General Bear Knuckle
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tekken was awesome. Was really hoping on Khan figuring out the runback, but the best man won.
    The whole top 16 made me want to load the game back up.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I've been enjoying dabbling in 7. That story mode is laughable though. Left it and now just Treasure Mode, mostly. New trailer was suitably chaotic.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That's it... It's probably the best 'casual' fighting game there is right now. 
    Even playing online ranked is fun.

I'm just not playing often enough.

Khan made Geese look really fun to play. As did Super Akouma and his, erm, Akuma.
    I've not fully appreciated the whole Tekken vs Street Fighter dev element, that's found it's way into Tekken 7.

The top players make me think that the work that Namco did to include these 2D characters in the game, with their original movesets, is actually super clean... More fun to watch than SFV itself.

But then even Divekick is more fun to watch than SFV at the moment...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    A teaser for a new Garou MotW? I missed that... I have it on Switch, and think it's ok, but the reboot will need to go some ways for me to feel bovved'.
  • New Garou? Awooow!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Man, I really miss SFIV. Best vs. fighter. 

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    There's a big UK Versus Fighters event going on today, if anyone's interested.
    But came to ask a technical question...

How many of you guys think you can recognise 4 - 8 frames of input delay? And if you honestly can, if offline modes enforced it, how ruinous might you consider the decision to be?

I'm sensitive to FPS (60fps to 30fps is night and day for me. I know it's not the same for everyone), but much less sensitive to input delay. 
    16 frames, certainly, but sub 8 barely registers on me.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Latency perception improves with accumulation of input feedback in a given timeframe, but fightmen are full of timings we acclimatise to. No two plays of a twitch game are ever identical, so you're more attuned to their lag from relying on AV confirmations between inputs. (Imagine having to hitconfirm everything!)

Animations also play their part, where one fightman can feel snappier than another with the same input lag.

But to answer your question: yeah, I could feel the difference between 4 and 8 for reactive inputs. The rest of the time not so much. And maybe not at all if I'm just stepping about.
  • Had a dabble on Dragonball Fighterz last night.

It's superb button mashing fun. Kinda want to learn it now.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Latency perception improves with accumulation of input feedback in a given timeframe, but fightmen are full of timings we acclimatise to. No two plays of a twitch game are ever identical, so you're more attuned to their lag from relying on AV confirmations between inputs. (Imagine having to hitconfirm everything!) Animations also play their part, where one fightman can feel snappier than another with the same input lag. But to answer your question: yeah, I could feel the difference between 4 and 8 for reactive inputs. The rest of the time not so much. And maybe not at all if I'm just stepping about.

Like, I can understand some of the implications (as a scrub Rog player in SF4, certainly!), but in SF5, where this 'controversy' first arose, and the game being designed around it, I don't think anyone's missing much.

It would be possible, I'm sure, on a game where input lag is retrofitted, to tell the difference with a crude experiment (mash jab online, then offline, and test). But for SF5? I suppose you'd get some people who'd compare SF5 with SF4, input by input, notice the small delay on startup on jab, and start asking probing questions.

What's more, it looks like the community is willing to leave that hard requirement behind, and use other tools to win. 

@eltigre - I have DBZ, love the graphics, and don't actually hate the game. But I just don't play it... It just hasn't clicked for me. It actually does a lot of things right... For example, somewhat lining up with this input precision talk, the combo system is very beginner friendly, and so the challenge combos are actually accessible. Playing online can be a bit stressful though.

But I think the main thing that slowed me down (apart from the time investment), is the relentless seasonal update schedule. 
    That's everywhere now though, so it's not the best excuse.
  • In my pursuit of paraphernalia, I managed to secure a Skill Smith VHS for 3rd Strike called 'SOLUTION'. I already had two 2nd Impact Skill Smith tapes but I'm made up we found another.

Let's go back to 23rd September 1999

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I too, wholly agree that things were much better back then. :]

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Slow as a white man in slippers.

I still think Viper's the best character they've ever had. Her and 3S Akuma are the ones I've had the most fun using.

Like combos in SF2 I believe she was a happy accident; except they didn't embrace her.

Most people thought she was weak at first, before discovering her instant-air Burn Kick shortcut and ability to cancel DP into a feint for links and mindgames. Thus fierce-feint-fierce and chained Seismic Hammers for ground pressure, cancelling out of one if it landed into IABK, and then Ultra/Super if you had one.

Besides FADC, she only really needed meter for EX Hammers. Her other EX moves were generally worse than her natural options! So yeah, I'm certain she was accidental to at least some degree. I'm sure they knew her blockstring lockdown was good.

And for that she was fluid — more pliable for expression than any other character. You can tell they're going for fluidity with Jamie, but it's all ersatz in a game that enforces slow-paced meter rule on him. Swooshier movements with universal limitations. Rigid.

To play Viper at a highish level you needed pretty extreme execution, and I get that nobody wants a whole game of that, but here's the thing: while few could really master her, almost everyone could learn how to play against her. It's like how most players can't reliably chain Kazuya's electrics, but that's okay when there are loads of characters you can flourish with instead, while anti-Kaz strats don't push those requirements on you.

So many games are dumbing down now, and I wonder how long until devs start profiling us. For example, Lee was actually quite decent for about the third time ever in season two of Tekken 7, but then nerfed again thereafter. I put that down to a bit of human error, but it raised the thought.

Because we've always seen nerf calls for strong characters, but what happens when it's not a strong character but one that simply annoys bare folk? El Fuerte, say. Where if buffing a lowly character causes a drop in player hours following increased representation, they get nerfed in response to tracking data suggesting a spike in frustration.

