Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    @Dubs

Nice little series of jinks at 40:40. Final boss patterns are mad but you have great economy of movement there.

Ah, the tank rush? I would usually bomb there but I have about a 75% success rate on that no-bomb route. Learned it early on from Pazzy's annotated run on YouTube. Rode that life for a lot longer than I expected, partly because my nerves have settled since getting that first Ura clear.

Cleared Mushi Original on Steam yesterday, I'll see how I get on with Maniac.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ludicrous.......Dubs clears a game I've been playing for months!!!!   :)

Maniac is fun. I can get to level 3 without any real practice mainly because the routes are pretty much the same as Original though there are some more enemies. Level 3 is where it starts to deviate due to the weight of numbers.  

For players of your level @Dubs , I'd hazard a guess that Maniac is actually the main mode with Ultra being a stand in for the 2nd loop (I think Ultra is an unlockable on the original PCB). Ultra has a TLB.

I'd love to get Original out of the way and crack on with Maniac. I just can't put a performance together in one run!!  :)   Nerves play a huge part in it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Disheartened tonight. Really banging my head against the wall with this bloody game. Feels like I'm going backwards. Just keep making really stupid mistakes one after the other.

Leaving it for tonight in case I interface my fist with the screen.  Sigh.   Think I'll leave it for a day and come back to it on Thursday. My birthday. Maybe I'll be inspired!!  Going for an Indian that evening though so maybe that won't be a great idea.

I find my mind wandering as I play which is when the screwups happen. Find it hard to concentrate sometimes. I couldn't ever see me streaming as I play - no way I could talk and play. Remembering to breathe is challenging enough!

You need to get all Zen and stay calm and not worry about losing a life. I get impatient to get the clear (esp when bloody @Dubs breezes in with his elite skills and KOs the game toute suite!!). :)
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    It can get tough to find that balance. You need a certain amount of detachment to quell the nerves and stop yourself overthinking but you obviously need to be focused at the same time. The nerves get worse the longer you spend chasing the same goal, I found. A break can help, as can a few sessions of segmented practice, avoiding full runs. With Ketsui, I wouldn't go for a full run if I was tired or short on time, it's just not going to happen under those conditions so why put yourself through it? Much better to just chill and grind a section for a while. The aim isn't to clear the game, the aim is to get better at the game.

Or just go and grind Ura loop for two years then give it another bash. At least get the 1-Up! Seems mad to ignore it. I just bombed for it, even two bombs is worth it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - using practice mode is a good way of ending a session without feeling like a failure!  :)

1 loop games have the advantage of being relatively short. A 2 loop game is such an intimidating thought.

Heh. After Ketsui Ura it will be hard to find something to test you.  

You might like DFK which has some mad challenges. It has an Ura branch on the 1st level - more of an alternative path with DDP bosses added to it etc.

I don't think there's a shmup with more content than that one.  Even the ships and styles offer a pile of variety never mind the different modes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Couldn't leave it!  Followed Dubs' advice and did some level 5 caning. Did some final boss practice too.  Just the final pattern of the boss to figure out without resorting to bombing. I'm trying to get a last life with 1 bomb pattern down so I can be ready should a clinch opportunity present itself.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Dubs wrote:
    Cleared Mushi Original on Steam yesterday, I'll see how I get on with Maniac.

Got on pretty well!

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You rascal!!!! It seems only Ultra will give you a real test!

Marvellous stuff. That Ketsui Ura drive has really give you super powers (if you didn't already have em) - especially with respect to Cave games as they tend to have a certain "feel". 

As I said earlier Maniac only really kicks in at level 3 which is almost a Cave standard (apart from Ketsui and SDOJ). More bullets but they don't move as fast as in original.

Are you enjoying it?  I love the look of the game. The patterns and enemy waves have a really nice feel to them.

I don't think Arrange and 1.5 will test you as they feel easier and are more score attack games. Could be wrong though. 

See you are using S-Power - that your recommendation? I'm playing on the default. I can't handle the faster ship movement. I see you switched to W-power in level 4. That deliberate?

Myself? Took your advice and have been practicing levels 4 and 5. Have had a few 1 credit runs to the latter half of level 5 and feeling better about it now. Have a pattern for the 1UP too but I want to practice it so I don't have to bomb - although as you say I should probably just bomb and grab it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just watched it. Bravo. That last boss fight. Balls of steel.

