Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Nope. I did too and liked it.

Space Giraffe high five!
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • o/
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    \o

Achoo
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Any high scores?  I'm still on the old 360. I think I see @hylian_elf's scores on some games - can't remember now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Hah you’ll probably beat my score easily. I really didn’t play it that much.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nothing noteworthy. I enjoyed the game, but I have to admit I wasn't much cop at it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Hah you’ll probably beat my score easily. I really didn’t play it that much.

Think I remember seeing your Futari scores too.  Jesus what a game that is.
  • Best game. I think I only ever managed stage 3 boss and around 30m on arcade 1.5. Got decent score on Ultra Arrange. I love arrange modes.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Japanese geezer puts the Egret II mini through it's paces. Might be of interest to folks, what with the rotating screen.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The marquee lights up. :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    They know what the fans like.

I'm intrigued by the range of controllers that you can get for it, one looks like a roller ball. Missile Command?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Missile Command is an Atari game. Cant think of any Taito games that would suit it but they have a vast range of games. They were quite experimental in the arcades.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Atari, true. I can't think what it'd be, then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They had some paddle games - Arkanoid, Cameltry are two I can think of that might be a match. There are one or two others on the Taito Memories/Legends compilations that would benefit from it.

It's a lovely looking unit. The build quality looks great and I love the way the game adjusts automatically when you rotate the display.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It's a lovely looking unit.

I'm going to keep an eye out for one here. If it's not too expensive I might treat myself.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    More on the trackball controller for the Egret II mini.

tl;dw - 1) It's chuffing enormous. Halfway between a pad and an arcade stick. 2) Looks like it comes with a selection of applicable games on SD card, which is a good idea. 3) It seems the DS had something similar, which I'd never seen before.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A paddle too. It's the first mini I've been tempted by.

That guy in the video has clearly never used a paddle control. :) You don't hold it side on like that - you grip from the top with thumb and 3 fingers.

That analogue control alone would compel me to buy. That controller will command high prices...

Some hints at prices here - but scalpers like strictly limited seem to be getting in the way.
    https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/19/taito-egret-ii-mini-console-is-166-in-europe-and-its-well-worth-it-15949190/

The first one is available via Amazon so hopeful that it can be obtained that way without useless bits of cardboard added for £50.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    That guy in the video has clearly never used a paddle control.

I think he spends more time buying hardware than he does playing games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some nice runs on show over the weekend at shmup slam 5.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mushi runs getting more consistent. Getting to level 4 now more often than not. Enjoying it. My best run was to the level 4 boss but I haven't got near that since so it was a bit of fluke. Level 4 mid boss 2nd phase has a really tough pattern.

Also toying with Maniac mode from time to time and I'm about 2 levels behind Normal which is probably about right but I don't want to mess my muscle memory up too much by playing different modes of the same game too often.

Shmup Slam 5 has an Ultra mode run which has the TLB at the end. So I suppose playing Ultra is like a substitute for the 2nd loop in other games. Ultra mode is ludicrous though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I watched the beginning of that video, seems interesting. 

I'm getting better at Gradius II, um, too. Can get to the second boss usually, and if I haven't lost all my power ups, can often best him.
  • Vulcan Venture is my favourite Gradius game.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Third boss down in Gradius II. Fourth stage introduced the little grabby bastard that steals your options.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Still tilting at Mushi, still level 4 runs. Silly mistakes, there are no real barriers getting to level 4 with all lives apart from implementation errors. Doing pretty well at level 4 when I do get there but it's usually with only 1 life.  But I'm not playing regularly enough - I need to up that a bit.

Booted up the sequel - Futari - out of interest for the first time in an age for comparison. I was surprised how good I was at it. Second half of level 3 is still an insane spike but it's nowhere near as terrifying as it was for me.  Interesting and gratifying to know I am a better player now than I was several years ago. In my mid fifties - hope for all.  :)    Of course I've got my shmup 360 hooked up to a rotated CRT with RGB SCART and I can sit closer - that is helping too. Previously I was playing on a big panel and sitting on the sofa several feet back which really isn't appropriate for the genre - so that will be helping too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some level 4 practice from me. Painful.

• Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I'm finished.

maxresdefault.jpg

Started working on Ketsui's Ura loop at the start of lockdown, so just over two years ago, and now it's done. I am Plainview's pyrrhic victory. Played other stuff in that time but not a huge amount, it's mostly been Ket.

It's difficult. Got a lot easier once I upgraded my TV from a 14-year-old 32" LG to a 55" Samsung QLED. Pretty sure it's not just coincidence that I was suddenly no-miss, no-bombing the first loop much more often. Had a few runs to the TLB recently so knew it was happening. Feels good.

• Wow!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dubs wrote:
    It's difficult
    Understatement of the year.

So you have to no miss no bomb the 1st loop (and score >150m) of probably Cave's toughest game - and then beat the 2nd loop and TLB on 1 credit?

@Dubs - this is real top tier stuff you are doing. I am in awe.

Early to ask but have you another goal or are you thinking about Ketsui scoring?

Have you played DFK or DFK BL?   DFK has an Ura loop too which throws DDP bosses at you instead of mid level bosses.

DOJ white label is notorious - it takes all your extra lives off you at the start of the 2nd loop!  BL is considered a far more sensible proposition.

DFK BL Arrange merges Ketsui and DFK - you might want to look at that if you haven't had a bellyfull  !!!!

Or maybe Mushi or Futari? You would eat up Original mode but there's maniac and Ultra modes which are more your level. The Ultra mode in Mushi and Futari have TLBs and are really stand in for 2nd loops (Mushi and Futari do not loop).
    Futari BL has the infamous God mode......
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just watched that @Dubs. Hell.

Even on the 1st loop where you look quite comfortable for most of the time that big ship section in level 3 before the 1up with the blue & pink bullets looks so tight and the dance with the level 4 boss is a bit of a crowd pleaser. It must be so hard to not bomb when every instinct tells you to!!  :)

I laughed when I saw how aggressive you were even in level 2 of the 2nd loop!!!  And then when the resources started to peel away. Levels 4 and 5 are murderous - you had a great 2-5 boss fight giving you a chance - but 3 lives against a Cave TLB is an ask - it looked comfortable when you had the TLB to half health but then it got so tight - how you held your nerve right at the end I will never know!!!

Congrats. I tip my hat to you. Even doing a standard 2-ALL on this game (any Cave game) is a major achievement. But the Ura loop is another level again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!