Collections
  • Not current collecting, as I've bought maybe three since 2014, but I have a huge dvd collection. Plenty bigger than some of the ones that used to to in the 'show us your collection!' bits at the back of noughties film mags. The left side of the front layer has faded from sunlight but it's still a collection I'm 'proud of' (despite the fact that I'd have a lot more in the way of savings if I hadn't obsessively spunked £70-£120 on them every payday for years - importing boxsets was particularly pricey!).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a fair old pile of DVDs too. It was getting out of control too. They are worthless now so no way I will flog - but neither will I get rid. I still like owning certain films physically which frees me from the whims of stream service providers and broadband tidal forces. And I've never been a fan of dirty downloads so it remains my only option.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    One day, I’d like to live in a place with a spare bedroom. I’d turn it into a library. CDs, DVDs, BluRays, vinyl, books, games, floor to ceiling, all the way around. Maybe an eames-esque chair for reading.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    One day, I’d like to live in a place with a spare bedroom. I’d turn it into a library. CDs, DVDs, BluRays, vinyl, books, games, floor to ceiling, all the way around. Maybe an eames-esque chair for reading.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Most of my CDs are boxed up at the minute. I'm at a bit of a crossroads. My CD player is becoming flakey - it's close on 25 years old - and I am considering replacing it or buying a rip/store/play device instead. We are looking at shelving solutions for keeping the CDs. Wifey doesn't want to get rid of them. I'll keep the CDs but won't have to shelve them if I go for a modern device.  I have a traditional amplifier (quite old), turntable (same) and a DAB/FM/Internet radio hooked up (which also gives me bluetooth connectivity for other devices for streaming). Would like to upgrade my old Mission speakers (again > 25 years old) for something new - possibly wireless.

I want to keep this setup so I will likely just get a normal player and get the shelving in for the vinyl and CDs.  I don't buy many CDs now - I tend to stream most of my music but I do like to buy the odd one and I buy vinyl when it's a real favourite. Eyeing up Bat Out of Hell at the minute.
  • davyK wrote:
    ...which frees me from the whims of stream service providers and broadband tidal forces...

We moved into what (we hope) will be our final house move before Christmas and it's certainly crossed my mind that it'd be a good time to pick up the favourite/'must have' films and music as we're not going to have to worry about packing them all up and moving them anywhere for a good while yet.

Plus there's probably never been a better time to swoop for Blu-Rays and CDs as everyone's getting rid of them for space...just looking at some of the bundles on eBay is quite sad when you think what the RRP was originally, and you can pick up individual discs for not much more than a pound...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye....DVDs in CEX are a £1 each.
  • 4 for £1 in plenty of charity shops.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Selling 'em by the kilo next.
  • A kilo would probably cost £2.20
  • I collect copies of the film Gladiator (dvd/blue ray et al) 

I also collect graffiti, i've probably the largest private collection of graffiti in the UK
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • How do you go about collecting graffiti? Like practice pieces people have done on paper?
  • He's got the largest private collection of walls in the UK.
  • monkey wrote:
    He's got the largest private collection of walls in the UK.
    Sounds like a solid investment
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kart's loft full of mouldering black books, just waiting for a free weekend with the scanner and Instagram.

I sort of thought most graf writers keep those sacredly on their person though, so maybe not.
  • Canvasses and sketches
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • You should start collecting railway bridges too.  They have graffiti.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I collect copies of the film Gladiator (dvd/blue ray et al)  I also collect graffiti, i've probably the largest private collection of graffiti in the UK

Heh. I appear to have an Apocalypse Now collection. Several DVDs, BluRay and the making of doc on DVD.
  • davyK wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    I collect copies of the film Gladiator (dvd/blue ray et al)  I also collect graffiti, i've probably the largest private collection of graffiti in the UK
    Heh. I appear to have an Apocalypse Now collection. Several DVDs, BluRay and the making of doc on DVD.

we have 48 copies of Gladiator (probably more)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    we have 48 copies of Gladiator (probably more)

eh?     :0
  • Why?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pictures please!
  • We have a pretty big dvd cabinet. It was originally full of individual dvd's. People would come over and every now and again we would want to watch a film and guests would go over to see the dvd cabinet. The problem is they would almost always pick a film which was inferior to the best film ever which is Gladiator. Clearly the problem here is choice and enabling other people to make the wrong choices. So I thought we could present the illusion of choice but actually end up with the right choice always been selected (Gladiator). So every now and again i'll stumble across some copies (Charity Shops etc) and pick up a few more copies. I'll get home and then swap out whatever lesser, inferior film, inside the dvd cabinet with the new copy of Gladiator. It's taken about 8 years to get to around 50 but it's probably a 1 in 2 chance now someone will pick Gladiator. I'm hoping to improve those odds as time goes by. The best part of it is that more often than not when someone does make the right choice, we put it on via sky instead of using the physical copy.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    This is insane, but also genius.
  • Thread has delivered after all.
  • Like that bloke with hundreds of copies of Speed on VHS.
  • I see that you want your guests to be entertained.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Lol
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    We should help MK assemble the largest private collection of Gladiator dvds in the UK WORLD.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!