Collections
  • One day it'll be the biggest.

6efH9i.gif
  • What happens if you go before the first whistle?
  • I imagine I wouldn't make it to the first whistle with Jet.
  • I gave up collecting many years ago. I'm generally not a fan of clutter anymore and quite enjoy nice empty rooms (family photos and ornaments are fine) 

I used to have a sizable PS2 collection (which became a big Xbox collection) along with DVDs and a big stack of Edge Magazines. I couldnt be bothered now, and honestly I feel I wasted a huge amount of Money on Detritus. Yeah, I like to look at classic movies from time to time but honestly if I never got to see Jaws or Terminator 2 or Robobcop or any of the numerous other collectors editions I have. Even leaving streaming options aside, I dont have the time. Theres always new things to do and see. 

Not knocking anyone who does enjoy collecting but for me, its a hobby I am much happier without.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Can we go back to the "largest private collection of graffiti in the UK"?  Because I don't quite understand what exactly this comprises. Whose sketches and whatnot? Do the vandals make little templates on paper to follow when they head out with their paints?
  • I have a small collection of outstanding nerds. This started a few years ago when I got a massive one in a packet and decided it was too glorious to eat. Now whenever I get a new contender for king nerd I have him weighed up and put in a paper envelope with his stats written on the side. My prize nerd to date weighs almost a gram. I also have about dozen or so little ones with unusual colouring.

My collection never would have grown to a size of more than 1 were it not for my girlfriend's disparaging remarks about it, which just hardened my resolve to make this into a thing that I do.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Thread has delivered after all.
  • I have a small collection of outstanding nerds.

I thought you meant here for a moment.
  • I have a small collection of outstanding nerds.
    I thought you meant here for a moment.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Are we inlcuding things that have collected or only things we are purposefully collecting?

A huge stash of letters and leaflets has collected itself on my desk.  I think some go back 3 or 4 years.
  • My girlfriend has amassed a collection of Sandras Bullock memorabilia which, in her defense, she has acquired non-consensually. Actually she hates Sandra Bullock, but I get a weird kick out of buying this tat whenever I can and hiding it amongst her possessions, or waiting for the right moment to reveal its existence to her, and then outright refusing to acknowledge that it had anything to do with me. The last thing I got her was a Sandra Bullock shaped magic tree to hang in her car. this was actually bought months ago, but again, waiting for the right moment
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    I feel like we’re edging ever closer to a cum box moment.

Hahaha
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I gave up collecting many years ago. I'm generally not a fan of clutter anymore and quite enjoy nice empty rooms (family photos and ornaments are fine)  I used to have a sizable PS2 collection (which became a big Xbox collection) along with DVDs and a big stack of Edge Magazines. I couldnt be bothered now, and honestly I feel I wasted a huge amount of Money on Detritus. Yeah, I like to look at classic movies from time to time but honestly if I never got to see Jaws or Terminator 2 or Robobcop or any of the numerous other collectors editions I have. Even leaving streaming options aside, I dont have the time. Theres always new things to do and see.  Not knocking anyone who does enjoy collecting but for me, its a hobby I am much happier without.

I have great deal of sympathy for this point of view. I've had clearouts in the past. Books, magazines and games mainly, in the main with no regrets.

I sold well over 300 games about 6 years ago as my collection (or hoard) had become unmanageable and didn't reflect my tastes - I had stuff I was never going to play. Out of that clearout I can only think of two games I would liked to have held onto - Dropzone and Boulderdash for NES. But I wouldn't have the means to play them now.

I consider a collection an expression of my tastes now which is why I am far more selective.  A collection can become oppressive but I don't think it's a collection at that point. It's hoarding.

I have a collection of BluRays that are heading that way - I need to keep an eye on that. I'm happy collecting Criterions but I have a slowly growing pile of others.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Can we go back to the "largest private collection of graffiti in the UK"?  Because I don't quite understand what exactly this comprises. Whose sketches and whatnot? Do the vandals make little templates on paper to follow when they head out with their paints?

i just sent you a pm
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • one for the collection
  • This thread really has delivered. I’m hooked now.
  • davyK wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I gave up collecting many years ago. I'm generally not a fan of clutter anymore and quite enjoy nice empty rooms (family photos and ornaments are fine)  I used to have a sizable PS2 collection (which became a big Xbox collection) along with DVDs and a big stack of Edge Magazines. I couldnt be bothered now, and honestly I feel I wasted a huge amount of Money on Detritus. Yeah, I like to look at classic movies from time to time but honestly if I never got to see Jaws or Terminator 2 or Robobcop or any of the numerous other collectors editions I have. Even leaving streaming options aside, I dont have the time. Theres always new things to do and see.  Not knocking anyone who does enjoy collecting but for me, its a hobby I am much happier without.

I have great deal of sympathy for this point of view. I've had clearouts in the past. Books, magazines and games mainly, in the main with no regrets.

I sold well over 300 games about 6 years ago as my collection (or hoard) had become unmanageable and didn't reflect my tastes - I had stuff I was never going to play. Out of that clearout I can only think of two games I would liked to have held onto - Dropzone and Boulderdash for NES. But I wouldn't have the means to play them now.

I consider a collection an expression of my tastes now which is why I am far more selective.  A collection can become oppressive but I don't think it's a collection at that point. It's hoarding.

I have a collection of BluRays that are heading that way - I need to keep an eye on that. I'm happy collecting Criterions but I have a slowly growing pile of others.

Yeah, this is my current state of affairs. Big cleanout of never to be played again games that I enjoyed then. But I don't have a PS2 or Dreamcast or room for all the systems I've enjoyed.

Nice memories, but more important to have room everyone else in the house.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • 80166-ABB-A064-4-A7-D-BCA2-B44-DBC6-D1699.jpg
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I take it you're a gladiator fan :)
    SFV - reddave360
  • MK sent me some photos and now I understand a little better.  He collects stuff made on canvas or whatever by people who also paint buildings, thus removing the need to demolish said buildings in order to own the graffiti.  Think that's right.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    MK sent me some photos and now I understand a little better.  He collects stuff made on canvas or whatever by people who also paint buildings, thus removing the need to demolish said buildings in order to own the graffiti.  Think that's right.

Ah, so he owns some art, not graffiti by vandals?
  • I've never rated Gladiator tbh, but it'd be a dull world if we all liked the same things.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • So, you were not entertained?
  • That framed photo should really be of Maximus himself.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I've never rated Gladiator tbh

nah-jake-gyllenhaal-gif-10833955.gif

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!