I feel Street Fighter VI is making the same mistake as V (and most modern fightmen) in trying to prioritise a frustration-free experience (what with the global rise of comeback mechanics, easy inputs and excessive meter), which I think is counter to the rewards of the old-school journey.

The risk of abject failure is the heart of a competitive endeavour's appeal. I still vividly remember the first time I played Tekken (coin-op in Devon) and got absolutely wrecked by a younger lad. Had it given me some charity damage I wouldn't have left so inspired to get the home version.
  • Viper was a sick character, no doubt.
  • Viper good Hakan better.

I'm broadly with Escape in that I don't think just shortening combos, or making only certain things combo, or making inputs easier, or having fewer tools to remember is helpful for fighting games.

People trying to get into fighting games are like people trying to get into mobas or FPS royale type stuff.

Maybe if the developers put more effort into half decent tutorials that show players you can do things like buffering your fucking inputs during one move to make the next move combo, or show the fucking hotboxes, or explain how startup, hitstun, pushback etc. work then new players would be able to learn the idiosyncrasies that at the moment you have to dig up on discord or old forums or 90 minute YouTube videos and they might be more inclined to stick around if they don't find a community of people too hang around with online.

Maybe if devs and publishers put actual effort info a tournament system, the playerbade would be more likely to stick around, as they would have some reason to keep watching our coming back to the game.

I know fgc devs are smol bean babies with previous baby soft bottoms, but I can't believe that even games like Guilty Gear where a player was given so many tools to use at their discretion, where basically if the frames would allow it, you could do it, have become games where there are shorter, fixed combos by rote, with maximum effort made to stop people feeling bad because they don't use the defensive tools to stop themselves getting reamed in the corner. Because when you are spectating, watching a player tee off on someone with a huge combo, in the clutch, at the highest level, is fucking good shit.

Shout outs mahvel 3, Tekken (all of them) and Guilty Gear ( up to Rev 2), and KoF 13 and maybe also 14 and possibly 15 iunno, shout outs Big Band trombone solos, shout outs Viper knuckle cancels and Hakan oil combos, shout outs any games I missed like BBTag where it happens but I dunno because I never played them.

Shout outs revoked for GG Strive, SF5 and 6 and MvC4. SHAME. SHAME I SAY.

Here endeth old man yelling pathetically at the clouds of his lost youth.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    SF4, while also once heavily criticised, is still much more playable than most of the 2D fighters that have come out since.
    Which is funnier still, because despite our fervence, I don't think any of us would have SF4 down on a list of our top 3 favourite versions of Street Fighter.

Let alone a top 3 list of favourite fighting games.

Might be interested in some Tekken 7 action, if anyone has it on Steam?
    Been dabbling again.
  • I think most studios still expect The Internet to do most of the lifting for education and it turns out that's not a great approach.

Mind you, it's also probably difficult and expensive to justify to product managers, so.
  • Which is funnier still, because despite our fervence, I don't think any of us would have SF4 down on a list of our top 3 favourite versions of Street Fighter. Let alone a top 3 list of favourite fighting games. ...
    Really? I'd have thought it would be in almost everyone's.
  • I'd have SFIV in my top 3 SF games I reckon.
  • tigrrrruppercut high five o/
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I really enjoyed SF4. It was timely, and MM was a beautiful thing.

In my top 3 list, Alpha 2 and Super Turbo are definitely taking the first two slots. Need to think carefully about number 3... It could well be Championship Edition. I have a lot of fond memories of that. 3rd Strike is also excellent, but I never did get into the culture behind the game. It's one of the best to spectate though, certainly.

Edit - Almost forgot Capcom vs SNK 2 too...
  • nick_md wrote:
    I'd have SFIV in my top 3 SF games I reckon.
  • High five for elf too o/
  • \o
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    games where there are shorter, fixed combos by rote, with maximum effort made to stop people feeling bad because they don't use the defensive tools to stop themselves getting reamed in the corner.

If more old-school players drift away as a result, and it seems that's already happened to some degree (not forgetting the natural aspect of ageing as a factor), I think devs risk overengaging a fickler audience with less tolerance for any depth that overchallenges them.

Like I said about the progression of tracking tech these days, it's not hard to imagine this new playerbase driving design choices through harvested play data in future.

Hakan crossed my mind when I wrote about Viper, because some of his oil tech was likewise unintentionally brilliant. Happy accidents of input leniency were across the board in IV; Viper cancelled her Hammers with a halfcircle from down to up! Ibuki also had a weird input for low kunais, ending a TK with forward for a few frames before pressing a button (fluffed if you pressed before her first airborne frame).

Shout outs mahvel 3, Tekken (all of them) and Guilty Gear ( up to Rev 2), and KoF 13 and maybe also 14 and possibly 15 iunno, shout outs Big Band trombone solos, shout outs Viper knuckle cancels and Hakan oil combos, shout outs any games I missed like BBTag where it happens but I dunno because I never played them.

Shoutouts to Cervantes' lost gun juggles. Soulcalibur IV had its problems, but excluding Virtua Fighter 5's iterations it's the last 3D fighter without comeback mechanics. The last hardcore example in that regard.

Street Fighter IV's my favourite SF in terms of what I'd most enjoy now. First edition. Nothing's beating II for historical impact. I only wish it had had a better artstyle and music. I think Guile's airfield was my favourite stage, purely because I could see the action clearly.
  • Bought JJASBR on Steam for me sins. I wonder if this will gain any kind of traction with anyone.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Not to say I don't dig taking a horse and small dog into battle.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!