Just completed
  • Put me down as someone who really enjoyed it too. Looks lovely, plays well, it’s like a playable Saturday morning cartoon.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Looking forward to it but Astro Bot takes precedence.
  • Just finished R&C too. It is a stunning game, and is a great showcase of things to come.

It definitely got better for me as the game went on, some cool set pieces and each planet felt different. Invisible walls suck but I certainly enjoyed exploring the open world levels more than the linear ones.

I also enjoyed the battle arena challenges - i'd take more of those. 

Solid 7 from me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Doom 2016 - Series X - according to Xbox it’s 0d 0h 0m played

What can I say. Great from start to finish. Just pure adrenaline fuelled shooty shooty pew pew with a few hidden bits that don’t get in the way. The last few levels that I played back to back last night and tonight just left be a drained from the constant bombardment of enemies shooting, punching and chainsawing. But all in a good way.

The gameplay loop is nearly perfect and they have mixed the lethality of the various enemies from old school doom with those charging bastards really hard to take down.

Oh and the trials were great fun with some tangible benefits. The minor weapon upgrades were well handled and didn’t fall into the trap of overly complicated skill or crafting trees.

The only minor niggles have to be in the heat of combat I often misread the chainsaw fuel level and ended up dying because of it. The other is that I could have done without some of the cut scenes where you couldn’t carry on. But overall this is one of the best gaming experiences you can have. [9]
  • ...and yet, Eternal bests it in every way possible.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Really? I thought people were saying it was over complicated. I’ve got it installed but will go on to something more sedate next.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Really? I thought people were saying it was over complicated. I’ve got it installed but will go on to something more sedate next.

No it is the connoisseurs choice. Only cack-handed idiots prefer DOOM 2016.
  • Eternal all the way.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ok will see if I’m cack-handed in a couple weeks.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Elf and DS are not judgements to trust. And g is probably just getting muddled.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You part of the Cack Hand Gang, Muzzy?
  • I assume you’ve finished both games and can provide an opinion, then? Cos you’re good at these FPSes, no?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It is complicated. But it's also absolute genius, and the pacing of the introduction of all the different skills and systems is an absolute masterclass in game design. That an old fart like me could get their head round it all speaks volumes.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Played Eternal through once, adored every second of it.

Went back and did it on the second hardest difficulty, loved it even more.

Tried to go back to rate Doom 2016 again, and got bored after a few hours. Too much downtime, combat feels thin after the incredible set of interlocking mechanics in Eternal, and the movement in Eternal makes 2016 feel sluggish too. It's all artifice, all the way down, and doesn't try and hide that the most videogame-y videogame out there, but it's all the better for it.

Well aware that people struggle with it, or just don't like the way its combat is less of a power fantasy in the traditional sense (it's more demanding, requiring you to be switched on for every combat) but it's just so, so fucking good in my opinion. Second favourite game this gen after Sekiro I reckon.

Only complaint is that there's no NG+ style difficulty. Really must get around to Ancient Gods part One and Two.
  • g.man wrote:
    ...and yet, Eternal bests it in every way possible.

It's a very different game from 2016. I just found Eternal to be too gamey, like the whole thing feels like a special arcade challenge mode that's given up all pretence of trying to make the experience feel somewhat grounded in a reality. I much preferred 2016's balance in this regard. Eternal feels like challenge for challenge's sake which I'm not really into.
  • I hated Eternal at first when I played on console with a controller. Played a year later on pc with mouse and keyboard and it's just a whole other level. I just wish I could manage all the systems faster but my brain is no longer up to it. It's intense.

It's worth starting the whole game again if you struggled first time for sure.
  • I enjoyed the way 2016 allowed the player to be slightly less switched on.  Eternal gives the player additional systems to consider/juggle/manage and it works superbly but the arena loops in the reboot were more of an arcade rush, hence my heart belonging to 2016.  They're both great, it's the best difference of opinion since sitters vs standers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not a fan of Eternal and 2016 was my runner-up goty. I think the concept of it being more like a game is right. I'm going to give it another go given the Series X update tho.
  • I'd actually really like to see them go in the other direction just for kicks, and attempt to make a hyper realistic Doom, with queasy levels of simulated gore and dismemberment. I know you can kind of blow pieces off of demons in the new Dooms, but I'd like to see that taken further like where you can properly blast legs off and see them try to crawl and stuff. Would be proper horrifying but would make for quite an interesting experience I think, more like a survival horror perhaps than a twitch shooter.

