Super Mario Super Thread
  • Going from 64 to Galaxy is such a huge jump in how the camera behaves.  I know there are some levels where you can use the right stick to look around but it's hardly even crossed my mind.

Crazy how good it looks for a 13 year old game too.  Like just with a higher resolution it looks like a legit modern day Switch game.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • My Luigi Home Circuit kart has turned up but for some reason Mario is being delivered tomorrow. I've connected Luigi up and had a quick spin around the living room and landing/corridor circuit. It all seems to work fine even when the kart is completely out of sight. The illusion of speed and drift turns is effective even though in real life it's crawling along but I'm guessing it's only in 50cc mode in the opening demo. I've put it on charge for now and will have a proper play and set up some gates later.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Would be good to hear whether it being on carpet causes issues
  • I've only used it on carpet (standard short pile stuff) so far and no issues.
  • Anyone played Super Mario 35 yet?

I had a go the other night, thought it was really good. Got that just one more go addictive pull to it much like Tetris 99.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've had 3 number one finishes so far, tweeting them like a pro
  • Mal0wner wrote:
    I've only used it on carpet (standard short pile stuff) so far and no issues.

Cool. The daughter wants it for Xmas.

Do you play using just the Switch or can you play it on the TV? I only let her use the Pro Controller as the Joy Cons are too lightweight for her.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • TV too, though it's not clear how that would work for MP. My guess is one switch per TV, so in most cases, one player on one switch and the other on TV.
  • Mal0wner wrote:
    My Luigi Home Circuit kart has turned up but for some reason Mario is being delivered tomorrow. I've connected Luigi up and had a quick spin around the living room and landing/corridor circuit. It all seems to work fine even when the kart is completely out of sight. The illusion of speed and drift turns is effective even though in real life it's crawling along but I'm guessing it's only in 50cc mode in the opening demo. I've put it on charge for now and will have a proper play and set up some gates later.

This happened to me too.  Luigi arrived yesterday and Mario is due today.  Surely Mario should be arriving first?
    Anyway, they’re meant to be Christmas gifts for the son and daughter but I’m pretty hard pushed to say that they wont be just getting gifted this weekend instead....
  • That's the real race. And Luigi won.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Mario has arrived muttering something about a blue shell.
  • Top joke!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Had a fun couple of hours with 2 player races this afternoon. It's very cool and full of Nintendo polish. We set up a couple of courses a long circuit round our hallway/landing and through the living room and then a simple Baby Park circuit. It's very strange when some of the hazards kick in and you are wrestling with the steering as gusts of wind try to blow you off course or the screen flips into mirror mode.
    There seemed to be better WiFi connection with the Switch Lite compared with the standard undocked Switch where we saw some brief disconnections at the far side of our longer course. If you want to use a docked Switch it's worth bearing in mind that your courses will really need to be in the same room.
  • I'll wait for the Toad edition
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    I'll wait for the Toad edition

My man
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just tried All Stars - all 3 games and got the 1st few stars and shines. I like it. Mario64 controls just fine - like I was never away. Sunshine looks very nice and controls just fine.  I played them with the 2 controllers docked a la a classic controller.

Very odd playing Galaxy that way but would be fine. I'd probably get on with it better using just one controller.

A nice compilation then. My daughter will get a lot out of it.  Having the soundtracks is a nice touch.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Wait until you get Galaxy 2 next year.
  • davyK wrote:
    Very odd playing Galaxy that way but would be fine. I'd probably get on with it better using just one controller.

You can play with one Joy-Con in each hand the replicate the Wiimote and Nunchuck feel afaik.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    You can play with one Joy-Con in each hand the replicate the Wiimote and Nunchuck feel afaik.

I get the impression you can do it all with one. There's enough buttons - you could point and flick as well.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    I'll wait for the Toad edition

My man

+ Toadette double pack

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • My Super Mario Bros Game & Watch has arrived.

All in all it’s a very lovely if entirely unnecessary little thing.

It feels like it needs to be just a bit wider for the d-pad to sit properly, and it’s not quite heavy enough, but it’s still remarkably pleasing to play.

There are some nice little touches in there. Games restart from wherever you left them after you switch off, and the clock is weirdly mesmerising.

Is it worth £50? No, of course not, it’s a massive indulgence. Does it make me grin just looking at the thing? Too right it does.
  • Yeah made me grin loads... and I haven’t even opened it!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I was expecting it to be absolute dogshit but have been pleasantly surprised. The screen is nice and vibrant with a good black level, the in-built speaker is very clear (only mono but that's all NES could put out anyway) and it's an enjoyable thing to play on - it's even been distracting me from Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memories and Yakuza: Like A Dragon! My one complaint is seems to be using horizontal interpolation to make the ratio up to 4:3 and there doesn't even seem to be a hidden option for a pixel perfect mode - it's not massively noticeable but it's a shame it's one tiny detail away from being absolutely perfect at what it sets out to do for £45 (aside from the incorrect subtitles on the drawing Mario song for mainland Europe languages).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • The Mario thing one fifth of a PS5.

I’m not keen on the screen at all. Blurry.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Also got a G&W. Might Xmas it to my kids. Or eBay it in a decade. Can't decide.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    In a decade you’ll probably want to eBay the kids.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sooner than that, their value is fast depreciating...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    My Super Mario Bros Game & Watch has arrived. All in all it’s a very lovely if entirely unnecessary little thing. It feels like it needs to be just a bit wider for the d-pad to sit properly, and it’s not quite heavy enough, but it’s still remarkably pleasing to play. There are some nice little touches in there. Games restart from wherever you left them after you switch off, and the clock is weirdly mesmerising. Is it worth £50? No, of course not, it’s a massive indulgence. Does it make me grin just looking at the thing? Too right it does.

If it brings joy it's a keeper. Isn't that what that Japanese lady who does the de-cluttering says? :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!