The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • I'm really struggling to get past the TOWIE teeth at the moment. I also still want it to be Boba fett being shit at stuff, and ending up realising he's only good as a bounty hunter. It's going far too Mando for me right now. And Ming Na is being heavily under used imo
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Caught up with Boba Fett now I'm back home and reunited with my Dolby Vision-capable telly.

Episode 1: Boba Fett does nothing cool and comes across as mildly incompetent.

Episode 2: Boba Fett does something cool but only in an apparently pointless flashback sequence. Also, we have flashback-ception as Boba Fett experiences a flashback within a flashback.

I'm not feeling it. I get the whole arc is Boba Fett is new to being a crime boss and it'll probably end with him demonstrating he can properly do the whole crime boss thing and is a bit more settled and established but episode 1 does a really bad job of re-establishing the character as this cool action hero guy you actually want to watch a TV series about. He just comes across as a badly written clown in the first episode.

I would have liked episode 2 if the whole train sequence had been modern day Boba Fett teaming up with the sand people and doing action stuff in his suit (feels like a proper nice cinema-quality but in a TV show action sequence like wot we've seen in Mando). What's the deal with all the flashbacks? I can understand why they wanted to show Fett escaping the Sarlacc pit but we already caught up with him in the Mandlorian so this dual storyline thing feels pointless and undercuts the modern-day storyline.

I would have almost preferred if they'd done a short season 1 and 2 with a few Season 1 episodes wholesale set between Return of the Jedi and Mandalorian and then Season 2 wholesale set in the present. I'm not really a fan of the structure they've chosen.

There's still time for it to turn out good and maybe the later episodes will retroactively justify the direction they've taken but at the moment I don't really see what they're trying to do with this creatively.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Agree, modern day Boba doesnt seem like a threat at all. I don't blame the mayor etc for not taking him seriously.

In a positive though, I get mad Stargate vibes in his bacta tank room. Lawks, Stargate was the nuts
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I appreciate that they had to make this different to Mando, and so Fett without his armour and gadgets being a bit crap works for me (and is in line with the movies).

My problem is that it feels a bit low budget and poorly designed - the pig guards in particular look worse than in Jedi and Jabba's old state room looks really bare - a few more hangers on in there would have worked, and Fett's droid looked made out of plastic.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm content with Fett being more of a human person as it contrasts with Mando and he worked well enough in the episodes of Mando he appeared in. I think the early flashback scenes with him in the long-john suit thing kinda lost his character a bit though - he looks cool but acts naff in the modern scenes then looks naff but acts cool in the flashback scenes. I guess he's gonna be more like Mando-era Fett in the remaining flashbacks now so at least that's sorted.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Rewatched both episodes toasted. Disengage critical faculties and they’re great.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Episode 3 seemed too dark to actually see anything. Either that or my TV is dying.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Maybe they got the cinematographer who did that game of thrones battle episode
  • Thought episode three was rotten.  The mod squad were awful.
  • Slowest chase scene ever.
  • Okay Ive given it 3 episodes. I think its time my optimistic hat comes off. Spoilers below for episode three. TLDR: Its pure shite boi.
    Spoiler:
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • It was shit.  So shit that I had to watch something after it to make up for it.  So I started watching What If as I haven't seen that.  Glad I did.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Okay Ive given it 3 episodes. I think its time my optimistic hat comes off. Spoilers below for episode three. TLDR: Its pure shite boi.
    Spoiler:

I absolutely agree with you about
    Spoiler:

Another moment of slight bewilderment, was when Fett and Shand went to the mayors office, and the assistant wouldn’t entertain arranging a meeting with the mayor. Shand pulls back her cloak to show a glimpse of her gun in its holster, and that seemed to cause a bit of panic.

Why? Fett walked in, carrying his rifle against his chest FFS!

I’m wanting to love this, but it’s just not working as well as The Mandalorian did.
  • Chase scene was amazing.
    ewdUOil.gif

It had some of the ropiest special effects I’ve seen in ages. Rest of it boring and shit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Watched some of the first episode of this Fett thing. In Spanish, Boba means dumb, which is a pretty good all round description of it.
  • monkey wrote:
    Chase scene was amazing.
    ewdUOil.gif

It had some of the ropiest special effects I’ve seen in ages. Rest of it boring and shit.

Haha. Yep episode 3 was weak. The biker gang was poor and the chase especially was laughable. Why so slow? I just didn’t get it. Did they slow down the footage to fill the time or what?

The bit in the desert was good again though. All the flashback bits are good. But still, poor episode.

That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • That last episode had a strong whiff of Stranger Things series 2 episode 7 - I don't need me no alternative gang of emo kids stinking up the place. I was actually cheering for the mayor's assistant when he managed to knock one of them off their silly shiny speeders. Dreadful stuff.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yeah the space vespas were bad.
  • To me, Fett has been established as a ruthless, highly efficient killer in the OT. This was reinforced in Mando [/spoiler]

I'll have to revisit Mando, but in the OT, Fett is actually a bit crap beyond his menace and obvious cunning and gadgets. And he handles himself badly on the sailbarge.
    In the PT (I'll count Jango as the same character), he's similar in his reliance on gadgets and allies.

The chase was definitely crap - not sure if it's bad funding or bad direction or both.
    Agree with others that the space vespas were totally out of place on a Mad Max planet.

Methinks the B Team is doing this series
  • So in OT he’s just some space pirate dude. Nothing special falls in a pit see ya

In PT his dad can fight off Kenobi and hold his own for some time - gadgets or not in the mythology that’s impressive as fuck, remember Kenobi fucks up habitual Jedi killer “wheezeborg”. Jango only meets his end at the hands of JediSJackson, who’s shown to be able to fuck up even palpating, before whinerteen sky Walker cuts his hands off

In mando we get halfway between the two. Without his armour he’s still fat and badass but with it and gadgets he easily defeats several enemies. So I rate him power level 6b and a half

Sounds like in Fat Bob he comes down to a 4a, maybe 5h?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He's only got a series because he was all the kids' favourite back in the 80s, probably because of his jetpack, cool helmet and arm gun. Certainly not because of his ten seconds in the whole trilogy. He was certainly my favourite before I even saw the film.
  • He was my favourite as a kid too. Looked cool, and there was an element of mystery about him.
  • You know I could be wrong, but I swear the voice of Boba's Android:

cd80b824-806b-4051-b153-e9da608afba5-8d8-boba-fett-matt-berry.jpg?w=414&h=300&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format%2Ccompress&blend=000000&blendAlpha=45&blendMode=normal

Is actually this guy....
    Spoiler:
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You’re not wrong, his was the first name in the credits this week.
  • Let's hope he drops a few Clem Fandangos! next week then.
  • After Richard Ayoade in Mando. Are Brit comedians being typecast as droids?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And Phoebe Waller-Bridge in Solo.
  • And ya know Anthony Daniels in 9 movies.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    And Phoebe Waller-Bridge in Solo.

The worst
  • LivDiv wrote:
    And ya know Anthony Daniels in 9 movies.

Kenny Baker too. Although that might be stretching things a little.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!