The acoustic music discussion thread
  • Love the top one.  Sounds like an Elevators/The Tornadoes mash-up. 

I've decided what to focus on with my next big acoustic push.  I stumbled on an artist called Chris Knight during some early-hours Youtube hopping recently (it may have been the bit at the bottom of the page on Amazon - people who bought this also bought these - that made me look him up, I forget).  Three weeks later I now own most of his catalogue, and I'm currently riding a huge wave of infatuation, soaking up a minimum of four of his records per day, with the albums Trailer Tapes and Trailer Tapes 2 emerging as particular favourites early on (which are fully acoustic, and basically two sets of demos).  It's modern day Nebraska era Springsteen for me - every song is a story.  He's got a great voice but not a great singing voice (in interviews he's pretty much a real-life Bad Blake), and his guitar playing is adept/functional, so it's an odd one to aim for perhaps, but if I can play ten of his songs by the end of the year I'll be a happy man.  Its not an obsession I'll be moving on from any time soon.

• Been all over Blind Boy Fuller these last couple of weeks, defo my current fave bloowsmun - this been in my head all week:

Decent Rory Gallagher version of the same tune:

• I don't know whether anyone has been following the beef between Sun Kil Moon and The War on Drugs but the guy from Sun Kil Moon has written a song about it.

http://www.stereogum.com/1710145/sun-kil-moon-war-on-drugs-suck-my-cock/mp3s/

It's quite amusing but does give a very good taste of the music on his last albumBenji which I guarantee will figure in everybodies AotY lists come December.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Haven't been following it, will check the link later, but keep meaning to buy the recent solo album from the Sun Kil Moon guy after hearing a track on an covermounted cd.  Very nearly spent a lot of money on all their albums after reading reams of gushing praise and checking stuff out on Youtube, but didn't take the plunge.  The War on Drugs album hasn't grabbed me yet, but it's not bad.
  • https://soundcloud.com/hardlineent/donald-spence-late-shift

I just bought this guys album...postage cost more than the album itself but fuck it, that's what birthday moneys for, right? I know that punk rock singer turned acoustic is such a cliché but I still love this an ungodly amount.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mississippi John Hurt - incredible self taught finger picker. A great Sugar Man story too, forgotten and lost for 40 years until being found a brought to a new audience just shortly before his death. His 1928 recordings are an amazing show of folk blues fingerpicking.

• Great tune. Love any old crackly blues from around the 20s. I'm entirely self taught myself (if we're not counting the occasional youtube vid or a mate scrawling some chords on an envelope for me on day 1), and I have a love/hate relationship with it: I love having my own style, but realise that I'm probably doing a good amount of things 'wrong', or at least they could be done better.

Fuck that though, I got chastised in a spanish guitar shop on Leicester Sq once for 'holding my hand wrong'. Dick head.

Anyway, my playing's getting better atm, I feel - hit a plateau a while back but started reaching some new heights with general syncopation. Must post some more stuff here at some point, but it's still not great.

Still at work atm, long day, just me and one other person in the office, some nice blues playing, beers in the fridge, fresh pack of baccy. Good times.

Anyway, I remembered how much I like this tune, not acoustic, but a good'un nonetheless:

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Been like a good few months and this guy is still getting rotated, so here's a bit of Sam Russo. Getting all the good support slots recently. Expect big things next year

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Have you seen him live cocko? He's v. good. Also very tall, blocked my fucking view when he came off stage to watch the next act.
  • Woo, someone uploaded some new Roky I ain't heard. I mean, heard the song before ofc, but here's a sweet slidey version:

Just started listening to the man again after almost a year. Still does it for me.
  • Not strictly acoustic but I feel more at home in this thread than the main music one - had this circulating in my head for the last 3 days after someone introduced me to it. Great to pick along to with a 3rd fret capo, best lady at your side:

Combine with some Buddy for max-romance:

Yeah in a proper 50s croon mood at the moment. A little relaxation in a storm of work chaos.
  • Wife walked down the aisle to the second song, and considered using Patsy as our daughter's middle name. I'm keeping her away from you.
  • Haha, yeah I thought you'd appreciate those - read your 'dad' post (was you I think) saying that yer ol' man's a big Buddy fan, figured you'd be the same.

