I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Accidental pic of my messy old shmup floor..

d8HXMkT.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jesus at long last.... got to level 6.

YmBvTsF.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have a level 6 save state now so need to hammer that. It's a pretty relentless level and the boss is a nightmare - not getting anywhere near to that though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Taking a wee break these last 2 days by playing a bit of Xevious. Minded to because Layer Section draws its inspiration from the old crusty shooter.

I remember giving this a passing glance in the arcades. It got the odd credit from me but it tended to be one of those cabinets in out of the way places - near the fire exit or such. It wasn't much of a looker unless the screen was pristine because of its limited colour pallete and for some reason every Xevious cabinet I encountered had a very faded display. Also it was good at eating coins unless you spent a bit of time with it.

Boy does it have a certain something though. Once you play a couple of games it gets its hooks into you. I have a PS1 game that is a semi 3D update called Xevious 3D/G+ which is actually quite good. It plays more or less as a 2D game. But the disc also has original Xevious, Super Xevious and Xevious Arrangement all with TATE modes and comprehensive options. Very pleasing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've found myself falling into the trap of point pressing in Layer Section. At the start of this I was getting my 1st 1UP at 500K when I killed  the level 2 boss.  I'm getting over 800K now at the same place and was close to 1M (and 2nd 1UP) the other day.

The price for that is rank-a-gogo. So I need to ease back on that a bit.

Have ordered the Raiden Project for PS1. I'd like to get Raiden DX but the prices are nuts. I'm going to leave it for few week and watch prices to see what the average is. Best price I've seen is £60 which isn't too bad but not impulse level either. It's pretty much at my limit re justifying things to myself and I can get my Raiden kick from Project which has Raiden 1 and 2 on the same disc for £30.   DX is supposed to be superb though.   I mean I can get 1 & 2 on MAME so this is more of a collecting thing.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm guessing point pressing is quite literal, as in sitting on top of the hit box, and trying to avoid actually touching it. A tactic that took me forever to become comfortable with, in fact I'm probably still not yet, but I do at least try it sometimes nowadays
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Maybe you mean point blanking? With some games like Raiden III you get more points for that. It's also a technique with some other games for getting rid of larger enemies more quickly. The bosses in Samurai Aces require point blanking for a quick kill if you are going to stand a chance.

Well with Layer Section I just mean trying to squeeze as many points as I can out of a level. Once you are powered up to the max, powerups start to give you points and the amount increases as you pick them up. 

And the game has a link combo system for the homing weapon that is really compulsive (it's the game's main hook really) but draws you into risk taking. It can make a really big difference to scores.

But as the score climbs and you don't lose lives the rank goes up quicker than normal. This game starts to add enemies, increase bullet speed and make certain enemies more aggressive. There's a mini boss in level 3 that will come right down the screen into your face if your score is too high for example.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ahhhhh, I'm an idiot, I said literal but I thought "weak point" not "point score"
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiden Project for PS1 arrived today. The JP version. Playing it on my JP-PS2.

Raiden 2 is a bit tasty. I've only played a bit of the original using MAME. Of course I've played a lot of Raiden III.

This is great step between the 1 and 3 and it's probably the best entry to be honest. Early days though. This is great port on PS1 with all the sensible features such as TATE etc. Raiden 1 plays better on this than in MAME which feels a bit jerky. This is buttery smooth with both games and having the Hori stick helps too of course. Will try not to get too distracted by this though - need to keep at it with Layer Section.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Few more level 5 boss runs on Layer Section after taking a break for a couple of days. But I felt good playing it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Better day today. Level 5 boss runs but getting more consistent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Started this evening's session with my 2nd level 6 run and a 1.91m high score.

2nd run - got to level 4 with no loss of life. Then it all went South. Usual issue with rank. The patterns were a bit different. Lost a life and didn't recover.

Few more mediocre runs after that. I might have to think about suiciding at the start of level 4 to calm it down - certainly if I get there with all 5 lives intact.

Starting to think about resources now.

So if I suicide at start of level 4 on a good run, I reckon I can do that level with no life loss. Level 5 isn't actually that hard once you get past the first section. So I reckon I could get to level 6 with 4 lives.

Plan is to keep trying to achieve that on the Saturn while doing some level 6 practice on the emulator. Will try doing that alternative nights and see how I get on.
  • It was a lot more appealing when their releases were more limited, i.e. a fixed edition size, rather than open preorders.  I will buy this, though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I look at PS4 releases with some envy but I can't justify it to myself as a shmup console esp with the pile I already own.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    URA PROGRESS REPORT DAY 390

Getting the no-miss no-bomb clear more often lately.  Twice in one day!  One credit ended at the TLB.  I think I can see the light.  Another six months and I'll have cracked it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wow.....

To access the Ura loop you have to no miss no bomb loop 1 - that right?

When you got to TLB that was on Ura loop?

Yikes!!!

Me? I'm getting to level 6 of Layer Section more often now. Level 6 is a step up though. In particular there is a section just before the boss that requires a really tight route and I'm nowhere near figuring it out. I need to do some more save state practice using shmupArch.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Yep, no-miss, no-bomb, then the TLB which only appears in Ura.  The run was already over because I lost my composure and died four times on the final stage.  Must stay calm and remember my training.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I know you tend to need all/most of your lives for the TLB in Cave games though....so you almost need to no miss the 2nd loop too.

