Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Going to order an older 360 console so I can get it hooked up to my CRT so I can get the most of Futari et al with RGB SCART.  My 360 is the last revision and it has no AV port - HDMI or composite jacks only
    Got rid of my arcade cab today to a collector (see house thread) and he mentioned that it's quite popular to get a 360 rigged up to a cab these days for shumpthusiasts. Reckon you could get one of those build your own cabs with a 360 in fairly cheapish.

Yeah. It makes quite a difference standing up to play. I think it helps concentration. My Asteroids cabinet still getting loved.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Why did I not know about Crimzon Clover on Switch?  A faultless port apparantly.

Not sure what to do. There's a PC version as well but I fancy it on Switch for some reason.

No physical version which is a shame. I'll always pay a premium for that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Layer Section on Saturn gives you 4 credits. So I'm now using them when I get a game over on level 6 to get used to its boss and level 7 too. Your lives drop like ninepins after continuing because of your loss of powerups but it's still worthwhile I feel. You don't start with a pea shooter as it throws some power up items to snag but you are still relatively under powered.

Got to the final boss yesterday for the first time by using those credits. Hard to judge what it will be like as part of a 1 credit run though as the rank will be different.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I hate that about some shmups, once you've lost the first life, you might as well start again because the next lives are worthless apart from as an opportunity to view the next wave
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. A life loss isn't so bad in this game as you only drop a power level. A game over sets you back to the lowest level but it throws power up tokens onto the screen to for you to snag.

Original Gradius games have that life loss syndrome though...pretty much a game over if you are going for a 1CC. Gradius V fixed it by leaving your options on screen to pick up though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I guess it's part of the reason that no bombs no lives runs are so popular, because those games back in the day made it the "sensible" way to clear a game. Three lives was bullshit, bomb was the only way to preserve the run and stay viable
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I remember getting far into Parodius on mame many years ago then just being ultra fucked because I died at a fast moving screen part, and not having the speed mobility to get past it. Yeah that shit can do one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Arcade games. There to fleece you. :) :)

Gra/Paro-dius default ship speed really broke that series.  Quite often your new life had the power up indicator lit up so you could activate but if you lost another life before picking up any tokens you were screwed.
  • davyK wrote:
    Why did I not know about Crimzon Clover on Switch?  A faultless port apparantly. Not sure what to do. There's a PC version as well but I fancy it on Switch for some reason. No physical version which is a shame. I'll always pay a premium for that.

WHAAAAAAATTTT?! Must. Buy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Why did I not know about Crimzon Clover on Switch?  A faultless port apparantly. Not sure what to do. There's a PC version as well but I fancy it on Switch for some reason. No physical version which is a shame. I'll always pay a premium for that.
    WHAAAAAAATTTT?! Must. Buy.

Has a pile of modes. Looks quite superb. I hadn't realised it was designed by a super player of Cave games, called Clover, who has some DDP and SDOJ WRs. So by all accounts if feels like a brand new Cave game.

Which is a good thing in my book.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Layer Section progess: Got deep into level 6 for the first time. Just dropped out in the final section before the level 6 boss. Scored 2.1m. Satisfying.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing like a Panda.

Harumph.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More crap play today but will go back in an hour or two.

Had a brief "test" dalliance with Raiden DX that arrived today. Looking and playing swell on my JP PS2 with the rotated screen. Doesn't suffer fools.  Was a JP PS1 exclusive. Not a straight arcade port either with a clutch of extras.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Getting the measure of the level 6 boss now, and the tough preceeding section.  Progress of a kind.

Levels 4 and 6 are the make or break levels at the minute.
  • You can do it Davy x
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Starting to believe it now that level 6 has started to lie down. I'm playing this old school arcade style now instead of using MAME and save states - I'm using credits (you get 4 on the Saturn port) if I get to level 6 on my first one so I can practice level 6 and have a crack at the final level. It's starting to feel possible now.....a bit more time needed though.

I tend to play 30-45min a session. I know if I could go at it harder I'd get clears quicker but I start to make more mistakes after 45mins or so. However I do manage a session most days.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Big stupid grin time. Have bought a 2nd 360. A slim which has an AV port (My E series on HDMI or composite only). RGB SCART cable arrived today and so I've sampled Futari on a rotated CRT for the first time.

Need to get back Layer Section.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Nice, am looking forward to getting somewhere to live sorted. My work set up of choice in recent years (hahaha, I've hardly worked the last few years, but I know what I mean) has been laptop directly below one landscape screen, second screen portrait for the text editor. Which also means that simply shifting the emulator from one screen to another will also give me the chance to play "properly"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Once you TATE it's really hard to go back.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hard drive for my slim arrived so installed my shmups and it's great to see the likes of Under Defeat, Futari and DFK running on a CRT rotated.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Back to Layer Section and my consistency seems to be improving. I've had another problem with rank as I'm scoring too well early on which makes the level 3 boss really nasty but as long it's the only life I lose until the level 5 boss I'll be OK with that.

Getting to level 6 now more often than not. And I've figured out the tough section just before the boss. So it's gradually getting that little bit better.

Got to my furthest point ever today on 1 credit...just before the lvl6 boss.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This damn game.

This damn genre.

Played bad tonight. And the rage.

The rage.

Sigh.
  • Hang in there big man, we're rooting for you.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Calm now.

Tomorrow is another effing day.

The pain and the pleasure.

Heh. :)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yup, new dawn, new effort

I was ridiculously unproductive today, I know that tomorrow will be different though
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's such a bloody awful and yet brilliant genre. You have to be on your game , else you get your arse smacked. But when it goes right there's nothing else quite like it.   It must be a tiny bit like what an elite sports person feels like when they are in the zone.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not a tiny bit, I reckon it's exactly that. I'm no route sportsman, but I've played a few a half decent level, like county and semi pro. I massively believe in "flow state", which is a recent weeks that i tried to describe to folk 25 years ago with no success because I didn't understand it (or words) enough to do so
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More pain last night. A couple of level 6 runs but I need to get there with 2 or more lives. I can now say categorically that level 4 is a cunt.  I think it needs a less aggressive approach in one particular section that can easily end a run. Tried concentrating on bullet steering and dodging instead of all out attack and it seems hopeful.

In other news I tried Deathsmiles on 360S and my larger hori CRT and it looks absolutely stunning; especially in 360 mode. I thought the original arcade mode would look better on the CRT I have to admit. It looks great but the 360 mode is more vibrant.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Still at it.

Level 4 still a bogey level but slowly getting better. Nudged my best score up a wee bit with some level 6 runs. I keep taking a breaking for a day or two but I know I need to play this each day to be able to break through.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sore throat from growling at myself....playing like an arse tonight. Somehow scrambled to level 6 in one run but was fucking up in level 2 and 3. Powered off before boot/CRT interface. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!