@martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message

Didn't they swear by the quality of the original Xbox when it was released? They do seem to give each console it's fair share of abuse and love, when looking back at the mag over the past 10 years or so.
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    They did have a raging boner for the Xbox OG, but I think that was justified. The attention to detail was amazing, even the cable ties where a shiny green colour. It's just a shame that the 360 came out so soon, really, we never got to see what the OG could do.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The PS3 got a lot of love back in the day, it got countless cover issues for no particular reason.
  • The OG was a lovely machine. I remember trading in my PS2 for one in GameStation and the kids in there gave me strange looks.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I think they got a bit excited about the arty exclusives on the platform. (EDIT: PS3, not Xbox OG.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    The OG was a lovely machine. I remember trading in my PS2 for one in GameStation and the kids in there gave me strange looks.

I originally got mine to run Linux on, as I was going through my "fuck Microsoft" phase. But then I discovered Halo...

Fast forward a few years and I'm standing in line for the midnight launch of Halo 3, about to blow most of my savings on a limited edition console and cat helmet. Well played, Redmond. Well played.
  • Hehe

First game I played on Xbox Live was Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I was amazed that I was able to chat with Americans whilst I fired a gun. Loved it. And they seemed a mature, friendlier bunch on the Orignal box.

I am scared of multiplayer chat these days
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It's one reason I love my 3DS. You can play online Mario Kart, but you can only say set phrases from a list. No more spotty Yank teens with tiny egos questioning my parentage or accusing me of being a homofag, whatever one of those is.
  • Oh god I have been called one of them many a time whilst trying to enjoy a quiet evening killing people.

Kids today. No class.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    None at all. Not like us when we were young. When prices were reasonable. I had to walk up hill to school, you know. Both ways.
  • Metro 2033

Got so bored after just an hour or so, not sure how long I played, seemed ages. I was following some guy in tunnels getting out of Riga and came across bandits. The visuals are so ugly, the voice acting and motion capture terrible, and there was hardly any atmosphere or excitement or anything. Appreciate it might get better later, it's not exactly a game that has been panned, but boy that was a rubbish first hour or so. I have better games to spend my time on. 

It's off to next person on the list. Matty I think.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Is this payback for ICO?
  • I don't get it.

Edit: oh you're the one who doesn't like such an amazing game like ICO. You liked Metro did you? I'm not passing judgement on the whole game cos I haven't played it all. Got too bored after just a little bit.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    This means war.

And my original review of ICO was "S'alright" actually.
  • What shall I play next? I'll post on currently playing actually.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Botanicula. You will be redeemed.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Metro 2033

Got so bored after just an hour or so, not sure how long I played, seemed ages. I was following some guy in tunnels getting out of Riga and came across bandits. The visuals are so ugly, the voice acting and motion capture terrible, and there was hardly any atmosphere or excitement or anything. Appreciate it might get better later, it's not exactly a game that has been panned, but boy that was a rubbish first hour or so. I have better games to spend my time on. 

It's off to next person on the list. Matty I think.

God yeah that game was dreadful. The new one got really good reviews so I thought I'd give it a go. That too was dreadful. Dreary, sluggish, terrible sound design, gloomy visuals and a real chore to play. Just about as boring an fps as you can get. There are far far better examples out there...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I want opposite day to end RIGHT NOW.
  • Bollockoff, on a serious note I do want to hear your thoughts on the game. Should I have stuck with it if I found first few chapters dull, and what's good about it? When does it get good/better?
  • Metro didn't know what it wanted to be - horror, stealth, action? It tried to find its place by trying everything and it succeeded at none of it. Then there were the Librarians - one of the most broken enemy types I've encountered in any game.

Story was terrible too. Unsurprising really, considering the book is fucking awful as well.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Bollockoff, on a serious note I do want to hear your thoughts on the game. Should I have stuck with it if I found first few chapters dull, and what's good about it? When does it get good/better?

