The Alternate 100 Greatest Games of the Last 30 Years (games released after 1 Oct 1993 only)
  • In no particular order these are the first that pop into my noggin:

Streets of Rage 4 - once the add on is applied this is as close to a 10 as this genre is likely to get.
    Capcom vs Snk 2 - Its probably too soon to add SF6 so I feel this deserves a place. 
    WWF Smackdown - Here comes the Pain - its a close call between no mercy and this as to which is the best wrestling game. I think this just takes it. 
    PES 6 - The last Footie game I played to any great degree. Absolutely huge depth of play and the controls felt like they worked with you where as I feel FIFA works against you (granted this is more down to me than modern FIFA)
    Geomertry Wars 2: Retro Evolved - so many lost hours to this game. Beautiful to watch, score attack perfection
    Pac Man DX - Not 100% which version is the best but this is similar to Geometry Wars - visually lovely, and the one more go is strong.
    Sega Rally (saturn version) - I cant really speak to the arcade version but the Saturn version was my most played game when I had one. 
    Sensible Soccer - Also known as the reason I kept my Amiga for so long. One button does so much.
    Asteroids (PC) - Like Sega Rally, I didnt get much game time on the arcade version but I had this on a pc and it was super addictive. 
    Titanfall 2 - I genuinely cant believe this didnt make the list. The best FPS game I've played. 
    Super Mario World - Not sure if the 3D versions really have topped this. I've never fully completed it but its so ahead of its time and still looks lovely.
    Wii Sports - Maybe not for the pure video gamers but this got everyone playing. We have the Switch update and the simple concepts still work for inclusive gaming.
    Guitar Hero 3 - I prefer the more overt rock soundtrack and styling for 3. Its a bit more generous than 2 so would be the preferred option - but either is tops.
    Batman Arkham City - I'm guessing I cant have Asylum as well and I think City is the better of the two. 
    Darksiders - Zelda if done by emo rock metal? Pure definition of an 8 scoring game that I love
    Psi Ops - Mindgate Conspiracy. Similar to Darksiders, this was an absolute blast to play. This era of PS2 and Xbox had loads of inventive games like this, Psi Ops was one of the better ones
    Prince of Persia - Yes, the original. I loved it. The control and gameplay were pure.
    Prince of Persia Sands of time - And I loved this too. The rewind mechanic was a great touch.
    Forza Horizon 4 - Speaking of, Forza H 4 kinda blew my mind in its scale and how well it all hung together. 5 felt like a reskin which is probably a bit unfair.
    Burnout 2 - Arcade perfection. Getting a string of boost chains could literally sear your eyeballs.
    SSX Tricky - An early PS2 game that gave me a huge amount of fun. Seemed to be a fluke as further games did not hit.
    Tony Hawk 3 - I was a late arrival to these games, this was a big time sink as the one more go factor was strong
    Devil May Cry - I'm sure that maybe 3 or 4 are probably the better games but I really loved the first one. When you were near fully tooled up, you felt you could take on anything.
    Spec Ops: The Line - Super atmospheric shooter with well done twist.
    Into the Breach - That bit where the pilots transport out at the end before the bomb goes off is quite poignant considering how simple its done. 
    Call of Duty 2 - I know COD4:MW is listed and it is the better game but COD2 was a big seller of the 360 for me.
    Gears of War - I still find the first game really enjoyable to play in single player mode. The shorter length is a big help. Recent games have been good but I find the first is the one I go back to.
    Unravel Two - played through with my daughter, one hell of a beautiful game. Not sure who it was but thanks to the Badger who recommended it as a co-op game.
    IK+ - Not sure if this would stand up today but it got big playtime on my amiga. Frantic playtimes in fact.
    Gradius V - Not sure if I should chuck this in as I never actually finished it but I did put a lot of time in and loved it. A pity it hasnt every received an re-release.

I'm leaving a lot on the table but thats 30 to get things rolling
    SFV - reddave360
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Mariokart 64 feels a bit revisionist. I'm sure they gave it something like a 7 at the time.
    Snes Mario kart is what i missed off my list but meant to include

That was before Edge, no?

Whoops i didn't notice that was part of the scope. I've put a couple other games from before then in my list too
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mario World wouldn't be on the list as it was 1990

Hell ya to Titanfall 2 tho
  • So is 1994 the first year you can use?
  • Well now I have to start all over again...
    SFV - reddave360
  • Which was supposed to be a Gunstar Heroes/Eternal Champions double reference, but apparently one was Sept '93 and one was Jan '94. Fail.
  • Some obvious ones for me.

Rogue Legacy
    Trials Evolution
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Soulcalibur 2
    Garou: Mark of the Wolves
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Tekken 3
    F-Zero GX
    Gran Turismo
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
    Metroid Zero Mission
    MegaMan ZX
    Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64
    Streets of Rage 4
    Sonic Mania Plus
    Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Ridge Racer
    Sega Rally
    Gradius V
    Sub-Terrania
    Wipeout 2097
    Virtua Cop
    Time Crisis 2
    Rayman Origins
    Guardian Heroes
    Grand Theft Auto
    Doom (2016)
    Sim City 2000
    Transport Tycoon
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Donkey Kong (1994)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are both late enough to qualify.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Neither of which are as good as Sonic Mania Plus which I've added to my list.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are both late enough to qualify.

Yes, yes they are ere.
  • Sonic lol
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Few more added to my list.
  • Damn that's a good Edge list.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Ooh I should add Terranigma to my list, how could I forget that?!  A personal favourite.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Distinct lack of Peggle in any lists its the most perfect game since Tetris
  • Is that the floaty in caves shooter for the Mega Drive?

EDIT: Terranigma, not Peggle.
  • So, which WipEout should it be? General mood is often pro 2097, but i'll admit I prefer 3:SE or Pure.
  • Is that the floaty in caves shooter for the Mega Drive?

Sub-Terrania, A BANGER.
  • So, which WipEout should it be? General mood is often pro 2097, but i'll admit I prefer 3:SE or Pure.

2097 for me.  But I also loved Pure.  That would be second.
  • Is that the floaty in caves shooter for the Mega Drive? EDIT: Terranigma, not Peggle.

An action RPG by Quintet, published by Enix.  Part of the non-connected 'Creation Trilogy' or something, with Soul Blader/Blazer and Illusion of Gaia/Time being the previous two.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is that the floaty in caves shooter for the Mega Drive?

Sub-Terrania, A BANGER.

It's on the list.
  • Astrobot Rescue Mission
    Returnal

I’ll be back with more.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Tunic.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Just realised into the breach is in the edge list, so thats another to knock off my own ... but am I correct that there's no smash bros in the edge list?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Psi Ops is a good shout.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Dead Cells is my only absolute definite.
  • The biggest omissions are Super Meat Boy, Celeste, Returnal, a recent DOOM, Peggle 2, Hotline Miami, Trails Evo, Rocket League and Astrobot: Rescue Mission imo. It's not a universally loved genre these days but SOR4 should really be in there.

I did a big list of more but deleted it because I was squeezing too many indies-wot-I-really-like in (Shovel Knight, Lonely Mountains Downhill). Agree that a Worms, a Micro Machines and a Hawks should be in contention. Also a Pro Evo probably, the goodtimes were the best.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!