Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bet it answers quickly though. Good old Groq.
  • This amused me.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chatgpt-giving-users-unhinged-answers-no-one-knows-why-openai-2024-2

There’s something interesting in the idea of ChatGPT having an off day. Ironically, it humanises the unknowable bot. Maybe there’s a creative idea here about deliberately training in a little craziness.
    ChatGPT wrote:
    Would it glad your clicklies to grape-turn-tooth over a mind-ocean jello type?

Chatbots be jazz, yo.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    'twould be amusing if there was fundamental problem with LLMs that caused them to go nuts after reaching some kind of limit.  

Fact is if something does go wrong no-one will be able to explain it. We know how to grow an LLM/neural net but we do not know how it actually makes its decisions.

Risk is - even if this is an event that passes - that it would happen again while embedded into an important application.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • LLMs in themselves aren't the powerful part of AI although they are a powerful way of getting info from the internet. The really powerful stuff is custom models built for a particular dataset but it's not general use in the same way as LLMs are for the public. But yeah there's still the problem of not knowing how they reach a decision. 

It'll be interesting to see how Google's multi-modal approach works for general AI but I suspect for a long time AI models will be data specific. That makes them stupid good at a particular task but there's also the danger of trying to get differing models to work well together on differing but linked datasets to understand a more complex problem. Again it depends on what we allow it to do and that'll be country specific.

The optimist in me hopes they can figure out how models reach a certain decision and that'll help humans understand a problem in a deeper way. A lot might depend tho on human interpretation of the AI and political persuasion. It might be a little too easy to interpret the results using confirmation bias.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've started a deep dive on LLMs/neural nets and the surrounding software that calls them. Have an algorithm book in the post.

This...
    I suspect for a long time AI models will be data specific. That makes them stupid good at a particular task but there's also the danger of trying to get differing models to work well together on differing but linked datasets to understand a more complex problem. Again it depends on what we allow it to do and that'll be country specific. The optimist in me hopes they can figure out how models reach a certain decision and that'll help humans understand a problem in a deeper way. A lot might depend tho on human interpretation of the AI and political persuasion. It might be a little too easy to interpret the results using confirmation bias.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cheers
  • It really is the best book imo, both for learning the concepts and building your own neural nets.
  • And you will need to learn the very basics of Python. There's no getting around it when it comes to AI, but I do mean the very basic stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've been coding for over 40 years since I was 15. I can pick up any language pretty quickly. The book I've ordered off amazon arrived today and it's Python code samples too.   I've found most languages are starting to converge now. You get the occasional syntactical quirk but once you know the package/library names for your import statements it's not too bad really.  The concepts are the same no matter the language unless you get into heavyweight declarative stuff.

My main issue now is picking a nice dev environment. I usually just use a text editor with a CLI compiler but I'm sure there's easier ways. :)   The cloud environments are nice.
  • I'd use Jupyter Notebook for AI stuff. It divides lumps of code into separate cells and lets you peek into data without running an entire script. If you download Anaconda it comes with pretty much everything, including Jupyter, to get you up and running.

https://www.anaconda.com/download
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Will have a look. I've got some environments already - have one for the phone app dev (React language) and I have Visual Studio but I've only been tinkering. Got a pile of React training material in a humblebundle I need to get back to.
  • For regular coding use what you prefer but for AI use Jupyter. You don't want to be running entire scripts when it comes to training models. I don't know anyone that doesn't use it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Okey doke. Cheers.
  • It'll take a bit to get used to but it's worth it. It's open source so you can add it as an extension to things like VSCode if you like. I'd go with the basic vanilla version at first tho.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    React is not a language [/pedant]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Probably old news to most, but I just listed something on fleabay for the first time in years, and they've added an option for AI generated descriptions of your items.

It was very enthusiastic about the stuff I was selling.

Living in the future is fuggin' weird, man.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Stuff like that I can only see as noise we eventually learn to identify and filter out.

Buying the item with an obviously hand written description will become attractive.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, it'll be like small print. People will just gloss over it entirely.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    React is not a language [/pedant]

'tis a fair point.
  • https://amycastor.com/2023/09/12/pivot-to-ai-pay-no-attention-to-the-man-behind-the-curtain/

I do like the Mechanical Turk workers using ChatGPT and other AI tools to process the AI-input tagging/manual-labour tasks :) Canny use-case and could be another route for the "garbage-in-garbage-out" factors leading to AI-training-on-AI-output-inbreeding-self-degradation-spiral.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Stuff like that I can only see as noise we eventually learn to identify and filter out. Buying the item with an obviously hand written description will become attractive.

I used the AI one, but labeled it as such, and then wrote my own. For the lulz.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I don't regard cannibalisation as a long term problem and the idea you need to clean the data is wrong, as long as you have enough data. You might not always have a lot of data. These things are just a result of the current bad practices the current boom is bringing with it as everyone jumps on the train.

Even if you do have data made by AI that was based on another AI (and so on), the patterns in the chain are still there but deeply buried, and if you get enough data the model can figure this out. The unreasonable effectiveness of data is a thing and it's hard to get experienced coders to appreciate this.

The new rule is "Gazillions of garbage in, useful stuff out". 

That's not to say the article is wrong, and there are many badly trained models out there, but it's just a side effect of early tech hype. Datasets never lie and it's finding the complexity in them. I could randomly generate a bunch of numbers on my PC and use that to train a model. If I had enough data a good model could find how the RNG worked even if I was training it on something else because that info is there, buried in seemingly random garbage. Needs a shit-ton of data though.

But at the mo then yes, it can be a problem if you let it and people are letting it.
  • Asked GPT for some info regarding font choice for a project i'm working on, and it advised me to take extra care to ensure my choice was considerate of cultural sensitivities, and also diverse- just like society- so as not to further marginalise any group or leave them feeling excluded. 

First time it's made me laugh.
  • Sounds like it’s got confused around words like accessibility. Which in your case should have meant legibility, but in other contexts will be found alongside words like diversity and inclusion.
  • Papyrus or you hate the Na'vi.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!