I never played Doom 3 but I get the impression it went in that direction somewhat.
  • I'd love a new game in the Doom 64 engine, tbh.
  • I'd love a new game in the Doom 64 engine, tbh.

Thats a good idea. There is almost certainly people out there making new levels and shit as PC mods.
    Hire them up Sonic Mania style. It would be a cheap but popular Gamepass thing.
  • Play Prodeus or Dusk or one of the many other revivalist shooters
  • I can't cos I am console baby, remember

They both look fantastic though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Credits rolled on Carto. Innovative narrative puzzler with a nice art style where you put together pieces of a map (each piece of which presents the playfield, which is manipulable) to solve puzzles. The story is a bit trite, which is a bit of a shame as it would otherwise be a fairly perfect execution of the concept, all the other components being decent. Also a bit irritated to open the achievement list after finishing to find they're all secret and I missed a bunch of obtuse secrets but that seems like a minor quibble. Definately worth a look on Game Pass!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Monument Valley - Popular highly-aestheticised puzzler for mobile. Historically, I've been a bit frustrated by the discourse around arty-farty games - they seem quick to become sacred cows despite them often being highly flawed. With this, it's not so much that it meets the hype but that it counters being highly pretentious in some areas with being a fairly light, unpretentious experience in others. It tries very hard to have a beautiful minimalist art style that would appeal to mature tastes but it doesn't try to write a cheque it can't cash in terms of narrative. In fact it's almost semi-humourous and whimsical at times - I was quite fond of Totem by the end of the bonus levels. The difficulty really hit a sweet spot for me - it's not particularly challenging but it's still intellectually stimulating while always stopping short of being genuinely frustrating. And it's only £3 (plus a bit more for the bonus levels). Recommended.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm team ere in this one. But drew is gonna flip.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Rise of the Dragon - Mega CD - I was chasing the high of Snatcher and this sounded vaguely similar. It's a cyberpunk-themed point and click. For the Mega CD version, a lot of text-based dialogue was removed and replaced with pre-recorded audio, which gives it Snatcher-style presentation. The voice cast is led by Cam Clarke, the voice of Liquid Snake, as Blade Hunter.

I really wanted to like this as a lot of aspects of it are quite good - there's a nice gritty aesthetic to the dystopian setting, the presentation with the audio is really quite nice and there's some nice '90s cyberpunk-style admin in there (you have to pop in an ID card every time you want to use a computer or access Blade's apartment, which has the potential to be annoying but is an amusing and harmless throwback to an older era of game design, playing it in retrospect).

However, it's really flawed to the point I would find it difficult to recommend - the design is very obtuse with the game being difficult (and overwhelmingly tedious) to complete without a guide. As you play through the game, it also becomes clear that there is not much going on beneath the surface - it's a very generic action plot about busting some gangsters with a cyberpunk gloss and no real sci-fi ideas or social commentary. To make matters worse, the gangsters are dodgily accented Chinese gangsters and there's more than a hint of racist Orientalism in there. The game also ends on a low, abruptly abandoning its point-and-click gameplay for a dire shooter-platformer section.