Got to say I've really got into Buddy over the last couple of years, dude's just full of hits and feels. May not have ever given him a fair listen were it not for Roky ofc - kinda cringe at the 'buddy on acid' tag he gets but I guess it's somewhat fitting, for a lot of his solo work anyway.
  • Was me, yeah.  The old man loves him, I'm glad I had no choice growing up.  Name another recording artist who produced as much gold at such a tender age in such a short space of time and I'd have to agree to disagree.  Dylan was a touch older than Holly was when he died when Freewheelin' was released, iirc.  Holly wrote and recorded so many classic tracks by the age of 22 I'm surprised he's not been accused of selling his soul. 

My favourite version of my favourite Holly song, performed here without The Crickets in the style of the original Peggy Sue:

The covers album Rave On Buddy Holly has the usual mixture of gems and disasters.  McCartney's version of It's So Easy has to be heard to be believed, but Cee-Lo's (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care sounds like it was written for him.  I think I've mentioned this before.  I've definitely mentioned that I've got an awful memory.
  • Ah man, the apartment tapes are incredible, just love everything on there. His stuff with the Crickets is aces of course but there's just something about him on his jacks in an apartment with a guitar and a tape recorder.

Have got a big love for Dearest & Love is Strange (both identical chords, as it happens - capo 1st for LiS, 4th for Dearest... same chords as You're the One actually...anyway). Don't think he wrote either, Bo Diddly to thank for LiS, not sure about Dearest, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, they're such obvious picks that I'm going for another, but I could literally pick any track from that album and it'd be gold:

Gonna check that McCartney cover out now...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    An old friend came up on random play earlier. Then noticed he's doing a few new bits, fuck it sharing him 

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dunno if this is even up your folk's street, what with all your old-y music, but I adore Malkmus and I always come back to this set he did 

I find my guitar playing has properly stagnated of late. I'm sure not being able to sing is a large part of the issue, I can play along fairly competently to the stuff above (some of it has weird tunings and solo stuff I can't be jazzed with though) but it's pretty hollow when you play it and sound like a dying cat.
  • I was sent a few data cds around a decade ago from a guy who lived in Kansas that I 'met' on a music forum.  It was so chock-a-block with stuff I became massively keen on that I didn't get time to give the Malkmus album repeated listens.  He was particularly keen on me giving him a fair go, but that was a bit of a golden period for American indie bands (he picked the assorted albums exceptionally well), so my head was turned.  There was an album by a band called The Unicorns on there that I lost when my old mp3 player crashed.  I'll probably pick it up again.
  • Unicorns are pretty good, I am a fan.

Malks is, well, I reckon he's a bonafide genius. He carries himself in a way I just can't help but love. I know Pavement are super important, and I do love them, but his stuff with The Jicks is just far superior to me (that includes his "solo" albums) as he has such a tighter grasp on the output. I could listen to Mirror Traffic for weeks and not get bored, it struts on the edge of tightly organised and utterly shambolic which is something I can't get enough of.
  • Gave my guitar an mot yesterday at the local shop (folkies, kilburn). The guy doing it was some kinda French/spanish/Mediterranean so I felt safe handing over my Portuguese flamenco guitar for some new strings, a fret wipe/polish and a heightening of tension around the first fret.

I'm pleased to say I'm totally enamoured with the work he's done. The sound is crisp like I've never known it, and aside from new string retuning, which can't be helped, it's been the best £30 I've spent that hasn't got me high.

When I arrived to pick her up, Jose/Manuel/Pierre was quite complimentary, saying that "this guitar, she 'as 'ow you say, potential", and asked me how long I'd had it. "'bout 6 years, got it from that Spanish guitar shop down leicster square" I says. "ah yes, I see, I see. Good guitar. I think maybe just another 5 maybe 10 years until the wood 'as, how you say, aged enough for the sound and resonance to mature, then she will be a beautiful guitar".

