The acoustic music discussion thread
  • One day, one day. I will own a National.

Cool dude that fella.
  • Fucking love a bit of Ray.
  • So far today I've been hammering this:

and this:

Doing my usual thing of getting just enough so that it sounds like I'm attempting the same tune, then being happy and continuing to ham-fistedly hammer out a shite version. Plus I still need to focus on my alternate bass, just too used to doing my own thing. Stuck in my ways.

This week though, I'm determined whilst at the folks place and away from temptation, to really hit some practice and not opt for the easy route. I want my thumb to be it's own entity by this time next week.
  • Amazing how much those guys could do with 3 chords.
  • Slightly pissed on a train bound for Chester atm. Contemplating heading to the drinks carriage (i forget the official term) to ensure my inebriation on arrival. I must entrust my guitar to the grey haired salary man opposite me in my absence. I feel as if walking in the footsteps of Lead Belly himself.
  • Haven't played in ages, and my skill is fucking dire, but I was inspired to give it a go today because I wanted to crack Bad Ambassador by The Divine Comedy, and also had a time playing Lady of a Certain Age

One of my favourite songs to finger pick, but I'm fucking useless at it

Transferring into strumming after the "you wouldn't think I was 53..." is one of those simple but fucking brilliant explosions in music
  • Nice tune that Temps. I had a quick look at the tab but the chords with numbers after them said 'come back later' so I've filed it away for a later date (just lazy to learn new shapes). I need to branch out from bluesy stuff though. Tbh anything where I can practice picking without having to try and palm mute / alternate bass will be a blessing.

My 'one day I will own a National' comment above was provoked by the following, which I couldn't find yesterday; despite reminding me of the dude from Hostel who pays to blowtorch a girl, this guy does a great version:

• I should probably do bluesy one day. I bought a book about it but it's just not the music I listen to. I love it when I'm out, and I really respect it, but I'm an indie schmindy wanker so I struggle to find stuff I like to learn. Also it's all fucking nails.

The best tab for Lady... is this one, done by a guy who has tabbed out 99% of all Divine Comedy Songs, so I'd recommend that one if I were you. Just worth noting it doesn't always tell you what the bass note is, but the shapes will tell you that... otherwise mash it up with the Ultimate Guitar one to get a comprehensive version.
  • Think I saw that tab but I was convinced it started with Am when I was trying, as some other tab suggested. Fuck knows.

Ah I see, that's the intro I'm looking at.. gets to the Am later on. Thafe.

I'll give it another shot.

I'd say give the blues a shot too, it's easy to get a basic, decent sounding thing down, but if it's not what you listen to or want to play then that's that really. I've always made the biggest gains when inspired to play stuff I want to play, rather than 'oh I should try to play this 'cause that's what people do'.

Spent some time in open D with a slide after watching that vid I posted again. Man, shit's hard to make sound clean.

Anyway, still trying to nail a workman-like Georgia Bound atm. Got the basics down but now need to work on those added fills and licks that turn it from a simple C-F-G progression into the country/ragtime blues foot-tapper it is. Plus the alternating bass, fuck it.

• Pretty impressive eh? I prefer the next guy though, seems less grandiose:

• I'm at the point now where I can do a reasonable ham-fisted, drunken pub 'hold on a minute I get this bit (father ted)' rendition of Georgia Bound, including 2 - count 'em TWO - different guitar breaks, just not usually all in a single clean run.

Still, I'm enjoying doing 'em, and I've made some progress, albeit small, in the thumb-struggle, via improvements in That'll Never Happen No More, still the best blake, joint with the aforementioned GB:

It's like a soundtrack to my life.
  • Nick has some great taste in stuff.
  • you should see my pr0n bookmarks.
  • Thanks again to @Escape for the guitar, really enjoying myself atm, got right back into the swing on the steel string. Strung it myself as well, first time ever on an acoustic and just happy the fucker stays in tune and the strings haven't snapped. Had an incident whilst doing it with a bridge pin flying out but I gather that's all part of the fun with a DIY approach.