I was quite excited by this game when I started it and, to be honest, was a bit sick of it by the end. It probably is worth a look if you're desperate for something to play from the Mega CD catalog or want to play a retro cyberpunk-themed game, as it is a fairly short experience. It's not a great game though - perhaps a 5/10.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Omno - Initially I wasn't overly impressed with this - it leans heavily on Journey for inspiration and is thus somewhat derivative but also nowhere near as emotionally impactful. However, through my playthrough I warmed to it and by the end I felt it managed to stand on its own feet as a puzzler platformer layered with Journey asethetic. It's very impressive for the work of a solo dev - a decent amount of content and variety of gameplay and locations, excellent and only slightly flawed gameplay and good, atmospheric graphics and soundtrack. What it lacks in pure artistic heft, it makes up for with good gameplay design. Worth a look, especially if you enjoyed Journey and Abzu. Plus an easy 1000 Gamerscore if you're into that sort of thing. Solid 8/10 from me.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Spiritfarer - In essence, this is 2D Animal Crossing mixed with what is supposed to be deep, emotional storytelling. The 2D Animal Crossing aspect works very well - the game looks great, with charming, well-animated cartoon-like graphics and the gameplay loop is genuinely great. Travelling about from destination to destination to progress story quests and explore, you maintain the equivalent of your Animal Crossing village on your ship during the journeys. With multiple objectives on the go at any one time, and limited time available during your journeys before you reach your destination, there is always something to do, a constant sense of busyness - in a positive, satisfying way. Unlike Animal Crossing, which can become unsatisfying outside of its intended 15 minutes a day, this is very addictive and can be played for hours at a time. The biggest flaws with the gameplay are that in a couple of spots, the gameplay becomes extremely bottlenecked around progression of a particular objective and thus you kind of struggle to move forward with anything until one particular thing is done (for example, everything you need to build requires a particular resource that's in an area you can't reach yet because you need to progress the story to let you build the thing that lets you get to the new area that contains the resource). Additionally, the game slightly overstays its welcome on the gameplay side - the game is backloaded with a bit of random pointless busywork for some reason (oddly one of the last spirits you encounter burdens you with irritating busywork and serves little other purpose in the game). Also, two of the Achievements drop an absolute clanger - towards the end of the game you have to make a decision - the consequences are relatively minor but there are mutually exclusive achievements for each option. The only way to get both is to faff about with brute force quitting and you need to know in advance to do this (and the Achievements are both secret ones) - or pointlessly replay most of the game a second time (and this is very much a one-and-done type game - the game design here is inexplicable).

Unfortunately, the emotional storytelling aspect doesn't quite pan out. Your 'villagers' in this game are actually the spirits of the dead and after completing their quest pathways, you ferry them to the Everdoor, where they finally disappear for good. It wouldn't be accurate to say the writing is bad exactly but somehow none of the characters ever felt fleshed out - in one case I just had no idea what the character's basic deal was meant to be. It doesn't help that you don't actually engage with characters that much before they disappear. A lot of the time it felt like characters appeared, you'd get a few lines of dialogue to indicate what gritty real-world issue afflicted them and then they'd be off. Also, in the back half of the game, most of the characters are just genuinely unlikable twats. The game didn't elicit much of an emotional response from me, to be honest.

On another level, the actual overarching story is rather poorly explained - your character actually met many of the spirits in the game in life but the details of this, and your character's backstory are vaguely conveyed through pictures - but these pictures are hard to parse, particularly because the spirits you encounter appear as animal familiars that look nothing like their real-life counterparts. It seems as though this was an issue for many players because with the Lily update they have essentially done a Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut on the ending of the game - your sister now appears to explicitly explain the story at the climax of the game. I do think this is an improvement but it does feel like a 'Whoops, we done goofed' move, just as it did with Mass Effect 3.

Overall, I did get quite a bit of enjoyment out of this but I don't think the storytelling works anywhere near as well as intended. I played this via Game Pass and certainly for anyone that's hankering for Animal Crossing but doesn't have a Switch right now, I think this is an easy recommendation. Likewise, anyone that's tired of New Horizons but wants a new Animal Crossing experience will likely enjoy this. However, for anyone that's on the fence about Animal Crossing but is hoping that the narrative aspect might tip the balance in the game's favour... I think they are likely to be disappointed and I would struggle to recommend. I'd put this in the upper end of 7/10 - I don't think I can quite justify an 8.
  • The whole thing can be played in co-op which nudged it up to an 8 for me. Not my sort of game at all (was pretty much my first with strong farming elements) but I did get sucked into the chores and busywork. Agree about the bottlenecking and it being overlong. I regularly did some of the more mundane collecting solo so we could keep on keeping on with two. Never saw the Lily stuff as we played early on, but I liked the OG ending. Will have a look at what's been added.

Terrific soundtrack too, one of the best for years imo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!