Just given up on...
  • JonB has hit the nail on the head. I managed to finish it last night and whilst the game had a lot of very good ideas, the basic mechanics felt incomplete. The wholebgame needed more time for fine tuning of control, puzzles and the story.
    It could have been excellent.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Indeed.

The other thing it's made me realise is how pleased Sony must be that their Indie drive lines up so nicely with their need to give away two free games each month...
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message
    Killzone: Shadow Fall

I've only got to the second chapter and it's already impossibly hard and not in a good way either. I'm playing on medium level but this feels as hard as legendary on halo only without the fun. The enemies always seem to spot you know matter how stealthily you play, and once they do there are endless respawning enemies and annoying perma-scary music.

A major shame as it looks beautiful and I have little else to play on PS4 at the moment.
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • The enemies don't endlessly respawn if you use the owl to disable the alarms. I was finding it surprisingly tough until that, amongst other things, clicked.
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    The enemies don't endlessly respawn if you use the owl to disable the alarms. I was finding it surprisingly tough until that, amongst other things, clicked.

That's true, you can disable the alarms. Although I have found it hard to find the alarms, and it seems only seconds before I'm spotted and the alarm goes off again :-(
  • The alarms won't go off again unless you let one of the Helghast reset it.
  • RE Contrast:  Yeah, it's proper shit.
  • Gravity Rush - That boss fight against Raven ... ugh ... I just cannot keep track of what the hell is going on and, since it's an early boss fight, there are bound to be worse ones ahead. So sod it.
  • Gravity kick Raven when she stops moving and spam her with your special attack - if you have one at that point, been a while since I played GR.

The bosses aren't too hard iirc, they really just boil down to using spiral claw/typhoon thing on a weak point and then dodging/using Gravity kick till you can use your special again.
  • I did manage to defeat her eventually so that, should I decide to go back to it, I won't have that hurdle to get over first. I don't know why I struggled with it so much and I don't tend to get frustrated with games even if they are kicking my bott, but I did have a finger hovering over 'Delete' for just a moment before common sense took hold.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    So you are human.
  • Pot / Kettle etc
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    <computational analysis...>

Hardy-har!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    EDGE (Wii U). The game, not the magazine. It's a neat idea, basically Marble Madness but with a cube that you roll around the level rather than a sphere. The minimalist graphics and trippy sound track make it almost perfect zen gaming; you end up playing for ages because you just zone out and don't notice time passing.

But the controls are awful. There's a mechanic in the game where if you balance your cube on its edge, you get the amount of time you spend balanced off your total time at the end. But it's near impossible to pull off. I think I only ever did it by accident, and each time I would get 0.86 seconds because that's what you get if you pull it off by accident. It's near impossible to get the accuracy you need to do anything quickly, which is what you're aiming for in the end; your grade is based on the time you took to complete the level. It gets really frustrating when you throw yourself off a narrow platform because the positions on the analogue stick translate to nothing-nothing-nothing-too slow to get the cube to move but enough to make it twitch-full speed ahead.

The balance-on-your-edge mechanic can be used to grip moving platforms, and I gave up when this became the only way of progressing through the game. There's only a certain number of times you can fall to your doom because you didn't hold the analogue stick at precisely the right angle.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Im finding games really hard to be arsed with at the moment.

I just default to GTAO knowing I can fuck about and still progress (did a survival solo wave 1 to completition last night).

Ni No Kuni
    I want to play but I am getting a bit fed up with the hand holding.
    "We should go here to do this" follow icon to there "now we are here lets find x to do this" follow icon to x " this is x talk to x " sounds like x needs y, we can find y at z" go to z "we are at z, x needed y from here" get y "you got y lets go back to A to give x y".

DMC
    Buttins buttons buttons win.

Grid 2
    Annoying voice telling me I am amazing, long ass loading times even off an SSD, grind barriers around track, sometimes win others lose, get told I am amzing none the less.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That's what puts me off about Kuni. Unavoidable really I suppose since the game is largely aimed at tykes.
  • Im no Ghibli fan, cant stand the studio's stuff normally but Drippy (pretty much Rod Gilbert) makes it brilliany.