Fuck. Potentially 10 more years before it reaches expectation.

Anyway, a highlight of the weekend.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Don't look at it as waiting ten years for it to good, but hell you're enjoying it now and just how much more can it grow

Anyone here play harmonica, I have urges. Just can't make my mind up as to which to get. I know that being as they're all around £30-40 it doesn't really matter as I should treat it as disposable, but still it's £30-40 I won't be spending on beer, so I want to get it right. Thinking about Hohner Special 20, Seydel Session Steel and Suzuki Manji

If anyone who plays can give an opinion or even throw something else into the mix I'll be very happy, or very confused
  • Oh absolutely, I've been playing the crap out of it for near the last 2 year's now, coinciding with a sharp drop in vidjagaming (I'd played a lot before then too, but it wasn't a focus). I'm very much enjoying every second with the thing.

As for harps (harmonicas), I've two, one an E and the other an A. I didn't realise at first that for crossharp, I.e. blues harmonica, you don't buy the key that you're in, you buy the middle chord (i have no technical training so excuse the terminology). That being, I bought an E harmonica for blues in E, whereas I should've bought an A (E A D). Anyway, all good regardless, now I've two.

I can do a very basic blues thing on them but nothing of note really. My bro has both of them atm. The last one I got (the A) was around the £30/35 park, a Honer, or whatever it is, I think. Best thing I can say is decide what kinda thing you want to do with it, cross-harp or more traditional, sea shanty stuff (fucking love sea shanties). You can no doubt do both on the same harp, but for blues you should check what kinda key you want to play in. Once decided, get harp, find blues backing track on YouTube, then jam away. It's just suck - blow - suck and bend on the 4th hole. Riff and play around with that all day.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Don't look at it as waiting ten years for it to good, but hell you're enjoying it now and just how much more can it grow Anyone here play harmonica, I have urges. Just can't make my mind up as to which to get. I know that being as they're all around £30-40 it doesn't really matter as I should treat it as disposable, but still it's £30-40 I won't be spending on beer, so I want to get it right. Thinking about Hohner Special 20, Seydel Session Steel and Suzuki Manji If anyone who plays can give an opinion or even throw something else into the mix I'll be very happy, or very confused

My brother in law plays harmonica, I'll ask him for recommendations if you like.
  • I've got harmonicas in C, D and G.  I've learnt bits and pieces I wanted to play from here.

Nothing to write home about, but I do play a mean version of the intro and harp solo from Springsteen's The River.  Neil Young's Heart of Gold is a great one to make you feel like you're sounding good.  Same goes for Dirty Old Town.

Obviously I bought myself a neck brace thingy, even though I struggle to play guitar or harmonica separately.
  • From the brother in law:

"I don't know about the Seydel, the Suzukis are meant to be amazing, but made out of wood, or resin meant to be like wood, which is more traditional, but can be rough on your mouth,and take a bit more pressure to play low notes well. Although when he gets to bending notes it may be easier with one. For a beginner, I'd probably go for a Special 20, the plastic is very smooth, although my personal favourite is a Lee Oskar, which is a similar price to the Special 20."

I don't know if any of that helps.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just play Bob Dylan songs, then it doesn't matter what notes you hit.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Cheers guys, just while I'm travelling light and my desk and guitar are still up north, I figure it's a simple way to keep me almost musical, cheap light inexpensive and easy enough to join in at any open mic nights

I was leaning towards to the Suzuki, the Seydel sounded maybe a little too bright, but will now go and listen to some Lee Oskars as well. Thinking seas shanties in truth, now that I'm back home on the coast I fancy trying out a little cow punk
  • Rory Gallagher doing a couple of sweet acoustic numbers - first is one of my favourite Blind Boy Fuller tunes:

• More Blind Boy, just love that ragtime style, gonna bust a lot of practice along these lines over xmas:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!