• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    zonipoi wrote:

That looks very nice. Depends on how good it performs of course.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The TATE mini put through its paces here.

I can't see anyone seriously playing on that screen in the unit.Still a nice item though.  Going by this the HDMI hookup to a monitor doesn't offer rotate/TATE mode. That's a big frown from me if that is the case.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I read TATE mini and thought it was a small art gallery or something, then I remembered where I was.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
  • Saw a beautiful LG rotating monitor advertised on Facebook, but no. I won’t make much use out of it and TV is big enough that even with the fat borders on each side, main section is big enough when I sit close enough.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    And I know this is like popping into a films forum and saying "Hey, the Godfather films are rather good, aren't they?", but I've really been sucked into Gradius and Gradius II on my PC Engine mini recently.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gradius 1 and 2 are so old we forgot how good they are. I have the Saturn versions of them.  Gradius 1 looks clunky now but plays great - really sucks you in. First time I played it was in the arcade. Played a lot of the NES port but I stay with the Saturn for it now.  When I went back to it on Saturn I was really surprised how well they had aged and how balanced they were - they don't suffer as much from "1 death and it's over syndrome" because of loss of powerups.

Gradius 2 is a big step up in the graphics dept.

I imagine much of the experience is retained on PCE. However I don't think the Parodius games on PCE feel anywhere near as good even though it's basically a Gradius reskin. Just seemed to be a step too far. The SNES ports of Parodius are splendid albeit with too much slowdown.

G3 & 4 are soulless coin grabbing shells of the original game. I have them on J-PS2 for collecting purposes more than anything. They are crushingly tough. It took G5 to bring it back to being enjoyable.

There's Gaiden on PS1 but I haven't played much of it. It looks pretty much to be the best of the lot.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I was really surprised how well they had aged and how balanced they were - they don't suffer as much from "1 death and it's over syndrome" because of loss of powerups.

I was about to argue this, but I just beat the first boss in Gradius II for the first time after having died and only having the missiles, so yeah, you're absolutely right.

davyK wrote:
    Gradius 2 is a big step up in the graphics dept. I imagine much of the experience is retained on PCE.

It really takes advantage of being on the Super CD-ROM2 format, over the original which is on HuCard.
    davyK wrote:
    However I don't think the Parodius games on PCE feel anywhere near as good even though it's basically a Gradius reskin. Just seemed to be a step too far. The SNES ports of Parodius are splendid albeit with too much slowdown.

I've really enjoyed Parodius on my mini, but that might be just because you can play as a anthropomorphised PC Engine that fires CDs and has HuCards as shields. It could literally be the worst game in the world and I'd probably still love it, just for that. The PCE version is pretty slowdown free, but in Stage 7 it crawls along at points - but there's got to be a high double-digit number of sprites on the screen, so it's still pretty impressive.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    In other news, I'm glad you said "slowdown" instead of "lag". Every gamer on YouTube and Twitch uses 'lag' any time a game has framerate issues, and I could write a thousand word essay for the Things that annoy you thread.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Going by this the HDMI hookup to a monitor doesn't offer rotate/TATE mode.

I did some digging around re: the TATE mini, and found this. Taito are getting involved in the mini console market, and theirs is a tiny arcade cab a la the Astro City mini and Neo Geo mini, but this one features a rotatable screen.

TAITO-EGRET-II-Mini-Consoles-Coming-to-the-West.jpg

TAITO-EGRET-II.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.

Re Gradius and death/powerup syndrome. It still has some issues later on but the rank adjusts far better than in later games like and 4. 5 fixed it by leaving your options on screen to pickup after a life loss.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    That'd be nice. It's heart-breaking when I have three options following me around and lose them all to a stray bullet.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    G5 will make you its bitch though. Its mentally tough. Ive never really dug deep into it but its superb. Still ps2 only sadly.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    G5 will make you its bitch though.

Like Ikaruga did. Speaking of shmups that make me their bitch, I need to retry Sine Mora EX again. I got to the giant scrap robot boss and cannot for the life of me get through it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    I've really enjoyed Parodius on my mini, but that might be just because you can play as a anthropomorphised PC Engine that fires CDs and has HuCards as shields. It could literally be the worst game in the world and I'd probably still love it, just for that. The PCE version is pretty slowdown free, but in Stage 7 it crawls along at points - but there's got to be a high double-digit number of sprites on the screen, so it's still pretty impressive.

The PCEngine is a playable ship in Star Parodier as well....another reason that game is superb. I love the caravan/timed score attack mode too. Splendid stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a crack at Mushihimesma this evening. Tried the Maniac mode for a laugh. I found it hugely enjoyable. There are more bullets but they aren't quite as fast which is possibly a better match for me.

After a couple of credits, I tried it in Novice and I got to the final boss first try.....if I hadn't shit the bed in level 4 which cleaned out my lives I'd have got the Novice Maniac 1CC. Interesting.

I'll resume Original mode on Arcade though - need to keep that up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Physical copy of G-Darius for Switch incoming. Another distraction from getting a 1CC done.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I found a store in Taipei that had a few copies of a Darius double pack in a massive (Metroid Dread special edition size) package. Was vaguely tempted.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Darius has been given the royal treatment lately. It got the 2 compilations from M2 - the arcade collection and the console collections both for PS4 and Switch. 

There's also the new Darius game (Burst/Chronicles/ex) which got a double widescreen cabinet in the arcade - it has now got ports to PS4 and Switch. There's the G Darius port too......originally a PS1 game and was the first in the series to use polygons.

Darius has also recently go re-released for Megadrive on cartridge. Ports tended to suffer because of the 2 and 3 screen cabinets but some ports like the MD one are a re-imagining for 4:3 screens.

I'm not sure where all the recent love has come from. It was always been a mid tier game with the exception of Darius Gaiden which is the best in the series and a true classic. Perhaps the interest has been generated from the new arcade game which is always a big deal in shmup circles.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I think I tried Darius Gaiden via Official PlayStation Magazine demo disk. Probably my entire experience with the series.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That would have been G Darius. Think Gaiden only appeared on Saturn.

Edit: I'm wrong..it got a PS port too.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It probably was G Darius though, that rings more of a bell.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Confirming G Darius on Switch is marvellous. You can play with original graphics or slightly touched up HD.  I'm glad they haven't overdone the HD mode as there is a charm in these big early textured polygons flying about the screen.

There's some nice gameplay elements like the alpha beam and capturing mini-bosses to try. Once you capture a mini boss you can use its special attacks using a SF2 fireball move!!!  :)  How the hell I will manage that while dodging bullets is anyone's guess! I've only managed to capture minor enemies thus far.... :)   With its trademark multiple routes to enjoy there's plenty to look forward to with this.  Only £24 from Amazon.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'll keep an eye out. The PCE mini has awakened something in me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    G Darius is on one of the Taito Legends discs for PS2 but it runs way too fast unfortunately.  But if you have that it will let you get an idea of the game.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I've never actually owned a PS2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A real workhorse of a console. Genuinely something for everyone on it. I got one for RType Final and Gradius V but built a rather nice library of games for it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    As much as it pains me to say, yeah. I did play a few games on a PS2 back in t' day; FFXII on my brother's system, and R Type Final on a mate's at uni. I was mildly disappointed to see R Type Final 2 on the Switch eShop, as I promised another mate that the original was going to stay true to its name!

A local model shop had one of these and I nearly caved. No guarantee I won't cave in the near future.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RType Final 2 is an indie effort and an ill-judged one at that. Response has been lukewarm.
  • So yeah, Ketsui Deathtiny is as amazing as expected. Have it and played it on 360, but the PS4 version is a great package.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!