PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Disney Star Wars writing method..

giphy.gif?resize=418%2C315&ssl=1

This is the big problem really, innit? Like the big selling point of this whole multimedia universe of films, TV, comics, books, etc. was supposed to be all the continuity and connections and stuff but every piece of media is basically made on the cuff and there's no coherence whatsoever, to the point where even the basic tenets of storytelling continuity are breached and the naked capitalistic cynisism and contempt for the audience becomes evident.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's all part of the Disney subscription. Blanket subs like that for one organisation are looking to be a bad punt in the long term as they can throw any old shit into the service. I'd drop my Disney sub right now - but the daughters pay for it.  :)

The Star service is pretty good though - it's the only part of it I regularly delve into now.

For now, Mandalorian is the only bit of new Star Wars I have properly enjoyed. I'd rather they just dispense with the filler and have a mini series or a film though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Most of the Star Wars and Marvel things seem like rejected 90 minute film scripts, repurposed into mini-series. So even though they’re short for a tv series, they’re stuffed with filler.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I mean, the Obi-Wan thing. Was the first thing I've actually looked forward to in a long while wrt Star Wars . I'm making allowances but I'm finding it harder to stay with it.

But then , I'm 56. Not 11 or 12 when A New Hope came out.  It's fucking Disney.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Most of the Star Wars and Marvel things seem like rejected 90 minute film scripts, repurposed into mini-series. So even though they’re short for a tv series, they’re stuffed with filler.

I think there were rumours years ago about Boba Fett and Obi-Wan stories being produced as A Star Wars Story films a la Rogue One and Solo, IIRC.
  • I had a look at the official episode 4 discussion thread on the main Star Wars subbreddit. Yes I know reddit.
    But in general, its nothing but unconditional glowing praise of any and all Disney produced content. 
    I was amazed to see almost all the top comments were deeply critical of the episode. So many people calling out the plot holes, lazy writing and general stupidity. 

As an aside, where the fuck is Hayden Christiansen? I was looking forward to some good ole flashbacks with Anakin and Obi Wan. He didn't come back just for 10 seconds of screentime did he?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He’s wearing a suit and a mask and breathing heavily.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I assume it's actually him under the Darth Vader armour, I thought he was cast to roughly match the height of the original Darth Vader actor anyway.
  • I gave the first couple of episodes of Obi Wan a look, but it's a definite no from me.

The first thing should always be that it's for kids. All of this stuff is for kids. It's hard to remember that because of the youtubers and the blogs and the Vanity Fair articles, but it's for kids.

The second thing is that's it's just TV. Streaming does not equal the golden age of US cable, it's closer to old network junk. We have it in our heads that TV somehow transformed with The Wire, Deadwood and Breaking Bad. What's possible changed, what we're actually getting is more content than ever. 

Marvel at its core is suited to endless content creation, it might not be great content, but the endless possibilities are there. Star Wars was at its best when the greater universe was mysterious and hinted at, exploring every angle in the way Disney are now is a terrible idea.
  • It's all just too much. Take a look at what Disney has planned for the next two years across marvel and star wars and its content over kill. As much as I enjoyed the marvel stuff I don't think I want to be constantly watching it.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You could not watch it?
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I assume it's actually him under the Darth Vader armour, I thought he was cast to roughly match the height of the original Darth Vader actor anyway.
    AFAIK, its not Hayden actually. There was an article about one of the Vader body actors not getting paid. Apparently, there are 3 Vader body actors, all stunt guys or something, none Hayden.

EDIT ok, Im wrong there are 3 people in the Vader suit, one of which IS Hayden: Linkee
  • Garth Vader's voice is also generated by an algorithm apparently.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s James Earl Jones according to that article, but there is an algorithm involved, which may potentially be being used to de-age the voice.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    You could not watch it?

Of course. Just making the point that i think both brands are over stretched and its showing. Obviously if you get a kick from all of it that's fine, not going to knock anyone for enjoying it. I just feel even as a fan it all looks quite exhausting. If each show/ movie was a banger that would be one thing but (only speaking for marvel, but I think star wars is similar) the quality of all these shows and movies has been mixed.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It’s James Earl Jones according to that article, but there is an algorithm involved, which may potentially be being used to de-age the voice.
    I gather they've just paid him for the rights to his voice and it's being generated from an extensive library and filtered to sound like Vader with algorithms.

I'd have gone for Vader only being able to say five things, like an action figure, and to speak, he has to press those buttons on his chest.
    *Lord Vader checks the contents of Kenobi's iPod*
    *pushes chest button*
    I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I gather they've just paid him for the rights to his voice and it's being generated from an extensive library and filtered to sound like Vader with algorithms.

I'd have gone for Vader only being able to say five things, like an action figure, and to speak, he has to press those buttons on his chest.
    *Lord Vader checks the contents of Kenobi's iPod*
    *pushes chest button*
    I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING

Comedy potential if for an episode the voice box is swapped out with the jar jar binks toy.
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I thought they'd deepfaked it a bit as he sounds younger than Rogue One, didn't realise it was full-on algo. Probably for the best though, he just sounded too old in Rogue One.

Yeah, I'm not sure Star Wars can withstand this level of exploitation and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up burning the franchise out eventually. I just don't think it's suited for MCU-style endless content.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    For peeps like us who remember waiting for ESB and ROTJ, Star Wars was (is) special. Something you got once in a while. And it was great fun.

Nothing can really stand up to over exposure. We naturally tire of most things. Marvel has an enormous universe so I can see that going on to some degree, but not Star Wars. It was never meant to be as big as it is.  What you didn't know about is what made it feel so epic. Lucas' genius was creating that feel in that original film.

