The British Politics Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My point is, WiFi isn't the internet. You can have excellent WiFi connection and still have no internet.

Such is the curse of the digitally literate.  I find it best to let go as when I try and explain things I'm called a boring bastard for doing so.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nobody gives a fuck about the report (except maybe the press, because it gives them another story).
  • Report comes out. Blames the civil service and less clearly identified 'Downing Street staff'. A few people no one has ever heard of get sacked with the promise of making it up to them later. Johnson criticised for permitting it. His excuse will be along the lines of "if anything I'm too loyal". Cabinet and MPs will come out and say sentences containing phrases similar to 

"the report draws a line under this painful episode"
    "fulsome apology"
    "time to move on"
    "vaccine rollout"
    "Brexit"
    "domestic agenda"
    "great year ahead for Britain"

It won't trick anyone. It's likely it won't work and adds another layer of insult. But if they bundle it up well enough and time it right and can distract people with something else, then maybe people will give up on him resigning or his party doing the right thing. What it won't do, imo, is make people forget about it and 'move on'. It will be remembered. 

I wouldn't say they successfully got rid of the Cummings problem when that happened. But they did manage to carry on after it, almost as if it didn't happen. But that was mid-pandemic when people had other stuff going on. And crucially, Cummings wasn't front and centre of the campaign to try and make people forget about what a lying arsehole he is. Which Johnson will be. 

So if you see the guy doing his "oh so sorry but fuck you not sorry, not resigning" bit then the next day he's bouncing around talking about Peppa Pig again and launching some fresh bullshit project, it's not going to make you forget. It's going to remind you. He shouldn't be in that job. And every day you see him do it is a fresh insult.
  • When rich people fuck up, they sack the staff. They don’t resign.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think that there’s no moving on from this for Johnson. He’ll try, he may hang on to his job (I kind of hope he does, TBH), but he’s tainted with this for years to come.
  • The report strategy would have probably worked if they'd launched it much earlier. I don't think they even properly understand the problem anymore. 

Evidence of a party.
    "I'm furious about this party."
    Evidence of him at a party
    "I was there but it wasn't a party, it was work. "
    Evidence of an invitation to a definite party that he went to.
    "I attended the party by accident."
    Evidence of him knowing of, condoning and often attending frequent, repeated parties and booze ups.
    "I'm sorry I knew about, allowed, attended and drank at all these parties. Sorry for being such a great boss that cares about the people around me. But also I've sacked a load of them to save my own skin. Hey look a squirrel."  

His changing statements were all very public and designed to be very clear and led the news every night. And all in the space of about four or five weeks. That's why even your UKIP loving Brexit granny can see what's happened. It's a very obvious series of lies that have been told to the entire country in real time. And it's about something literally everybody in the country went through. And, almost universally, had a negative experience of. In many cases, a life-alteringly, devastatingly bad experience of. I know that's all probably stating the obvious but there's no way of undoing that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Plus the fact that he’s getting the piss ripped out of him by Ant and Dec and football pundits is evidence of how deeply this story has resonated with the public.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    YouGov have done a survey showing that an overwhelming majority of those planning to vote Tory at the next election want Johnson to stay on. Might be just the depressingly large contingent of die-hard Tory scum voting for them at the next election.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Given other polls that rather suggests a huge drop off on those thinking if voting Tory.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I imagine those people who are currently planning on voting Tory at the next election would vote for a sack of spuds in a wig if it wore a blue tie, so that probably won't influence Tory party members.
  • They are an odd bunch that demographic.
    Surely they must see Johnson is damaging their party.
    He is inferior to a sack of spuds in a wig and tie.
  • Self sabotage and reveal more and more parties until the "we're actually more interested in the things people care about like levelling up our economy and just Getting On With It" line is enough to clamp Starmer during PMQs and everyone moves the fuck on. Book it.

I have to laugh because if I don't I'll lose my fucking mind watching these utter cunts.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t see people moving on from this. This pandemic has been a profound event, two plus years of lockdowns and sacrifice and grief and loneliness and fear, all while those in charge are getting pissed and partying on a regular basis. People aren’t just forgetting that.
  • When I say everyone I mean the opposition and media there.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    YouGov have done a survey showing that an overwhelming majority of those planning to vote Tory at the next election want Johnson to stay on. Might be just the depressingly large contingent of die-hard Tory scum voting for them at the next election.

Yeah, I think that this reflects how much of the soft support has gone.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    When I say everyone I mean the opposition and media there.

People will remember when they’re voting.
  • Most people in the UK and especially those who vote Tory live pretty comfortable, uneventful lives.
    The 2020 lockdown represented the first real government intervention, public sacrifice and hardship since the war.

That is why people won't forget this imo.

The media and the Tories will of course try to move on but the public won't.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:

Yeah, I think that this reflects how much of the soft support has gone.

I'm sure that would've been a very carefully worded question to ensure they had this result.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    YouGov did also report that among 2019 Conservative voters, 41% think Johnson should resign vs 47% who want him to stay on.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/15/four-ten-who-voted-conservative-2019-say-boris-joh
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Conservative Home poll saying that a majority of Tory Party members think Johnson should resign too.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2022/01/over-half-our-panel-of-party-members-want-johnson-to-resign-now.html
  • Johnson could literally take a [redacted] to the Queen's gaping [redacted] and [redacted] her with it until she's [redacted] and they'd still get 30% at the next election.
  • Its quite the fall from grace innit.
    Johnson was extremely popular amongst Tory voters in 2019.
  • Was listening to a bit of LBC today while doing some garden work and was kinda surprised the response. Can't remember who the host was but the comments were "well, we're all human" and "it's not like we are a puritanical society" to "Labour should not be pointing this out, they should be focusing on policy".

Switched over after 5 minutes but found it all a bit bizarre.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah I'm always wary of call in shows. The callers are real people but the producers are selecting who gets on the show.
  • I guess that's fair enough but I'm just amazed that some people look at this and think "ah no its grand"

I mean, take covid out if alone and this wouldn't come across as the best look for any office to be acting like season 1 of madmen.

I think this is why I hate phrases like "use common sense" when it's quite clear people don't share common sense.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Talk radio deliberately tries to annoy it's audience. They will absolutely be picking the most unreasonable people to get people engaged. They are the analogue version of the social media algorithm.
  • Yeah. Takes all sorts I guess.
    What amazes me is how banal and poorly thought out some of the arguments are. Like that person spent longer dialling the number than thinking it through and they actually think people need to hear what they have to say.
    The X Factor shit singers of current affairs.

Not all callers of course, some can be quite interesting especially when they have some level of experience or expertise.
  • There’s a huge number of people who thought lockdown was stupid and threw their own parties, enjoyed BBQs with friends, and generally ignored the rules. Those people are going to be fine with Government parties at Number 10. Makes the Tories look ‘relatable’.

They will magically disconnect it all from the Gov being the people who actually wrote the sodding rules.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wifey had a mini breakdown today in the car. The impact of her mother's death in May 2020 hit her - seems to have been triggered by these last few weeks disclosures.

It's probably a safe bet that there will be thousands of others being affected in the same way.

Then we have to stomach the unedifying scene of Rees Mogg out-weaseling Willy the Weasle winning the annual Weaseldon weaseling competition, droning on in parliament about the rules being too hard to adhere to.

Johnson and his cohorts have to go.

Meanwhile over here the DUP in a pathetic and obvious populist move of proposing getting rid of COVID passports in NI - as if that will smooth things over for the election in May. Fuck them.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!