Nuts.

You are right about staying calm though - it's amazing the difference it makes when you can convince yourself that "it doesn't matter" if you take a hit. You seem to see the bullets better - hard to explain really.

Hard to get yourself into that frame of mind though. I'd find the pressure of having to perfect the 1st loop stressful enough but I suppose better players like yourself can get to that level of skill with the number of hours you put in.

When you take a hit in Layer Section the explosion sound is really loud. It really jars and it's REALLY annoying. Taking a hit in a Cave game doesn't generate such a jarring noise and it really makes a difference. Getting hit is still annoying but the sound of it isn't as jarring.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    HaHa...tried playing with music on in the background instead of the game sound....another level 6 run. Broke 2m. Got some way into it too. Lost a stupid life just before the level 5 boss otherwise I could have got deeper.  Screenshot 'cos why not? :)   I love the old sci-fi font on the high score screen.

fZYbw3Q.jpg

Thinking about resources. I need to get to level 5 with 4 lives (that's 1 loss). Then allow myself to lose a life on level 6 (which might help with rank) to give myself 3 lives at the final level...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I tried streaming live last night using the features in retroArch. I'm using that emulator for focussed practice.

Sadly it seems to rotate the image when I stream and I can't find any way of replicating what I see on screen with the stream :(

Tried recording play to a file and it comes out the same when I upload it to youtube. I'd like to be able capture some runs of this and capturing it ghetto off the CRT gives very poor results.

I could return to shmupMAME but it's a bit buggy and it's a faff capturing the recorded replay and then uploading to YT.

I'm noticing some differences between the emulated game and the Saturn port set on Normal. There are several difficulty levels above that. I tried setting it to "Hard1" and while I noticed some subtle changes to bullet patterns it didn't match the arcade game. Might mess about with it to see which level recreates the arcade game (if indeed any do). It's damn close though even on Normal.

My save states are with no lives lost so the rank is mental but it's good sometimes to do that as it makes a live run feel a bit more pedestrian.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bumping along. Have cracked 2m 3 times and nudged my hiscore up a bit now and getting to level 6 more often. Getting a great deal more comfortable with all the bosses too.

Credit fed a bit to have a crack at the level 6 boss. It's hard to tell what it will be like during a run though since I expect the rank to be higher but it's not as terrifying now.

Cleansed my palate and toyed with Raiden IV a bit on Steam. It's a hell of a score chaser this version - you can keep shooting enemies after they are disabled to generate bonus pickups (called overkilling) and there's a great risk/reward thing going on with that. Plenty of modes to mess about with too. 

Also played a credit of DDP DFK on Steam. I accidentally selected v1.51 which seems to chuck you into the secret route more or less by default. 

In v1.5 you have to kill certain large enemies near the start of level 1 before they blow up large fuel tanks that are part of the level - achieve that and you swoop over to the secret route that has copies of the normal levels with mid-bosses from original DDP and there seems to be slightly different enemy patterns. I'm not exactly sure what is going on with v1.51 though.  DFK has a bewildering number of options and modes. One of the "biggest" games out there for content. 
    It also has a Black Label Arrange mode that seems to be a hybrid of DDP DFK with Ketsui chips and scoring...very odd. Very entertaining though. The 360 port of this (which I also have - it got a UK release and was dirt cheap when I first got my 360) doesn't have the BL Arrange mode which is why I doubled down on the Steam version.
  • Ketsuipachi! It’s awesome. Other arrange modes are fun too. I have the Jp BL disc.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The different ship styles in DFK add another layer of variety....you have the classic red,green,ship choice but then you the bomb,power,strong style as well...

The depth of the scoring system is head spinning. I've read several articles about it - how anyone has figured it out is beyond me.

Some of the special modes confine you to certain ships but even then, the amount of play value in DFK is astounding. The UK disc has everything apart from BL Arrange aka Ketsuipachi. Comes with a soundtrack CD. I got mine brand new for less than £10.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Banging my head against a wall today. Nudged my best score up a tad so there's that. Was reset-a-go-go today.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Video showing the quality of the new G-Darius port. M2 still the masters - Switch or PS4 - don't matter.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Layer Section is driving me nuts. I'm gradually filling up my high score table with level 6 + 2m pt runs. Just can't make the breakthrough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Going to order an older 360 console so I can get it hooked up to my CRT so I can get the most of Futari et al with RGB SCART.  My 360 is the last revision and it has no AV port - HDMI or composite jacks only
  • davyK wrote:
    Going to order an older 360 console so I can get it hooked up to my CRT so I can get the most of Futari et al with RGB SCART.  My 360 is the last revision and it has no AV port - HDMI or composite jacks only

Got rid of my arcade cab today to a collector (see house thread) and he mentioned that it's quite popular to get a 360 rigged up to a cab these days for shumpthusiasts. Reckon you could get one of those build your own cabs with a 360 in fairly cheapish.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!