The Moving House Thread
  • I didn't move :(
    Nah mate. You moved so many times you ended up right back where you started! 
    That in itself is an achievement :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • But I did end up with a very nice hat collection…
  • :)
  • Booking vans, packing books, chucking old junk. It's moving season!

Got a great deal on some new bookshelf speakers for my office too. So good.

Budget vs actual is already a bit scary.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Can't find the other home thread but we're looking to get a place through the share to buy scheme. Anyone on here had any experience with it good or bad??? Seems like a good way to bring the deposit down a bit....
  • You mean the help to buy scheme? In which case yes, we bought our house that way through "shared ownership".

We took a mortgage on 75% of the property and pay rent on the remaining 25%.

We got this with a 5% deposit too
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • We moved during one of the proper lockdown periods. Had a ’mare on the day. Loaded up my car with lots of the stuff we didn’t want to entrust to the moving truck, then the car’s security system threw a fit and wouldn’t open again. My wife had to go on ahead in her car and get the keys without me while I waited in the pissing rain for the AA man. Couldn’t go back into the old flat and wait indoors because the keys had already been handed over to its new owner.
  • Ooof. That sucks. We just did what will probably be the worst bit of our move. Cleaning out shed and generally dismantling etc old disgusting shit for hard rubbish tomorrow. Have hammered Ikea which will get delivered Friday. Picking up more stuff tomorrow too. Paying rent at both places hurts. But being able to drop down carloads at least makes the old house empty/cleaner in transition.

My back is screaming at me though.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Turn your back on it.
  • Remember, when lifting things it's important to keep your legs straight and lift from your lower back with swift jerking motions.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • And we are now Beach side residents. Yay.

God bless the removalists who had to deal with a piano and a few other mega annoying bits of furniture.

Now to build even more Ikea furniture!
  • aGDWhbw.jpg
  • So buying a flat in Glasgow is crazy. Three flats that I've booked for a viewing have sold before the viewings have taken place, and that's in Ibrox/Govan.

There's some lovely old flats around there but it seems everyone else has the same idea.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • This sounds worryingly close to where I now live :D
  • Don't worry, at this rate I'll be living in Dundee.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Heh.
  • Just burning through cash on bits and bibs at new place. Sound dampening stuff for my room. BBQ stuff, random replacement cooking stuff. New soundbar for ara's room. Damn.
  • Safety Beach. Surreal after Kensington.
  • Oh wow, must be nice down there!
    Everyone working remote now?
  • Yep. That's part of the move. 4 bedrooms instead of 2. So 1 office each.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Just burning through cash on bits and bibs at new place. Sound dampening stuff for my room. BBQ stuff, random replacement cooking stuff. New soundbar for ara's room. Damn.
    It's a fucker ain't it.
    I've done loft insulation, two new radiators plus a full flush of the system, door handles, freezer door seal, light fittings. That's just the necessary stuff before I get to furniture and decorating.

Fortunately a good mate of mine is a sofa designer so sorted me a £2400 sofa for a grand.

• We just spent £12k on the garden makeover. Was meant to spend £6k and then rest on other stuff like fitted wardrobes. But glad we formed our extra to rip up the old drive and do nice new tiles and stuff. 

So still fitted wardrobes and shelved and stuff to do. Then maybe the gym at the back towards end of next year.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • That is serious money!
    Worth getting a place how you want it though, especially in London. You don't want to be moving too often there, the stamp duty must be eye watering.

Im going to live with the place for a year and then providing inflation hasn't got even worse than now Im going to look at extending the mortgage to get my bathroom done really well then a few other bits like changing all the internal doors and some/all the windows.
  • It’s a decent sized garden. Around 7m wide, maybe 8m. And around 22m long.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah thats pretty hefty.
    This is the first garden I have had and Im glad its not too big. What I have already scares the hell out of me, especially the front where I live in fear of upsetting the neighbours some of whom have beautiful front gardens.
  • I spent all afternoon today pulling out weeds taller than I am. There’s no shame in doing things at your own pace, I reckon.
  • Nobody knows what a beautiful front garden can be.  It’s all just lawns and fucking bedding plants.  No disrespect to livs neighbours, mind,
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    We just spent £12k on the garden makeover. Was meant to spend £6k and then rest on other stuff like fitted wardrobes. But glad we formed our extra to rip up the old drive and do nice new tiles and stuff.  So still fitted wardrobes and shelved and stuff to do. Then maybe the gym at the back towards end of next year.

I'm not surprised. We spent a pile on our front and rear gardens about 4 years ago. It included landscaping, patio creation etc, new lawn and driveway laying etc but it was in excess of £20k. Our back garden is a decent size.

A garden needs a fair bit of maintenance. So while a big one looks great it soon looks shit without any effort being expended on it.

On top of the initial cost we have spent a fair bit of money on plants, new hedges and new trees. There was a tree surgeon for the mature ones too (removal and pruning of the keepers). Just be wary when buying a property.

We are in the house 21 years and up until 4 years ago it was just a green square I kept under control and we had swings, trampoline ,large rabbit run it etc. But it was pretty shocking looking once all that was taken away and we had some old trees that were out of hand. We had conifers that had got too big and couldn't be reduced - they were 7-8feet wide at the bottom, half fucked - one huge deciduous tree had been chainsawed way back before we owned the house, was an eyesore, was choked with ivy and needed removing while others were just too tall with leaves way at the top - one of which came down in Storm Ophelia. We also required a new fence to fill the gap the big conifers left when they went.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nobody knows what a beautiful front garden can be.  It’s all just lawns and fucking bedding plants.  No disrespect to livs neighbours, mind,
    Haha. I'll tell them you think they're all cunts.
    Most are exactly that lawn and bedding but one on the corner is that sort of tamed wild thing and looks fantastic, all wild flowers. Natural without being a state if you know what I mean.
    I'll probably do away with the front lawn eventually, I get nothing out of it. The previous owner planted a willow tree which is coming along nicely, that can stay.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!