Have been trying to use a thumbpick now off and on for the last week put it's just not working for me. It's bad enough that my thumb-aim is put off by the thing, but it also causes my fingers to not know what the fuck they're doing either.

Think I'm just going to stick to bareback tbh.
  • I've tuned my absent flat mate's telecaster to Open D, because with a capo it gives me two turnings to fuck with, gee whiz. I've no idea what to learn after Headmaster Ritual but there ya go.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Showme.

I'd honestly rather not. For both our sakes.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I've tuned my absent flat mate's telecaster to Open D, because with a capo it gives me two turnings to fuck with, gee whiz. I've no idea what to learn after Headmaster Ritual but there ya go.

grab a bottle and slide away.

If you want to make a slide (i.e. if a whole bottle is unwieldy, as I find) you can do what I did several years ago: Tie some string round the neck-base of a straight-necked wine bottle, light it (maybe dip it in lighter fluid first) let it burn for a bit then plunge the bottle into ice water. It should then easily break off clean-ish leaving you a decent slide. I heard it was an old time bluesman's technique. You could always just break the thing straight off ofc, but it may shatter all jagged.

Sliding is loads of fun and easy to sound twwaaaaang bwaaaa-bwaaaaooww bluesy with. Just hit open strings, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 12th fret. Bounce around those and you're solid.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Gonzo wrote:
    That was boss

Missed that somehow. Boss.
  • I've gots brass slide, I've never had a great amount of luck with it tbh. Always worked better on the hollowbodied electric I left down South. That said, it's likely down to the shite action on my own Tele .
  • Just drink the wine instead then.

I want a brass slide.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Thanks again to @Escape for the guitar, really enjoying myself atm, got right back into the swing on the steel string.

Good to hear it's doing more than murdering Personal Jesus.
  • Well that just makes me want to get my nylon out again. Cheers.

Never heard of that guy before, great swing to that tune, sounded greek-ish, or Jewish-ish.

My only real go-to for British folk is still Davy Graham. I've posted this before a few times I think but it's also nylon and just such a great tune, I love it:

It often runs through my head when I'm stuck in some underground or oxford circus crush, a poor country boy with the big city blues. Kinda (I'm a very happy chap as it happens, but I indulge myself on these lines).

I'll dig into that Thackray dude at some point. Obviously pump more links this a-ways. Much obliged.
  • Have you bothered with much Nick Drake? Not really proper folk, although I guess it's kinda arbitrary and tough to define nomenclature, but his songs (and voice) have a great hypnotic rhythm to them at times, and they'll make you tune your guitar weird and learn weird rhythm patterns and probably work great if you're high as a kite or drunk (can confirm at least the latter)

• I can't bring much to the table in terms playing, just listening.  I favoured Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon over Bryter Layter, particulaly Five Leaves for some reason.  BL is the one that seems to be mentioned in the mags etc, but it just doesn't sound as good to me. 

If we're doing British folk links, and we seem to be doing folk links, I'll chuck another in:

Credit to Bugal.  Again.
  • Wasn't sure where to put this anyway:

• Ah yes, my bezzy mate and former housemate was a Drake man, used to champion him but I'm a stubborn bastard at the best of times and tend to ignore stuff I know I shouldn't. I always get Nick Drake confused with someone else, an American chap, does some tunes on piano in a swing time, I forget his name now. I dunno.

I should branch out my listening really, I actually have a very narrow library, or tend to immerse myself in one particular band/guy for extended times. I went through a few years focussing just on Roky Erickson and the Elevators, for example.

Really like that second track, From the Morning.

Here's some Roky, just 'cause I reminded myself of him and he's awesome:

There's the full documentary of his life on youtube, You're Gonna Miss Me, recommended (I actually get a bit emotional just thinking about it, man's a fucking survivor.)
  • @moot haha - genuine lol at the title of that Formby vid. Get in Blackpool! Seasiders!

Also, British Folk, fuck you Zeppelin:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!