations not just the one I was traipsing back and forth too. FML.

I'm hoping there's not too much more of that shit because I'm close to sacking the game off but would like to finish it...
  • There is a trinket but it’s a top tier one.
    You can get all the generators powered up but the trip mine one is hard as you have to crouch walk very slowly and quickly disarm them. I'm not sure if there's a trinket that can turn them friendly or not? I've just now noticed that each battery has a level and you power multiple generators with one battery. I thought that when the generator spits the battery out, it was spent and it needed recharging right away, but in fact the level of charge is visible when you pick the battery up. I've also discovered there are multiple charging stations not just the one I was traipsing back and forth too. FML. I'm hoping there's not too much more of that shit because I'm close to sacking the game off but would like to finish it...

There is a trinket, I was lucky and got it relatively early on - it makes a lot of this stuff more entertaining.  I still managed to blow myself up at the generator though as I made the mines friendly, but didn't reckon on the fact that an ejected battery would still trigger them...
  • The shooting battery was clearly unfriendly
  • The gameplay 'loop' has become a wee bit stale for me now. I think the games biggest problem is the fact that it gives you most of the OP stuff right at the start of the game. I had the silenced SMG within an hour of playing, Shift and Nexus came shortly after, and that pretty much broke the game for me. It's too easy to just Nexus and Shift about the place popping heads in one shot with a silencer. Having to force myself not to use them is no fun, and it soon becomes rote - this is the place where 3 people are gathered so the game wants me to use Nexus on them, here is where I shift to the rafters and pop them all one by one. It all becomes a bit pedestrian and repetitive.

The same thing happened to me with Dishonored and Prey. The mechanics wear a bit thin after a while. Not sure I'm gonna see it through now. Fun game though.
  • I think the games biggest problem is the fact that it gives you most of the OP stuff right at the start of the game.

It's a fair point. Very easy to hoover up powerful trinkets and guns right from the off. Also, Residium gets rendered useless by the time you have everything that you need.
  • Finally got to the end of the story. My final loop was a bit of a cluster-fuck if I'm honest, but got it done.

I think I'll leave the remainder of the secrets on Blackreef undiscovered for now. It's time to move on and eBay beckons. Definitely enjoyed my time with this. The main thing that sticks is the idea of knowledge as a form of progression. It's a really interesting take and it worked for me. Would love to see the same idea tested with a bit more polish and finesse.
  • I finished this off last night.  The final run is remarkably easy once you know what you're doing (even though I'm yet to actually kill Aleksis in any of the intended ways) - it makes me wonder about going back and doing it again with that knowledge, but presumably the various codes etc change each time.

Despite having a whole host of slabs and fancy weapons at the end, I found I didn't really change much. Nexus and Aether were go to slabs, with the nail gun and rifle (with exploding ammo) as the weapons of choice.  (Nexus in particular I found difficult to give up - everytime I tried without it I would enter a roomful of people and curse myself for not being able to take them all out in one shot.)

The ending seemed a little perfunctory, but I guess a lot of the answers I'm missing are buried in the game somewhere.
    Spoiler:
    I may go back and try to uncover more at some point, as some of the side bits were the most satisfying, even if the pay offs rarely were.
    Spoiler:
    Still, I enjoyed this a fair bit.  There was a brief moment where it started to seem too repetitive, but it fell right before the home strait.

It doesn't come close to snatching the "Best Time Loop Game" crown from Returnal, but it's a fun little caper.
  • I've just discovered the 'big twist' and it's just put paid to a game I was already bored shitless with. Complete nonsense. Pretty amazed the praise it got for the story. I thought it was terrible. Deathloop is an average experience overall, nowhere near a must buy. It's quite boring to play. I was always waiting for the good bit but it never came. 4 moderately sized maps at different times of day ain't enough for me, and the shooting is meh.

5/10
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I hadn’t seen any praise for the story? Maybe I looked I’m in the wrong place.
  • Oh I dunno it was on a podcast or a review they said it had a complex narrative and the story was deep and mysterious. Its not any of those things.

• Glad I'm not the only one that thought Deathloop was shit...
  • I knew I could rely on you Franny
  • It's won some awards according to skill ups latest video. Game direction and art direction I think. I haven't played it. Thought it looked shit. Book and cover judging y'know.
  • I thought it was average, but it deserves to be slammed to balance out all of the inflated reviews.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It seems to be picking up a decent number of GotY awards.
  • I just recommended it to a a friend, my words being ‘you’ll like it, it’s the kind of shit somehow you like’.
  • I'm enjoying it - making my way slowly through the objectives, and only just starting to think about planning a full day run. It looks lovely and controls nicely.

Gunplay is simplistic and the ai (as chalice said before) are utterly stupid. Was listening to a dev's stream a few days ago and the ai limitations (they won't leave an area, and bodies disappear) is simply due to bandwidth issues for multiplayer. I for one are really happy they gimped that part to support the weakest aspect of the game. Could be wrong - if I were to go online I might find online is thriving and makes the game totally different, maybe...

There is also no need for stealth as you can rifle them from a distance with very little risk. A shame as I like stealth but it's a no-brainer to kill everything here.

I am also sick of hearing "hellooo" from 90% of the AIs. Turning off voice in the options turns off all voices in the game - so that doesn't help.
    Music has been turned down though as most of it is crap.

Overall, I think it's pretty good as I think the world is interesting, and I'm a sucker for exploring in 1st person games. And as there aren't a million things to pick up, the controller is a fine way to play this one.

Not watched video.
  • I would rank it as one of the most overrated games of all time.
  • Watching video, not disagreeing with anything so far (I'm at 13:12).

I hate the wanky phrase 'immersive sim' anyway but this certainly isn't one of those (as the video dude correctly points out). He's currently discussing dumb ai - spot on.

Just go to stop before I get to spoilers.
  • I distinctly remember the most enjoyable time I had on this game was when I kicked someone off a roof to their death. It raised a giggle. That was within the first ten minutes.

It never got better than that.
  • It's interesting that the review talks about the game being very un-immersive sim. I've not played the other Arkane games so I was intrigued by the "immersive sim" thing, but I didn't really get it at all.

Maybe I should go check out Prey? Currently in a sale (and on PS Now).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!