Final Fantasy XVI - an all-action RPG - June 22nd - PS5
  • I ignore most enemies a fair bit of the time and have been a high level for the areas. Most of them you just spam the square button as well.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I know but... I like xp and levelling up!

FF16 says fuck you Matty!

The game offers 3 things:
    1. Political talky talk, stabbing and shagging
    2. Fights against what is basically god people
    3. Delivery quests

Take it and be grateful.
  • Sir, thank you Sir.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • So for those who have finished this, how long do I have left?

Spoiler:

As though I have enjoyed it somewhat, it has a number of issues so I hope it’s coming to a close.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well your further than me, I've just
    Spoiler:
    and pretty blates still have a long way to go.

I am still basically enjoying it, but it's maybe lost a little if its early charm. Need to sort to kick on a bit really.
  • Combat has just gotten so much better with my latest abilities. Fuck yeah.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Finished this last night, and overall really enjoyed it. I think I did basically every sidequests (apart from a handful before going to Oriflamme) and did every Hunt on the board.

My extremely non-controversial take is that the game is quite good, actually. It has the finger prints of so many previous FF games all over it that I am sort of surprised by some of the online chatter i’ve seen elsewhere as people say it’s not FF enough, or that it gives on trying to be a GoT-alike too fast. Just like all of the previous games it’s got its unique setup that dovetails into the usually calamity at the heart of every good megalomaniac villain’s plan.

Combat is an absolute charm against the right enemies with just so much customisation available on the latter end of the game that it ends up become a sort of mini game trying to get stagger as high as you can. Without unlocking full freedom to really go wild, I managed a tasty 87,000 in one stagger sequence. Now that’s video gaming.

The side quests were largely a much of a muchness until the second half of the game where they were useful for continuing to flesh out the world while the stakes raise. I felt they were helpful for providing context for what is in site of Valisthea after the curtains fall, as the game trusts you to envision what the world will be like after the finale.

In terms of sheer spectacle, I don’t think anything has come this close to the exuberance and sheer gleefulness of the set piece boss fights in XVI since… gosh… Wonderful 101 maybe? It’s full, truly unhinged shounen anime nonsense. Mortals against gods, Quick Time Events that make you want to punch the air, bosses who have attack names like “Extinction” and “Supernova” and ask you to break their build up gauges before they give you a spectacularly gaudy attack that shoved you into a game over screen.

Fancy parrying an attack that could level a continent, or dodging a beam of energy that could cut a planet in two? FFXVI is your game. It offered all the scale and bombast I would have hoped for from the end of GoW Ragnarok, but delivers it on a fairly regular basis from quite early on. It’s like playing the best cutscenes from Final Fantasy games of the past, all done up in shiny PS5 graphics and a soundtrack that never settles and keeps on chucking out winners.

Extremely glad we can still get these kind of showstopper games that pull out all the stops to make boss fights true spectacles. Very glad that XV didn’t end up being the last word in modern FF games, and that XVI was given the time it needed to cook.

For all its niggling flaws, it was nice to have a game that made me feel as excited at its peak moments as the best Platinum, DMC, and FF games have in the past.
  • I’m not feeling the story and side quests side of stuff, but yes, the combat is good. I just got another ability (the one you mentioned on Twitter) and it’s brilliant, really want to jump back in and do more marks.
  • Cinty is this good? I am balls deep in Zelda right now, and want this next, but I trust your opinion.

It's next on my list.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I feel less exuberant. Combat has been feeling samey, dragon's breath pretty underwhelming as a location, voice acting hammier, no recent plot excitement, two repeated mini bosses already. Enjoy the FF opera of it but it's running a bit flatter in the mid section. Even the textures seen to have dropped a little.

Hopefully just a blip though. A bit more variety in enemy / strategy needed against them, and an upturn in the plot, and I'll probably be happy again.

