Stuff for "Creatives" and whatnot..
  • Jaco wrote:
    All depends what space you’re using the logo in. Digital = raster (pixels). Print or signage = vector. When it comes to logos it’s Photoshop for show, Illustrator for a pro.

Digital stuff is using vector more and more now, too. Most sites I work on these days have the company logo as an SVG, rather than multiple raster files, for example.

Plus, if you're producing rasters from vectors, you'll never be in the situation where you need a copy of the logo bigger than your original and can't do it.
  • Thinking about it, ease of creating raster vs vector varies based on personal inclination. Knowing both Photoshop and Illustrator to a moderate degree, I'd find it much easier making a logo in the latter and reckon it would have been the same back in my first year of Uni.
  • You just can’t tweak and play around with raster stuff in the same way. And yeah if you need it bigger than you thought, you’re stuck. Horses for courses though.
  • Vector is of course the correct way to do things.
    If the question was "I want to get into logo design what software should I look at?" Then absolutely Illustrator.

For an amateur looking for a quick result on a simple text with straight lines logo. Photoshop (and like) seem enough to me, especially as it can do those things vector. PS is generally easier to pick up as there are relatable things to working it like Word or Paint. I just think Kow will get the result he wants quicker and easier in PS over Illustrator.
    Just make it 4k resolution, when it comes to printing it on a banner to hang off a bridge, well cross that bridge when you come to it.

Best thing, get the the 30 day trial of Illustrator and PS then maybe have a play in both.
  • There are many ways to skin this sort of cat, but I reckon the best way is to ask a friendly Badger to do it for you. Sketch it out to explain what you want (in pencil on a bit of paper, the old fashioned way) and sling a bottle of whisky in their direction as a thank you.

I know, I know. Don’t work for free. It devalues the profession. But we all do it sometimes. nowt wrong with a favour here and there.

Spoiler:
  • I did think that.
    Free for mates on little jobs is fine.
    I could do with the Illustrator training so wouldn't mind taking it on, I couldn't charge for my Illustrator skills currently anyway.
    (I realise this totally counters my points above)
  • I would be happy to do it if its simple, i've got plenty of free time in evenings this week.
  • ITS A GOD DAMN LOGO OFFFFFFFFFF
  • Said it a gazillion times before but Photoshop CS 2 has had the authentication servers turned off so it's in effect free. They no longer care. 
    If you want a logo that is scalable to any size then do it vector. If you do it in Photoshop at, say, 3x3cm and 300 dpi then that's the maximum size you can reproduce it. 
    You can always rasterize a vector image. You can't vector a raster image. 
    Well you can but it doesn't work and isn't visually a true vector.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Thanks for all the offers but we really need to do it ourselves (it won't be me actually doing the drawing part anyway) as it is work in process and we'll be designing it as we go rather than having a finished idea to draw up immediately.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    In that case, I also offer
  • Ever have one of ‘those’ clients, who just don’t read things you send them?

I just received proofs of some signs for a building, that the sign contractor has drawn up themselves. They’re 70mm high. The rest of the signs in the building interior, that I designed, are all 75mm high. So I dropped the client a line and suggested that maybe she should ask that these be redrawn to 75mm, so they match.

Her response?

“Oh no, I can’t make these any smaller.”

Now, I don’t know how her tape measure works, but 75mm is usually bigger than 70mm.
  • Every. Client. Ever.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • LivDiv: Hey, the time you have allocated to this job seems quite long for just moving some boxes from an old job. Do you want me to design up totally new units?

Handler: Yes if you can in time that would be great.

*Designs units, sends over designs.*

24 hours later

Handler: What are these units in the space.

LivDiv: The new units I have designed.

Handler: Its suppose to be just the boxes from the old design.

*adds another half day to the bill*
  • Neatly illustrating the vital importance of email trails. I never delete work emails.
  • Yeah, unfortunately I rang her instead.
    Whatevs, I will just bill for however long it takes, they never question my timings at this place. In fact the only time they did was the creative director insisting I must have spent longer than I billed on it and to add more time against it.

It's the one place I have ever worked where the opinion of creatives trumps that of project handlers.
  • “Never delete, never surrender.”
  • I have not filled in a timesheet since starting my current job, back in April. It’s liberating.
  • I fucking hate doing timesheets.
  • The only time I do them now is if I go into this same place.
    They have a schedule designer that maps out your day anyway so if things go to plan its a simple job to do timesheets. Plus they insist on doing it everyday and hound you the next day so it doesn't snowball. They also encourage tracking of down and overtime time rather than punishing it or attempting to doctor the figures.

My old job was a nightmare. 3 directors flitting in and out of the studio all day, insisting their job is important and everything else needs dropping. Impossible to properly track time.
  • "LivDiv” wrote:
    It's the one place I have ever worked where the opinion of creatives trumps that of project handlers.

Wait a sec. You discovered El Dorado?? Are there unicorns?
  • poprock wrote:
    I have not filled in a timesheet since starting my current job, back in April. It’s liberating.

Best bit of being freelance. That and not being subjected to Danny’s music. NO ONE LIKES YOUR MUSIC DANNY.
  • Its crazy right?

Ref: el dorado
  • Went to the Royal Academy Klimt/Schiele drawings/sketches exhibition today. 
    If you are arty the raw talent on display is ridiculous. 
    The lines, the forms, the volume suggested by a simple pencil stroke is maddeningly deft. I'm so jealous.
    Klimt's drawings have incurrence modern designers, Schiele's figure have influenced countless modern illustrators and comic book artists like Bill Sienckiwicz - absolutely brilliant. 

https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibition/klimt-schiele
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I'm supposed to be designing a gondola, all the detail I have is the footprint and height.
    The brand I am designing for is on one side. The other side is another brand and designed by another design agency and they won't provide their designs for me to work with.

What could possibly go wrong?
  • I'm getting that sinking feeling.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I'm supposed to be designing a gondola, all the detail I have is the footprint and height. The brand I am designing for is on one side. The other side is another brand and designed by another design agency and they won't provide their designs for me to work with. What could possibly go wrong?

That's a 'down tools and refuse to do it until they provide what you need' moment. There's no way that can possibly go well.
  • I'll just do it then bill them to fix it as well.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is the other brand Cornetto?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!