:)
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Yeah I like it apart from Stage 3, that gets a bit monotonous. Maniac has some really nice patterns, it doesn't feel that much harder than Original but it feels a lot more engaging to play.
    Not sure I like it enough to grind out Ultra but I'll give it a go over the coming weeks. Might try Futari Maniac if I can deal with the 360 dpad.

I deliberately pick W-Power as default, then switch to S because I find that better for the Stage 2 and 3 bosses, them being quite slim guys. Also found it easier to kill the bullet-cancelling sandworm things in Stage 2 with S. I'd usually switch to W for Stage 4 onwards if I hadn't died already.
    Having S also suppresses my urge to try and point-blank enemies for maximum damage, like I find myself trying to do with W and dying in silly ways on the first two stages.

Just bomb! It's a net gain even if you use 3 bombs to get the 1-Up as you get the 3 bombs back plus the extra life.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Level 3 is a very learn-by-rote level. It's kind of a set piece like the giant ship level in RType. That type of level tends not to age well.

I still find it oddly satisfying and there are one or two places you can freestyle (the section just before the final bit where you can get the 1UP), but I can see why you would find it monotonous.  Level 4 is probably my favourite. The first half is auto-routed for me but the 2nd half with the dragonflies has lots of potential for different approaches (I just adopt the cheapest way I can - sitting bottom right works for me after the first two which I use to get 2 large cancels).

You can milk the trees for gems in stage 2 by point blanking them when they are not firing but you need to have a new route for that so I doubt I'll ever get into it. I did it for a while in a couple of places where it's easier to set up (just before the mid boss and the actual boss) but as I'm not playing for score I tried not to get tempted into doing it as level 2 is pretty much automatic for me now.

I'm not a fan of boss fights. I tend not to enjoy them and it's usually where I screw up. I like the mid boss fights of levels 4 and 5 though.

I should have had this game 1CCed long ago - I know what to do to get it, I'm just so prone to making stupid mistakes. That's what separates scrub level players like me from the better ones I suppose. My biggest issue is not looking in the right place when in a tight space. I know where I should look but in the heat of a run I panic!  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some more level 5 runs. Doing the 1UP on level 3 though I still screw up on the level 3 boss from time to time. And if I bomb > 1 getting the 1UP I'm often facing it with no bombs.  :)   C'est la vie.   It's a chore practicing the 1UP because I have to do all of level 3 in practice - no mid boss to start from.

Getting better at the 2nd half of level 5. Only one place where I need to bomb.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More Level 5 runs. I'm going to keep on plugging away. I started to lose a life at the level 2 boss - so I went back to basics with it and practiced it some more. I was getting too aggressive and slipping up. Have got the level 3 1up down with 1 or 2 bombs so I'll stick with that.

Took a bit of a break and tried version 1.5  (which was a Matsuri festival special version - think the 360 port got this too).  Got to level 5 first try on Original but subsequent runs weren't as good - put it down to beginner's luck. It throws more enemies and bullets at you but there's more slowdown which makes it feel manageable. There's also a MAX mode which ups your firepower and the enemy firepower so I'm not sure if it's considered more difficult. The game tracks high scores separately for MAX mode.

Messed about with Arrange mode too. Got to level 4 of Original on that first go. You really need to know the levels in this mode because there's a large gem counter on the screen that can obscure what is actually going on!!!  :)   Bonkers.   Even I got a score > 1 billion. :)

This game rivals the mighty DDP-Resurrection for content.

Back to Normal though - need to get this bloody 1CC done.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Really, really disheartened tonight. Consistently hitting level 5 and getting past the mid boss often but just without enough resources to get through.

Starting to lose lives in the level 3 boss. Have been losing 2 lives now regularly. That simply isn't good enough - I need to be hitting level 4 with no misses , or at most 1 hit (which is negated by the 1up in level 3) if I am to have a chance because of the stupid mistakes I keep making.

Just spent a practice session grinding the level 3 boss and getting nowhere. My nerve has just gone on it. There is one pattern in particular that's killing me and bombing isn't enough to get through it. I started getting a pattern to get me through but this is turning into a real mental block. Think I need to leave this for a couple of days.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In the office today and I know I'm going back to this when I get home.

Cruel mistress.

Might try a different shot type as Dubs used.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I can confirm "do what Dubs does" is good advice in any game.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Just dodge the bullets, Davy! Actual advice would be to take a break and come back with a clear head.