I am still a prequel apologist but I'm starting to believe that Ep.4-6 are really the only SW that should exist.  If I ever go to pay for any physical SW media again, it will likely be for those 3 films.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I wonder if there are many dedicated fans of the original 3 films who didn't see them back in the 80s? I mean, can you be a massive fan without having been a kid when they came out?
  • I_R wrote:
    The second thing is that's it's just TV. Streaming does not equal the golden age of US cable, it's closer to old network junk. We have it in our heads that TV somehow transformed with The Wire, Deadwood and Breaking Bad. What's possible changed, what we're actually getting is more content than ever.
    Yeah I've been thinking about this recently. I yarred all the main HBO shows + Mad Men + Breaking Bad. And that became tv for me. Terrestrial was nowhere really. The odd Attenborough thing and occasional football. It wasn't just the poor quality but the delivery method wasn't anything like what I wanted anymore. Then Netflix came along and got the delivery right. But despite them trying quite hard with the production values, the quality was...mixed. Now they're all at it and pumping out very glossy looking tripe that is just as dumb and crap as the stuff I thought I'd escaped. The new has become the old. 
    Got to watch something though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I wonder if there are many dedicated fans of the original 3 films who didn't see them back in the 80s? I mean, can you be a massive fan without having been a kid when they came out?

Six million dollar question. I'm guessing no. Certainly nowhere near the degree to which we are / I am.

I mean, I've never got over experience the videogame arcade. It's all about the individual (age etc.) at that time.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Kow wrote:

There was a big push around the Special Editions of the original trilogy in 1997 before Phantom Menace came out in 1999, which is how I got into Star Wars. Written out, it doesn't seem that long a time but it certainly felt it at the time, I still perceive the prequel trilogy as like a new thing that came along later (probably partly because the trilogy wasn't completed until 2005).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is your fanboy hat as big as ours, though?
  • davyK wrote:
    For peeps like us who remember waiting for ESB and ROTJ, Star Wars was (is) special. Something you got once in a while. And it was great fun. Nothing can really stand up to over exposure. We naturally tire of most things. Marvel has an enormous universe so I can see that going on to some degree, but not Star Wars. It was never meant to be as big as it is.  What you didn't know about is what made it feel so epic. Lucas' genius was creating that feel in that original film. I am still a prequel apologist but I'm starting to believe that Ep.4-6 are really the only SW that should exist.  If I ever go to pay for any physical SW media again, it will likely be for those 3 films.
    I don't think overexposure is the issue. How many movies in the MCU did we watch that lead to Infinity War? I cant remember but probably 15 or 20 maybe? A fair number of those movies were very good, most were competently made. Problem with the new SW content is its not competently made IMO. Mando and Rogue One being the exceptions I think.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The problem is you're not 12.
  • davyK wrote:
    For peeps like us who remember waiting for ESB and ROTJ, Star Wars was (is) special. Something you got once in a while. And it was great fun. Nothing can really stand up to over exposure. We naturally tire of most things. Marvel has an enormous universe so I can see that going on to some degree, but not Star Wars. It was never meant to be as big as it is.  What you didn't know about is what made it feel so epic. Lucas' genius was creating that feel in that original film. I am still a prequel apologist but I'm starting to believe that Ep.4-6 are really the only SW that should exist.  If I ever go to pay for any physical SW media again, it will likely be for those 3 films.
    I don't think overexposure is the issue. How many movies in the MCU did we watch that lead to Infinity War? I cant remember but probably 15 or 20 maybe? A fair number of those movies were very good, most were competently made. Problem with the new SW content is its not competently made IMO. Mando and Rogue One being the exceptions I think.

There are a few clunkers in the marvel run but thats a fair assesment. I think what helped is that it began to feel like it was leading to a definitive end and the characters were growing and moving forward. There's only one kinda prequel in the Marvel run initiallly (Captain Marvel) and its so seperated from the others that it doesnt imapct at all. It tells it own story for the most part. Star Wars has 5 prequels in its 11 movie run which I think is part of its problem. Disney would have been far better using their trilogy to establish a new main set of characters and build from there. Going back to the past so heavily is a mistake. It doesnt help that Return of Skywalker leaves nowhere for the Trilogy to go without having to restart things. You can compalin about last jedi scorching the earth but First Order and Kylo are still in play when the movie ends. There's no villain left at all at the end of Skywalker.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    There are a few clunkers in the marvel run but thats a fair assesment. I think what helped is that it began to feel like it was leading to a definitive end and the characters were growing and moving forward. There's only one kinda prequel in the Marvel run initiallly (Captain Marvel) and its so seperated from the others that it doesnt imapct at all. It tells it own story for the most part. Star Wars has 5 prequels in its 11 movie run which I think is part of its problem. Disney would have been far better using their trilogy to establish a new main set of characters and build from there. Going back to the past so heavily is a mistake. It doesnt help that Return of Skywalker leaves nowhere for the Trilogy to go without having to restart things. You can compalin about last jedi scorching the earth but First Order and Kylo are still in play when the movie ends. There's no villain left at all at the end of Skywalker.
    And that's a perfect jumping off point to do something different. Could do a timejump back/forward or just move to a different part of the galaxy, have almost zero overlap. But I don't have confidence that Disney can pull off anything good.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    And that's a perfect jumping off point to do something different. Could do a timejump back/forward or just move to a different part of the galaxy, have almost zero overlap. But I don't have confidence that Disney can pull off anything good.

I both agree and disagree. Leaving quality aside, if Skywalker was the end of the Lucas movies (and maybe that was the intention) than thats fine. Its a proper finish, and lets move on (leave prequels in the past). But I always got the feeling that the new trilogy was meant to be the start of the Disney era, with mostly new characters getting the hand off from the original cast. In that case, the ending is a mess. But fair enough, its finished, lets move on Disney.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!