Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    What was I saying?
  • You were commenting on Tears in the Rain.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I imagine considerably sooner than said games being any good.
    I disagree. AI is good at finding patterns in complexity and can tease out all kinds of crazy stuff that are hidden to us, including human behaviour. If atoms can do it, AI can do it. There really are few constraints and it'll happen way faster than you think. If beauty is found in complexity, AI is gonna produce some stunning stuff.

Stunning, sure, but engaging? I can't see it. There're too many intangibly complex and subjective factors that go into making a game enjoyable.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    What the fuck is all this nonsense. Why would people suddenly stop being educated, or educating themselves?
    This is interesting as well. I hadn't really thought about it. Getting a good job at the end (or not being poor) is the goal that pushes a lot of people through uni. Education being it's own reward is probably a distant second place at best.

And when education becomes more reliant on AI for completing work, it gets even more hollowed out.
  • The games industry is sustained by new ideas, and the moment there's none on the horizon the whole thing starts slowly stagnating to death. For all the impressive tricks AI can pull, it's still just ever more impressive degrees of aggregation, and i'm not convinced that path ever leads to compound innovation. Sure,i can see AI assisting us in delivering new, original ideas, making use of advances i tech etc etc, but i can't imagine any timeline where it does this without a guiding hand.
  • I've been thinking about what I'm going to do for money. I'm a piss-tier programmer that got into it because it was well paid. I don't have the skills to survive the cull over, I'd say, the next five years.

We can't all retrain as plumbers.
  • The games industry is sustained by new ideas, and the moment there's none on the horizon the whole thing starts slowly stagnating to death. For all the impressive tricks AI can pull, it's still just ever more impressive degrees of aggregation, and i'm not convinced that path ever leads to compound innovation. Sure,i can see AI assisting us in delivering new, original ideas, making use of advances i tech etc etc, but i can't imagine any timeline where it does this without a guiding hand.
    Yeah but it might literally be one guiding hand.
  • I imagine considerably sooner than said games being any good.
    I disagree. AI is good at finding patterns in complexity and can tease out all kinds of crazy stuff that are hidden to us, including human behaviour. If atoms can do it, AI can do it. There really are few constraints and it'll happen way faster than you think. If beauty is found in complexity, AI is gonna produce some stunning stuff.
    Stunning, sure, but engaging? I can't see it. There're too many intangibly complex and subjective factors that go into making a game enjoyable.

We'll find out soon. There will be a series of Turin tests - for games, novels etc, and I'm guessing nobody will be more shocked than the experts in that particular field. In a blind test, could a bot novel ever fool a panel of Booker Prize judges? How far will emergent behaviour in AI go in the next 5yrs? We're going to find out.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • God was that really just a year ago?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's far too early to say what the impact of AI will be. Fact is AI has been around for a very long time. Alan Turing was interested in a colleague's attempts at making the 1940s computer play Draughts. The current craze is a result of chatGPT - but its technology was developed to create Google Translate - it's been around for a while.

The ability for AI and robotics (and I don't mean physical robots - I mean automation where software uses software on behalf of a human operator) to replace jobs has been around for quite a while. Implementing it to be actually productive day to day is an entirely different achievement.

Large scale computing and storage has unlocked AI's potential. When it comes to the arts I'm not sure it will ever create anything not derivative and/or worthwhile as long as it remains goal focussed. Human creative endeavours aren't goal focussed - work may start off in a direction and then it may be parked for years or branch off into something totally disconnected from the original idea - often as a result of interacting with the real world.

I can see it helping someone with a good idea for a cartoon for example and not the talent to create it and that can be a good thing I suppose.

Sure it will be able to churn out some code which meets a need for a variant on something that's been done before - but software has been heading that way anyhow with the abundance of API and service based architectures. I've long felt coders will work themselves out of a job. No need for AI for that.

Anyone who has been involved in the creation of an ICT solution will have experienced how hard it is to get proper requirements done. I'll be impressed when AI can help with that.

The real drivers will be economic and anthropological forces as to how it's used. There are jobs that are a natural fit, but it involves creating huge reliance on one or two tech companies who hold the reigns on the CPU and storage horsepower. And total reliance on connectivity. Two factors out of control of the corporations that can use this technology. That needs sorting out for starters.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah but deep learning hasn't been around long at all. It was modern GPUs that enabled it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What does that even mean? Deep learning?  Is that the scale of the neural net that is grown? 

Is this wrt to the image creation? Interesting to hear it's in GPUs.

AI techniques are being used in software compilation too - have been for some time I'd guess.
  • Deep learning is the matrices. They're deep because they have layers. It's eye-wateringly expensive to differentiate over such a complicated thing because all the nodes are connected. Modern GPUs happen to be brilliant at this because they use matrices for 3D rendering. They're so useful that Nvidia can sell these latest AI boards for $30K when they only cost a couple of thousand to manufacture.
  • There's a good illustration of modern computing techniques here. These GPUs can beat incredibly expensive traditional computer architecture.

• LivDiv wrote:
    Like Shrek

Holy shit it makes sense now.
  • Hardware acceleration always beats software solutions eh?
    Especially when the AI learns over time.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah. It's still a bunch of transistors but it's how you arrange them.
  • And once the model is trained you can just download it to your phone instead of carrying a billion dollars worth of supercomputer around with you.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Or your car.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Or chip in brain. That's a scary thought and I wish Musk would fuck off and concentrate on rockets like a sensible human being.
  • I'm going to the monastery long before I'm putting a chip in any part of my body.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Fryer Tuck.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ah - fair enough.

It's an interesting idea that. I remember "doing" matrices in school and while I could multiplying them create the inverse or determinent? (can't remember) it was just shuffling numbers to me.

It's amazing how many real life applications they have.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Or chip in brain. That's a scary thought and I wish Musk would fuck off and concentrate on rockets like a sensible human being.

This.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This is why now things are getting much better/worse and continuing to accelerate.

IMG-9088.jpg

Taken from this great primer on LLMs

https://youtu.be/zjkBMFhNj_g?si=Iyo-LxncYfuFKOj_

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!