CBA with the side quests though, they've all been shit so far, in content and reward. And the little bits of urgent main plot and no comment from protags as you go and do other stuff feels less well handled than in gow, the world discovery a step below souls - I guess a bit unfair to judge it against those peaks but definitely [8] vibes at most imo.
  • The Plus side quests are different? Give better rewards and more story / character focussed?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    The Plus side quests are different? Give better rewards and more story / character focussed?

They always give you an upgrade
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I think I've only seen one of those... And yeah, reward was nice, though its animation is pretty lolsome
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah maybe the
    Spoiler:
    will make it more worthwhile?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've only done the first mark too, tbf. But worrying that I'm not feeling motivated to do more though.
  • I too finished this last night and don’t really know what to think. I liked the combat but there wasn’t a single time I felt in danger and never saw the game over screen. Did a few side quests until I realised they were all entirely hollow and rewarded you with very little, but maybe I didn’t do the right ones. I quite liked the story until it just got far too much. Stunning in places but so very ugly in others. I actually fell asleep after the final, final…final battle as I was that tired of the same shite over and over again. The boss fights would have been good if they’d have been half as long, but they just go on and on and on, it’s a wonder I finished it.

Even with all this I quite enjoyed it, but Christ it was full of crap.

And FF is still such a nonces dream in terms of character design.
  • Vela wrote:
    Cinty is this good? I am balls deep in Zelda right now, and want this next, but I trust your opinion.

It's next on my list.

Basically this:
    Tempy wrote:
    My extremely non-controversial take is that the game is quite good, actually.

For all its niggling flaws, it was nice to have a game that made me feel as excited at its peak moments as the best Platinum, DMC, and FF games have in the past.

It’s flawed but the highs are incredible.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh, finally a thing which means I can't just whack the attack button (press square to win).  Only taken about 15h to get there.  Still, not exactly demanding of strategy - the challenge is basically "how quickly can you get this war of attrition to end", which isn't a hugely strong motivator.  Glad they're starting to mix it up at least a little though!
    Plus
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Wouldn't just mashing square just take ages and be boring as fuck?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well yes.  I wasn't actually doing that.  But it's still a bit wanky feeling I could, and that the other things I'm doing are just saving myself a bit of time vs. that, rather than actually being a requirement to progress the game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Basically I like games that demand a bit of skill, whereas this basically doesn't.  And I think that is a contrast to the FF norm, where you had to think a bit strategically about front line vs. back line, attacking vs. healing, etc.  There's none of that finesse.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Gonna controversially suggest that Final Fantasy has tended towards mindlessness outside of boss encounters etc. throughout its history.

That said, the generic enemies with stagger bars do take a disproportionately long time to kill.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yeah I think the majority of encounters in 7-10 you could just use the attack command and win.
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    That said, the generic enemies with stagger bars do take a disproportionately long time to kill.

I pretty much ignore those unless I have to fight them. The time isn't worth the rewards from the fight.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I guess that's true about most routine field enemies - less so against marks and bosses though, I think?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Like even the finite heals puts a different spin on things. No more bosses that have moves that take you to 1HP or anything like that.
  • Please tell me you use the abilities that do lots of stun damage to stun enemies first? Cos it does really help and decimates their stun bar. Halfway, pull them down, attack like a motherfucker. Fully stunned, go even more HAM on them with all abilities.

It’s bosses that take quite long but can be so fun to perfect dodge and parry.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I do streamline it ofc, and stun as much as poss, just pondering design differences against earlier games & pondering why I found their combat more engaging
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Drove past this earlier. Nice to know that the FF team are using Hemel roundabout due their location names.

https://www.alamy.com/the-phoenix-gateway-sculpture-on-the-roundabout-at-the-junction-of-the-a414-and-green-lane-hemel-hempstead-hertfordshire-image214106958.html
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I must have been sniffing glue at some point, because this last cutscene has me stumped.

Spoiler for those that have finished, can't really get more specific than that unfortunately.
    Spoiler:

It's starting to become a bit of a mess, this
  • You’ve still got so much to go too…

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!