• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What book are you using btw?

50 algorithms every programmer should know.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1803247762?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Just checked the early pages and it recommends the same tools @SpaceGazelle does.
  • You're in for a treat when you do some deep learning stuff, it still feels like magic. Does the book recommend Keras? It makes building neural nets so easy.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    SIMA AI by Google: Google DeepMind trained its video game playing AI agent on games like Valheim, No Man’s Sky, and Goat Simulator.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/13/24099024/google-deepmind-ai-agent-sima-video-games

This could be a major one for a couple reasons that I can immediately think of. If they release a model users can train then bye-bye having to grind loot box games, just get the AI to do it for you while you're at work, we can see the back of that business model.

The second thought that springs to mind is once it's learned enough games, you plug this into a code and design AI and nothing to stop it taking the best of other games and building new games from it's understanding.
  • These new AI models are coming thick and fast now and it's a runaway train. A Moore's Law on steroids.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And this one, Devin AI software engineer.

https://www.cognition-labs.com/introducing-devin
  • At least the robotics is bottlenecking things, and they in turn depend on battery tech. Might not be long but at least there'll be a gap.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Watching the Nvidia GTC conference and they have made an exoflop AI machine. 1m teraflops. Christ!
  • I keep expecting Huang to ditch the leather jacket and come out in full Willy Wonker garb.
  • This was a fun watch for the visuals

• b0r1s wrote:
    Watching the Nvidia GTC conference and they have made an exoflop AI machine. 1m teraflops. Christ!

And it fits in a single server rack. Just catching up on this today. The fact they can now just wire GPUs together without increasing latency is quite remarkable, so they can just gear up the teraflops as they please by combining more chips. And because they're way more power efficient there's no need for any extra thermal solutions.

It means companies can keep the same infrastructure and just swap out the old boards in the server racks for Blackwell. You can stick 576 GPUs together with that new switch and this will just go up year on year. Parallel computing going batshit insane.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Compilers must have a long way for leveraging parallel algorithms in parallel architectures. I programmed transputer arrays on my industry year as a student. Was in the MOD at Malvern. I had to worry about the comms between each processor in code. Got to run my route planning code on a 256 processor array. Programmed that in a parallel language called Occam 2. Transputers had 4 comms links each and were accessible in code via send and receive operators. Had to manage code to avoid deadlock. Each transputer could run parallel code on its own so you had options for soft and hard parallel processing with hard and soft comms. Impressive ... and Brit invented and manufactured. 486 architecture killed it commercially though.

There was a different machine that performed parallel operations on all elements in a 2D array but never got to play with that. Had a FORTRAN compiler. They used it to heat the room sometimes! It was supposed to be housed in a harness that provided cooling in a military context....i presumed it was used for image processing in reconnaissance planes. It had real time mandelbrot zooming....for 1989 that's impressive.

Bear in mind I was just a student. There were buildings on site with bars in the windows. God knows what was going on in there.
  • How are you getting on with ML?
  • The data transfer rate of the new Blackwell server racks are just nuts. Each full rack has a bandwidth greater than the entire internet! WTAF?
  • Here's a highlight reel of the most crazy bits.

• That jacket certainly should be changed for something
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    How are you getting on with ML?

On holiday this week. In the sun. So now't. :)

• davyK wrote:
    How are you getting on with ML?
    On holiday this week. In the sun. So now't. :)

Nice, enjoy.

I wonder how long it's going to be before we get the first Zettaflop machine? 5yrs? 2yrs?
  • Nvidia are so far ahead of everyone else I doubt anyone can hope to ever catch up unless China invades Taiwan. Every new Nvidia GTC seems to make that more likely.
  • Im going to spend the afternoon looking at some 3D generators specifically giving them a task that I myself might have to perform.
    I probably wouldn't even make this from scratch I would get a stock model or build someone else's design. Either way though I would need the model to put in a scene.

This will be my prompt, its detailed enough to at least get the form factor. More than this and its gonna become a whole thing.
    A cinema style single seat with arms and cupholders in an Italian style design

I'd want to be getting something like this. This is a real product that exists ands can be bought right now.
    HUGHES-GAL-03.jpg

First up is 3DFY which took about 10 minutes to abort this monstrosity after selecting the sofa category.
    3DFY.jpg
  • Masterpiece X
    About 5 minutes each, I gave this one two chances. I wont be retraining just yet.

Masterpiece-X.jpg

Masterpiecee-X-2.jpg
  • DT Depth involves uploading an image.
    This one seems mostly for getting z depth so probably will have uses outside of what im trying to do today. Displacement maps for textures or if I want depth of field and have forgotten to set the option before a render. Although Im pretty sure such tools existed before the AI revolution.
    For today its a fail.

DT-Depth.jpg
  • WHy...why is the Italian cinema seat with cupholder a motorcycle made out of the tortured bones and screaming viscera of Sam Altman?
  • Well this was quick. One last attempt as the rest appear to be broken or involve all sorts of hoops to be jumped and look shit anyway.

We end with bang with Meshy AI. The first and only to get remotely close.
    First I could select a style, I selected Realistic (also cartoon, low poly as other options. I think these would work out better if thats what you were after).
    It gave me 4 options which was nice and they were very fast.

Meshy-AI.jpg

I then chose one and selected Refine, this took longer.
    The result is better but still completely useless. It doesnt understand cupholder and I dont know how else to prompt cup holders. They are cup holders, there is no better way to describe them, "arm holes for cups" isnt going to get me any further.
    The geometry is a total mess meaning I couldn't even use this as a kicking off point.

Meshy-AI-refined.jpg
  • Funkstain wrote:
    WHy...why is the Italian cinema seat with cupholder a motorcycle made out of the tortured bones and screaming viscera of Sam Altman?

It some how looks like meat and a rug at the same time.
  • Gemini is good because it remembers. So you can keep the same object and iterate to improve it with further prompts.
  • Do you have a link to where I can try it?
  • I think this is where 3D design is heading. It'll still need a gifted designer to get their vision down on paper but they can do it with much less leg work.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!