Mushi's TLB looked stupid so I've been messing with Futari Maniac mode instead. Seems doable, despite the awful 360 dpad, really need a route on Stage 5 though. Not worrying too much about score but it's always good fun getting big cancels and filling the screen with gold.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Yeah - was back at it this evening and things weren't so bad. Just back to silly mistakes without one particular barrier. I have done everything in isolation just need a run which will take me to keep at it -  but I'm going to take 2 days off.   Tried the different shot types and my routes are so hard wired it wasn't a good idea - but I think I'll try swapping to the focussed shot type at the 4 and 5 bosses if I can wrangle that.

Aye - that Ultra TLB just looks ridiculous and I'm not sure grinding that pattern would be worth the reward given the other modes available. v1.5 Maniac max mode might be worth a look.  Futari's Ultra looks stupid too and I think the the TLB regenerates in it.....

Futari is what got me into bullet hell so I've a soft spot for it even though I haven't 1CCed Got to lvl 4 mid boss with Normal Reco but Abnormal Palm is supposed to be the easier clear - but I never played it properly - up close to the screen etc. With my current setup I'll be able to do that. I might go for the Original clear after I get Mushi Original done.

I find the 360 pad not as bad as many feel but I use a 360 stick for Steam and 360 shmups. The Hori Ex fight stick is cheap and I find it pretty good (though you may feel otherwise).  Doesn't Gus play Futari with the pad? Mental.

Level 5 of Futari looks exhausting - it seems to be such a long haul.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't go back to a shmup with a hangover!!  :)

Had a better session on Sunday. Still just silly mistakes preventing me from getting this. Just need to grind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Broke my routine and spent the last 2 days getting my timing back. It's crazy how little it takes for me to be off route. Sigh. Getting it back - but - I'm off to Crete on Monday for a week.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So back to Mushi after >1 week. And first 2 runs were to level 5. Feeling calm etc. I often find that to be the case with shmups but I really didn't think it would apply to this one.

Tried the next day and not as good but just as relaxed. I seem to see the bullets more. Odd.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This genre..

Started today's session with 3 restarts, in level 1.

Then got deep into level 5 with my next run. If it hadn't been for an idiotic life loss in level 4 I reckon the 1CC was on.

This genre.
  • No room for mistakes!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not half. Lost a life needlessly on the level 5 mid-boss that killed the run off completely. Left me with one life - got to the final section right before the final boss that requires a bomb (for me) and I was bombless ( I had wasted bombs in the 2nd half of the level too). Game over.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hi de Ho...   Getting to level 5 with 3 lives now sometimes - I can't expect to be better placed that that - I can "do" level 5 but I just keep fucking it up.

Watching a stream by Icarus (shump forum guy) and it put me onto this little delight. Zakesta is a free download and has really high production values.  Is an Aleste tribute but it starts off like Star Force. The weapons feel overpowered but it's fun. Wonderful, chunky graphics.

zakesta.png
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Could've fallen out of a time warp from the 8-bit era.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Also did a cheeky Steam purchase after reading more Touhou love/hate.

Got the first Steam release - Hidden Star in Four Seasons. Love the names. Seems rather nice.  Feels more like a Cave game played in Maniac mode or a Castle Shikigami game.   But have shelved it until I get Mushi done.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Discovered a couple of gems on Namco Museum Collection 2 on the Evercade.

Dragon Spirit is basically Xevious, but with a fantasy re-skin. The dragon you're riding on can even grow extra heads to spit multiple fireballs.

Phelios takes Gradius and slaps on a dollop of Greek myth - the first boss is Medusa. The power up system is lifted pretty much wholesale from Gradius, with speed increases and an Option (yes, they even copied the name) or two that you can have aid you and Pegasus in your quest to (natch) save the Princess. For added bonus points, R-Type's charge shot is in there, too.

I think Phelios would have had the shit memed out of it if the internet existed back when it was released: when the Princess asks you to hurry, the game prompts you to "press button if hurrying", which has to be up there with "press F to pay respects".
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dragon Spirit is a good 'un. A coin eater from what I remember.  :)

Phelios is a new one on me though  Must check it out.

Chilled out Playing a bit of Salamander using the Saturn Deluxe pack last night as I was too tired to tackle Mushi. Really nice series of games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Running out of energy and losing interest in getting this damn 1CC. Haven't gone near it in a week now.

Getting to the last level but just can't put a performance together.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!