The AI generator museum of uncanny amusement
  • They threw the kitchen sink at it to see what would happen and it learnt to talk.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • When you overcorrect for AI's racial bias.
    Google apologizes for ‘missing the mark’ after Gemini generated racially diverse Nazis
    https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/21/24079371/google-ai-gemini-generative-inaccurate-historical
  • All I have on this subject are reckons, but I reckon the rise of LLMs and AI image/video generators is just a trend. Boring stuff really. Yes, they’re building tools that will stay with us in some form or another, but they’re essentially still just dumb tools. There’s potential for them to be massively beneficial, but not epoch-making in their impact. There’s also potential for them to lawyered out of useful existence. So it could go either way. Best case scenario: better tools for us all. Yay.

The ‘deep learning’ stuff, on the other hand, is interesting. That’s the stuff that could accelerate human invention exponentially. Or kill us all. Again, could go either way.

Let me try again. I can make that point clearer.

What’s interesting is when AI can do something we humans can’t. What’s boring is when it just does something we can already do, but in a different way.

So finding new proteins and extrapolating their uses for us: interesting.
    Driving a car: boring.
    Finding a way to do fusion at room temperature: interesting.
    Drawing a picture: boring.
  • Driving a car whilst drawing a picture: interesting.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @poprock It's still the Wild West at the moment, so the lawyering thing will go away, once the big AI companies prove they have the data sets verified and owned. This is already happening. Amazon already offer unlimited IP indemnity for anyone using their Titan image gen.

The LLMs literally deep learning models. You might be thinking of chatbots and image gen etc. but certainly all the modern proprietary LLMs are using deep learning, along with machine learning etc. in their make up. Also, the newer models are also introducing multi-modality which will further improve the outputs, as context from text can be support with images, video and sound, pretty much as we understand stuff.

Yes, LLMs are, or were, relatively "dumb" but the growth is exponential and with that growth comes greater intelligence, and results. If we look at ChatGPT-3 it has about 175 billion parameters and failed at every attempt to pass the bar exam, ChatGPT-4 has 1.7 trillion parameters and passed the bar at around 90%.

Beyond that, the real advantages will come with improved speed of processing (check out the Groq chip) and the possibility of System-2 thinking (self-reflective, rational, complex) being added to the current System-1 thinking (instinctive, quick) that will allow for real AI-assistants. You will be able to actually set an AI a complete task (go and make me a movie about the death of Timdog). It might take time, but you won't have to keep feeding it with new prompts to modify it's output.
  • My optimistic hope is that the web is going to end up so devalued by fake untrustworthy content that a new web is born. Higher quality content, less driven by algorithm and SEO, probably less open to amateurs. Verified humans behind everything.

LLMs will probably just end up as the software behind voice interfaces. Can't see that people are going to want AI-written books. Or care what an AI thinks about the latest Marvel film.

The video generation is more significant. So much time, effort and money goes into things like location shooting, CGI. Once they sort out the copyright issues, that will be everywhere.
    [/reckons]
  • monkey wrote:
    My optimistic hope is that the web is going to end up so devalued by fake untrustworthy content that a new web is born. Higher quality content, less driven by algorithm and SEO, probably less open to amateurs. Verified humans behind everything.

How would this work?
  • The main thing I can see video generation being useful for is stock footage. 

I can see though someone like ILM developing a proprietary model off one of these things that they feed all of Disney's footage into, as they will know for sure there are no issues as they will own all the library it's trained on.
  • monkey wrote:
    My optimistic hope is that the web is going to end up so devalued by fake untrustworthy content that a new web is born. Higher quality content, less driven by algorithm and SEO, probably less open to amateurs. Verified humans behind everything.

How would this work?
    Dunno. Some bio-passport, government-backed scheme. Or the authentication goes to the platform holders e.g. the BBC verify that everything they put out there is genuine. So the new web is spread across mega-sites, way less access for regular plebs. Social networks would be responsible for IDing people on the way in.

There's some sort of digital signage of files that I saw some bloke from MS talking about recently but can't remember anything about it.

....Blockchain?

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Sorted...

yahoo-1995.0.png
  • monkey wrote:
    Dunno. Some bio-passport, government-backed scheme.

I'm sure that would never be abused and send us further into a dystopian nightmare.
  • I don't know if it even has to be a bio-passport. Just a normal one would do.
  • What if we don't need the web? 

*checks the future news*

"Nobody died today and all societal decisions were made by bots. Bots made a significant scientific breakthrough today that no human will ever understand".

We'll still want to communicate with each other so maybe we can all have dumb phones again.
  • I'm very very late to the party, but used chatgpt for the first time this week. We had a few free "training" zoom sessions. First was too basic, but was enough for me to jump on and try it. Second was a glorified show and tell look at me from an ex Microsoft worker and was completely useless. I've already used it enough this week in 3 days to be completely sold on its utility for work.