Personally I found it one of the most atmospheric games since the first Stalker. The feel of the gas mask in particular was masterfully done with the cracks staying on your mask from damage until you find a new one, the condensation from running low on oxygen making things even more tense and the watch checking, ohhhh the watch checking. There's more to the atmosphere than the gas mask (lighting is proper good in Metro) but it's what I loved most about it. The fact you have limited oxygen while in each outside segment helps.

Chief has some bang on complaints. The stealth aspect needed work and it's one of those games where you'l find yourself spotted for no real reason one minute and out of sight inexplicably the next. At least you can shoot out pretty much all sources of light.

Majority of the mutant enemies in the game are also hench bullet sponges with the Librarians being the worst culprits. Having the good bullets as currency was clever but I didn't feel as if they made much difference in damage so just got rich.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Metro 2033 Got so bored after just an hour or so, not sure how long I played, seemed ages. I was following some guy in tunnels getting out of Riga and came across bandits. The visuals are so ugly, the voice acting and motion capture terrible, and there was hardly any atmosphere or excitement or anything. Appreciate it might get better later, it's not exactly a game that has been panned, but boy that was a rubbish first hour or so. I have better games to spend my time on.  It's off to next person on the list. Matty I think.
    God yeah that game was dreadful. The new one got really good reviews so I thought I'd give it a go. That too was dreadful. Dreary, sluggish, terrible sound design, gloomy visuals and a real chore to play. Just about as boring an fps as you can get. There are far far better examples out there...
    Chief wrote:
    Metro didn't know what it wanted to be - horror, stealth, action? It tried to find its place by trying everything and it succeeded at none of it. Then there were the Librarians - one of the most broken enemy types I've encountered in any game. Story was terrible too. Unsurprising really, considering the book is fucking awful as well.

You three are quite clearly frothing lunatics. Metro 2033 was all kinds of epic.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just looking at it on my steam list made me realise I'm totally out on Far Cry Blood Dragon.

No fault of the game itself. It's cool and silly and far cry-y.

It's what Id term Fallout New Vegas syndrome. See, I LOVED Fallout 3 like probably very few of you guys would understand. I spent over 100 hours in that world and caned all of the DLC (Cept mothership coz it seemed a bit wank), even getting all the cheevos in that swampy one.
    So I went out and got New Vegas on launch day, only to realise... I didn't want to do more of that.

Fast forward to January and there's me utterly caning Far Cry 3, doing EVERYTHING in single player, whether there's a cheevo or not. All hunter missions, all assassinations etc. so when blood dargon rolls round, I just can't really be bothered.

A shame. I'm sure it's good.
  • Catherine

I'm beguiled by everything bar the ubiquitous  block pushing. Wanted to love it since it's from the Persona 3 team, aka greatest game that's ever been made. Thankfully I can youtube the remaining story bits.
  • I lasted a whole level of that before deleting it in disgust.
  • The Last Of Us

In all the hype, nobody was entirely honest with me about the gameplay. I fear all the 10s were blind to the dull, repetitive gameplay, instead focusing completely on the story. I love a good story and would've liked to experience it traditionally (will likely go the Youtube playthrough route at some point) but I just can't force myself to go through the boredom.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Quantum Conundrum. The first hour and a bit is alright and it's novel having Q from Star Trek as a Glados like "companion" but a while after getting the soft dimension and heavy dimension gizmos and i'm finding this incredibly boring.
  • Ni No Kuni

Ollie, Esther and that fucking vagrant that they consort with, surely the blandest cast of characters to ever grace a videogame? Sorry Drippy, you did your best but you can't carry this turgid nonsense all on your own.

Gameplay wise it's decent, but the battle system always felt clunky and (like the plot) the sidequests quickly became unbearably dull and pedestrian..... so 20hrs in, I feel like I've wrung as much enjoyment out of this one as I can. No happy ending for you this time Ollie boy, I hope Shadar makes you his biatch.

Extremely pretty game at times though. Loveliest world map I've ever seen,

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!