• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sigh. Haven't played in a week now.

What's worse is I got side tracked after watching a Muchi Muchi Pork review which prompted me to boot that up again last night. Haven't played that in years. Really enjoyable. I find the medal collecting really compulsive. Level 3 boss stopped me in my tracks. BAU re Cave games and me then. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jaimers doing his stuff .....TLB on DFK-BL.......ridonkulous.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Back at Layer Section and all of a sudden level 6 seems do-able. Weird. Took a break for around a week and after a hour or so of getting back into it and then a few days of regular practice, I'm close to being to go for a run with the aim to get to level 7. 

Backed up with some level 4 practice too and getting more comfortable with the trickiest section it has.

I reckon level 4 and 6 can be done with the loss of a life each , leaving me with 3 (ok - 2 to allow for a screw up) going into the last level. Losing a life in level 4 or 5 isn't the end of the world as it takes the edge off the rank. Level 6 at max rank is probably beyond me at the minute but probably not worth trying to go for.

Need to knuckle down now and not let this get away from me again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a mobile phone version of DOJ that was exclusive to JP phones several years back. The dev., G-MODE, has ported it and other games to PC now (for reasons unknown!). I think there's a Switch port too.

They aren't great and are no sub for the real thing but they are a fun thing to check out. I got their port of DOJ off Steam for £3 and it's a nice little curio and remains quite enjoyable despite the obvious limitations of old Java phones. Might be worth a look for fun at the price.

https://gmodecorp.com/gmodearchives/cave/dodonpachidaioujodx/

COVID knocked me sideways re game playing, so I haven't gone near Layer Section in 2 weeks.. Need to get back up to speed with that now. I've just been playing gentle casual style this last week when I started feeling up to playing anything again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have started playing an old Taito shmup while I was recovering from COVID. It's a meat and potatoes old school 90s vertical shmup called Gekirindan by Taito.

Very straightforward in terms of scoring and the first 3 levels (out of 5) are rather pedestrian. It was perfect for me to ease myself back in. It's Taito so it has a Zuntata soundtrack but it also has a pleasant look that reminds one of Layer Section. The homing missile looks exactly the same for example and it has a dual layer look to it in later levels (albeit without any lock on attack). By all accounts this was the last shmup Taito did before all the shooter devs left and has some fan service references to Toaplan games.

Getting to level 4 on 1 credit and it starts to show its teeth then. Credit fed to the end last night and the last level cranks up again but I think this will be a managable 1CC for me to do before leaving it. I reckon someone like @Dubs would chalk this up in an hour or two!! :)  Three quite different ships to play with so it will have some replay value too.

It's implemented nicely in Taito Legends 2 for PS2. Heard it got a Saturn port but it's ropey. MAMEable too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't been playing much but returned to Gekirindan tonight and got to level 4 boss.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I keep finding great shmups on my PC Engine mini. It's hard to believe some them are running on an 8-bit machine.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The few PCE ones I've tried are remarkable. Gate of Thunder is a highlight. Star Parodier too.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Star Parodier is a definite chefs_kiss.gif
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Castle Shikigami 2 has appeared on Steam.

Very nice game though I already have it for JP-PS2/GC.

There may be some extra content - haven't checked. It's been a while since this got a release so an arrange mode is a possibility. I only ever got to the level 3 boss on this with 1 credit - the boss is unusual in that it plays like a puzzle mode - you have to shoot and line up colour blocks to make them auto clear otherwise you get swamped as they move down the screen.

There's a pile of characters that play quite differently and it's one of those scrape games. Feels a bit Touhou in places.

EDIT: there's a new dramatic change mode which I think lets you switch between characters. Initial reports overall are that the port is very good.
  • I've started to get DavyK vids pop up in my youtube recs, nice.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Castle Shikigami 2 has appeared on Steam.

There's a demo, too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I've started to get DavyK vids pop up in my youtube recs, nice.

Heh. Yikes!

I'd like to redo some of them with commentary but I'd need to experiment a fair bit.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone tinkered with Spriggan? It's on the PC Engine mini and it's a bit magic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never played it but heard of it. From the same stable as Megadrive MUSHA so has a good pedigree.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The first one is pretty good. They went side-on, rather than traditional vertical, with the sequel, and it's not quite as much fun.
  • Yo Davy, look at what just dropped on my doorstep!

x1jG2L7.jpg
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I am intrigued, just by the name.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's another gem from Cave. That the One / PS4 edition @hylian_elf?
  • Yep
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just gave Dangun Feveron a quick blast in MAME there. Fun game. One I only dallied with as you do when you have a folder full of ROMS.

:)

Still making a meal of the level 3 boss in Gekirindan and getting to level 4 with only 1 life. Not really putting too much focussed play in though. And the spectre of Layer Section is still hanging over me.....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @hylian_elf and his purchase has me grabbing a few ROMs I had missing.....Feveron and original DonPachi.

DonPachi is a cracking game too. It would be a great intro to shmupping actually.  Managed to get to level 4 on 1 credit - I take quite a bit of hope from that as my basic skills must be improving to be able to do that.

Loving Feveron's general bonkers feel and that soundtrack - can only imagine how great it sounds with the M2 treatment on a console.
  • I remember Dangun Feveron's boss music being a cracker from back when I played it on mame about, oh fuck 17 years go. Time, fucking hell.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a bit trickier than the usual Cave game which usually don't really bare their teeth until level 3....took me a few attempts to get to level 3 on 1 credit. It's almost Ketsui level tough at the beginning for casual play.

The scoring seems to be a bit different too - I'm not appearing on the score tables which you usually get to do with Cave games without too much trouble - I presume it's to do with the pickups.  I like the piano chord sound when you take out certain enemies (at least I think that's what causes that sound).

It's really fast paced - as fast as DDP's later levels - which isn't what I'm used to from the start of a game - but it's great for a rush. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some frowns in the shmup community with the new Deathsmiles ports for Steam, Switch and PS.

Think I'll be hanging onto my 360 version.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Crimzon Clover World Explosion on Steam is the updated original Ignition. A lot tougher. A lot more fun. Cheaper if you already have World Ignition. This is the Switch game now available on PC.

Went back to Layer Section totally cold after 2, maybe 3 months? Wasn't as painful as I thought. Got to level 5 (I normally get to 6) and really should have got to 6.

I'm fluttering around between too many games and not concentrating but I'm enjoying myself. But I'm overdue another 1CC.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Only played the first level of Sine Mora EX on Switch, but it's worth 99p and a bit more so far. I've not played any shmup this philosophical, and I don't think I've played any game (or read any book or watched any movie etc.) that has talked about rape in such a hauntingly poetical way.

And it's a game about moving left to right and shooting things. Are games art? Nob off, course they are.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't played Sine Mora. It looks very pretty but it got too many lukewarm reviews. At 99p though.....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!