There's been 3 things already where it saved me hours. For working out how to do fancy stuff with Microsoft suite of stuff, sharepoint, power apps etc, it's been a godsend already. And quite clearly not just googling.

Anyhoo, also clear limitations, but was still good to take the plunge.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep, very good for productivity stuff, just double check any data it comes out with. Unless it's citing a specific source it could be wrong.

This is worth a read if you're new to prompting too: https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/prompt-engineering/six-strategies-for-getting-better-results
  • Thank you. That is cool.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Starting to muck about with co-pilot.  There's a an impressive pile of stuff MS have built around the LLM technology.  Stuck my nose into a chatbot building workshop yesterday.  Interesting stuff.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Even if it cites a specific source, check that the source actually exists! Some lawyers in trouble because they submitted documents written by/with ChatGPT and presumed that the cases referenced are legit, but they were completely fabricated/“hallucinated”.
    The LLMs just output “text that looks about right”, so it knows what academic paper/case law references etc should *look like* but then just makes up stuff to fit the template.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - we are thinking of configuring copilot to watermark anything it writes.  Of course you could be a prick and copy/paste but you are doubling down on being a prick.

We see it as a way of starting a document.

i like the document summary side of things.

In co-pilot you can build an expert bot and then add it to Teams so it can be chatted to in a Teams meeting. I kind of like that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh yeah, definitely check those citations!

We've started integrating co-pilot into some of our solutions. Advanced search, fed by the client's data, some interesting results. 

Also MS have got great beginners to advanced guides on AI... you can choose the type of role you have in a company and it lists the docs that are relevant to you (scroll half way down the page): https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/ai/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I downloaded all the lab documents from the training course so I'll work them at some point.

I fancy building a couple of bots just for the craic - one for helping you procure something in our place would be a good start.  Our procurement rules are a fucking pain in the arse.

There's the API too for coding which might be worth a sniff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm looking into feeding business data into an LLM to help it make forecasting and pitching decisions. There are a number of third-party systems out there, but our IT team would shit a fit if I just signed up to them due to data protection (rightly), but they should be ok with MS, as we use it for everything else.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    When you can limit the LLMs scope of reference to specific documentation it will be very useful. Like most big organisations there are literally mountains of policy paperwork, supplemental notes and amendments to dig through at times at my place. Being able to ask something like copilot about an issue, and have a conversation with it while it trawls through the policy on your behalf would be very powerful and convenient.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    ChatGPT 4 is already good with sizeable PDFs, I just can't upload company docs to it, but if you're downloading stuff off the web, it's good enough to get summaries of a doc without you having to read everything.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I mean plugging it into the work intranet, so it can trawl all the info on there (I'm talking 100s of policy documents of many hundred pages each). Would be great to have it as a little browser plugin where you could just ask a question and it comes back with an answer, with the relevant policy and paragraph reference.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Really not a good idea to paste any documents into chatGPT that are of any importance - they get added to the LLM.

I've been told some private sector companies have had staff paste in IP to the chatGPT prompt - may as well have fucking pasted it into Facebook.

You can use co-pilot like chatGPT and let it roam the web but if you log into it using your MS365 credentials your session is cleared down when you log out and is not added to any LLM.

Getting it to trawl an internal resource is probably the best way to get value out of it initially. That's what we will be doing. One example we are looking at is using our website + the call centre's knowledge base to build a chat resource - initially for the staff , but maybe at some point to stick it onto the website.

Not sure how things like changing operational hours etc work though - might be best to get the bot to signpost to dynamic information instead of absorbing it into its "knowledge".
  • Gemini 1.5 is handy for the Google ecosystem, especially Gmail. It gives accurate summaries of the important emails and does well at ignoring all the spammy ones.
  • I use gpt and copilot all the time. like my whole work day is one long conversation with it. Ive been doing workshops with the students every couple of months on making the most of it and integrating it into their workflow in a constructive way, because most of them don't. It's an amazing time saving tool, allowing you to conserve your finite supply of mental exertion and high level concentration, but you do still have to invest a lot of time, care and consideration in your dialog with it; don't ask nor expect it to carve out a bigger shortcuts than it can reliably manage, break down any and every request into its smallest constituent parts, be explicit about every detail, make no assumptions and don't allow it to make any either. Too many students see using it as an alrternative to work and effort, which it isn't at all. Rather, it's just a different sort of work.
  • These are fun. It’s a bloke playing around with AI imagery to make Lego versions of movie posters. The idea is to see how much the image generator ‘understands’ each movie. Does it nail the tone? Pick up on the important characters/places/objects?

https://imgur.com/gallery/90q6uX6

Well worth clicking ‘more’ and scrolling further.
  • Chat with Hassabis about the future of AI.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!