But constantly re-reading the same guff gets pretty annoying. Plus the combat is quick to perform but involves a load, animation, combat, animation, wait for exp stats, load cycle.

It is a Jrpg through and through.
  • My lovely Vita . Battery had been alternatively charging normally, and then not at all for the past few weeks. Till now, it's been completely black for the past four days. 

By default I've given up on:

Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection
    TxK
    Uncharted GA
    Wipeout 2097
    Little Big Planet Vita
    Persona (PsP updared version)
    Ass Creed Liberation
    Muramasa 2nd Act
    Persona 3 Portable
    Rayman Legends
    + others

At least until I buy another one - though considering the first one only lasted 15 months, I'm wary of buying another.
  • If it just died without cause and is less than two years old, you're legally entitled to a repair or replacement aren't you?
  • Nope, 1 year warranty, and the repair costs more than one of the Vita deals/bundles. Just bad luck really.
  • Consumer rights legislation overrules the warranty though.
  • Hmm... Well, looks like you have to prove it's not your fault it died. Dunno how easy that is.
  • Didn't know that, cheers. Will give it a try...IF I can locate the receipt.
  • Saints Row IV. Not that I wanted to give up - I was still really enjoying it - but a game breaking bug on a primary mission means I can get no further. I can still muck about in the city, but I've already done a lot of it and there's not much point carrying on.

The only other time I've had such a thing was on Half-Life 2, but that was kind of a relief then. Console games never used to be like this.
  • Castlevania Mirror of Fate recently. Just wasn't enjoying and the small screen and dark visuals weren't helping. Combat was a bit messy and broken. Not sure why Edge had issues with LoS2 combat not this. The LoS2 review highlights issues that would seem to apply to this.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Im finding games really hard to be arsed with at the moment.

I just default to GTAO knowing I can fuck about and still progress (did a survival solo wave 1 to completition last night).

Ni No Kuni
    I want to play but I am getting a bit fed up with the hand holding.
    "We should go here to do this" follow icon to there "now we are here lets find x to do this" follow icon to x " this is x talk to x " sounds like x needs y, we can find y at z" go to z "we are at z, x needed y from here" get y "you got y lets go back to A to give x y".

DMC
    Buttins buttons buttons win.

Grid 2
    Annoying voice telling me I am amazing, long ass loading times even off an SSD, grind barriers around track, sometimes win others lose, get told I am amzing none the less.

Agree with that DMC review Live.

( @Smang )
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii

Send message
    Im finding games really hard to be arsed with at the moment. I just default to GTAO knowing I can fuck about and still progress (did a survival solo wave 1 to completition last night). Ni No Kuni I want to play but I am getting a bit fed up with the hand holding. "We should go here to do this" follow icon to there "now we are here lets find x to do this" follow icon to x " this is x talk to x " sounds like x needs y, we can find y at z" go to z "we are at z, x needed y from here" get y "you got y lets go back to A to give x y". DMC Buttins buttons buttons win. Grid 2 Annoying voice telling me I am amazing, long ass loading times even off an SSD, grind barriers around track, sometimes win others lose, get told I am amzing none the less.
    Agree with that DMC review Live. ( @Smang )

What is it with racing games these days? It's all over the top American, brash music and some patronising cunt telling you you're amazing. And what's with the ability to rewind bullshit. I'd rather be told I'm a useless cunt than be in denial the whole time.
  • I resent my drunk views of 2 months ago being dragged back up!

Anywho
    I havent touched any of those games since. So at least I am sticking to giving them up.
    @bibidy
    100% agree.
    Burnout Paradise is one of my favourite games this gen but unfortunately seemed to start this trend.
  • Since that rant I have played Dark Souls again and fallen back in love with gaming.

Tomb Raider is on going and fantastic.

Bioshock Infinite is utter shit.

Final Fantasy 8 is just pleasant, like reading a good book.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!