The acoustic music discussion thread
  • Still can't get enough ragtime blues at the moment, mostly just Blind Boy Fuller but starting to branch out a little with the excellent Blind Blake too. This little ditty in particular, got a similar tune I like to bash out:

Just for shits I had a look at national resonator guitars on ebay. Damn, doubt I'll ever be able to afford one of those.

How's everyone else getting on? Cocko's harp playing? Ozno's classical? Other mans, other stuff? Kinda feel myself making small gains again, but mostly in strumming (doing a kinda bastardised flamenco thing at times). I still need to work on scales and turnarounds a lot more than I do.
  • And another!

Gonna try to crack a little bit of the flavour of this tonight.
  • Seriously digging this dude atm, helping a hungover, busy bastard of a day go a little easier:

Still hitting the ragtime style here when I can, minor gains made over time, still not got that punchy sound though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Jake Fussell, is really doing it for me at the minute, will try to remember to post some links when I get home
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Where dem links then cocko??

Loving this atm:

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahaha, oops, forgot I put him here, he's in the country music fred right now, rootsy as all hell. The albums basically him finding loads of worksongs from the 20's and reinterpreting them but not taking them very far from where they started

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • nick_md wrote:
    Where dem links then cocko?? Loving this atm:

Great.  Dylan's tribute to the man has to be the greatest album off-cut ever to appear on a rarities compilation.  Bob and the Knopf, discarding pure gold like a couple of numpties and sticking Neighborhood Bully on the record.  Brains farting, MK should've put one of his size 11s down.
  • Blind Willie McTell is great but I'll stick up for it not being on Infidels. Personally I think Foot of Pride is a way better rocker than Neighbourhood Bully and fits in with the sound and tone of the album better than Willie McTell.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • As an aside I always thought it was interesting that Foot of Pride was the song chosen by Lou Reed at the Dylan anniversary concert. Definitely suits his character well.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Not familiar at all with Dylan's BWM, although I've heard mention of it ofc. Will go a-tubin' later.

In the meantime, I keep forgetting about this joyous little piece, awesome footage of a great, great player. Love it so much:

• XOMuggins wrote:
    Blind Willie McTell is great but I'll stick up for it not being on Infidels. Personally I think Foot of Pride is a way better rocker than Neighbourhood Bully and fits in with the sound and tone of the album better than Willie McTell.

I'd agree that BWM doesn't fit the album, but it's superior to anything on it IMO.  I would've sacrificed consistency and plonked it at the end.

Some great performances at Bobfest.  Vedder, Winter and Reed all do well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Picked this up - hadn't heard of him before. Apparently he has released a splendid jazz album which I will pick up on the strength of this.

Just one guy with a guitar who one night recorded 3 CDs worth of music and then made this...

83c62178_OneQuietNight.png
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Pat Metheny's one of those names that I knew for years from its regular mention in guitar magazines I read as a teenager without actually having heard his music. Now I know his name for its occasional mention on Radio 3 for his having played on Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint (later sampled by The Orb) ...

He's also partly responsible for this thing:

1neOgz0.jpg
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He gives good guitarface. More mid-orgasm May than Moore...

Did this:

• Never heard of this guy but saw on tv over the weekend and had to hand it to his talent:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zqTLkgImAdU

Not melodic, as the missus says, but aye pretty nifty.
  • Not a jaw dropping performance like the Beeswing vid posted a couple of years back, but this version is lovely, and the song is almost peerless.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you want to talk peerless Irish songs and performances...

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I picked that version of Raglan Road for the recent Curated By thread.  It's one of the best things ever.
  • Let's do some major douchery in a park fam
  • Have we seen this show off?
  • However impressive it may be (ridiculously so, obviously), it's still a (slightly wet) acoustic version of Sweet Child O' Mine, and therefore it fails.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    it's still a (slightly wet) acoustic version of Sweet Child O' Mine

Is there any other kind?
  • nick_md wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    it's still a (slightly wet) acoustic version of Sweet Child O' Mine
    Is there any other kind?

A quick perusal of YouTube suggests nope.
  • Although if the guy above does a cover I take that back.
  • A week off work starting today, finally restrung the guitar Escape sent me (ages ago - cheers again for that) and getting my country blues on right now tackling some blind blake and blind boy fuller (gotta get me some of that blindness shit).

First time playing a steel string acoustic in about 5 years, maybe more. Fingers keep falling between the strings, too used to the wider board of the classical. Still, am enjoying the twang of steel, got my slide out too. Heading up country to the folks place this evening. Gonna have a good ol' fashioned country time, yessir. Will maybe share progress later.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!