Bloodborne
  • Fair play, and good choice. I first did OoK in NG+++, would not recommend it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Found the Martyr. Got him to third phase second try (my first try is usually just run and slash, no healing to see if I'm doing damage or not), so he just skull blasted me three times in a row third try.

Is there a quick way to get to that fight? Or do I really need to go through the room with the screaming women.
  • The elevator shortcut is the only way to the Martyr, but you can run past everything.
    This was the toughest boss for me - had to desperately call in some co-op
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I did Martyr first time.
    Spoiler:
  • In my new playthrough I've finally met HenryK.

My +3 weapon does toss all damage. Crow woman already dead so it's just me.

edit: cheesed him by keeping him on the other side of a set of headstones. Even that was tricky with the game deciding to break lock on repeatedly.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The elevator shortcut is the only way to the Martyr, but you can run past everything.
    This was the toughest boss for me - had to desperately call in some co-op
    I felt it was doable but will probably die for weeks now. Can't do co-op as no plus, so it's either grind for some echoes in the framerate drop room in the lecture building, or git gud. I've heard parry-ing should work really well for this, so will try that next time.
    The route is so annoying as you lose a little bit of health on one of the drop downs, and it's less health than a vial recovers. Might use some health for blood bullets.

For Henryk
    Spoiler:

• Martyr is optional, of course, and tougher (IMO) than any of the main path bosses. So might be a good idea to return later when you've levelled up naturally.
  • Pah, Martyr is doable for those of us in the Paarl early club. :-)

Also major lols at the prostitute. On my last 2 playthroughs I never get her to ask for a place to stay. She always said come back in the morning. With my currently NG character I was getting the same response - I'd killed CB, FG, BSB, VA, and WoH. Knocked twice - same response. So I removed my clothes and weapon and got the correct dialogue.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    That's weird. Pretty sure I didn't need to do that, but I'm playing a women's character. Don't think that would make the difference.

Martyr does feel doable, and apart from getting there seems fun enough to have at least a few more tries. Have to promise myself I'll move on if it's not working out right away, and go back later if needed. I'm trying to do at least all bosses that are possible (not sure how the ending works yet) so the optional ones need to die too.

Although this one is giving me weird Adventure Time Ice King vibes and I can't take it seriously.
  • Visited my old friend again with my new character. Didn't lock on, went to his side and just attacked the legs.
    Spoiler:
    He only jumped away once, the rest of the time he was immobile on the ground. He caused me more deaths than all bosses combined in my first playthrough but when you know the gimmick he's easy - but a nightmare for a new player if you don't (and fight him at the earliest opportunity).
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I think you're a brave man for going back to him. Or any of the others tbh.

I had another 30-45 minutes with the Martyr yesterday, got him to half health with a really good start, two parry and visceral attacks, but then I got too aggressive. He has so many different attacks. Might try again tonight as I won't have the time to explore and it's the Unseen Village I need to go to. So might just skip him if I can't get him by my next session, some blood chunks for my weapon will definitely help for future tries. Strength is at its soft cap and not adding too much now.

Seems to be a good fight though, I like it.
  • I'll be fighting him next I think. Just finished Rom so next up is 2 of the items needed for later, and then cainhurst.

I thought Martyr was the best fight (by far) up to that point. I will reassess now as I've fought all of them since then.

Twitch streamer running around with 125m souls! Maxed everything so nothing to spend them on I guess.

edit: can only get 1 item now, need to fight another boss to get the 2nd item for later
  • I may avoid Martyr Logarius entirely until the playthrough where I want to make a bloodtinge build.
  • Martyr down now. Took around 8 attempts - probably a few more than the first time.

Still a good fight - unless you get blasted off the roof. Now I'm fighting more without lock on his flying stuff wasn't bad at all - in fact it's the move you want him to do.

Next up the running, talking muppet. edit: oh not it's not, it's my favourite boss - the one. You are not number one you are a number two ;-)
  • New character is going well. Story and optional bosses down, and just fought first dlc boss again. Made a whirligig +9 as it had been mentioned here as good against him. It wasn't bad but I'm not used to it so I ended up going back to Saw Spear that I'd used throughout the game to kill him.
  • Having fun with Maria again now. Now that I'm not rushing to get through the game like I was the first time I'm prepared to spend a lot longer trying to understand boss moves. No cheesing with axe spin to win this time.

It's a good fight. Still think the god like tracking and the sweeping attack that has a >180 degree hit box are a bit much though.
  • The whirlygig takes a bit of getting used to alright. Transformed back-step to R1 is a good opening salvo/slaps for a crowd, plus the continuous saw-shredding when you hold L2 (iirc, been a while) make it destroyer of both beast and kin.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    And I was happy with my progress! I left the Martyr alone, as my mind just wasn't up for concentrating that hard. Explored more in Yahar'Gul, the doors that were closed earlier are now open and behind that it's scary as hell. Haven't been able to take down the 3 hunters either, but remembered I got a upper Cathedral key. Cinty said I should check it out, and so far it's again weird in a new way, and it scared me good. Gonna progress with exploring that for a bit I guess before heading back to Yahar'Gul.

My Holy Blade is at +9 now, so that's maxed as far as I can now, and my strength hit the soft cap. I'm feeling very vulnerable about that.
  • You can backstab the one on the stairs if you go round the back. The others will join but you might be able to take him out - and he doesn't respawn.

Worst boss in the game next Nina! But the area after that is great.

Upper Cathedral is very atmospheric

I'm now thinking Maria's third phase is a bit cheap. The fire damage that staggers you even if you dodge the attacks, grr. And the constant teleporting out of range on the rare occassions when I get the upper hand.

Also remembered the record video mode so been replaying my fights. Some of the hit boxes are mad e.g. the sweeping attack - you are clearly clear of the attack but you still take damage.

Having said that, Maria is up there with the best bosses to fight.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    Worst boss in the game next Nina! But the area after that is great.
    In Yahar'Gul or Upper Cathedral Ward? I'm planning to explore the Ward more today.

Am sad I won't get to fight Maria, I really like her art. Part of me wants to get the DLC, but I'd also really like some chill time between this and Monster Hunter Rise.
    Might be nice to keep that for the PS5, just because.
  • Yahar but I'm not a fan of the one in Upper either.

The DLC is good. It's tough, and the bosses are a step up from the non dlc.

Rise - just the though of a camera that you can actually control!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Huh, my insight went from 35 to 13 somewhere in the Upper Cathedral Ward? Is that a brain sucker thing?
  • Nina wrote:
    Huh, my insight went from 35 to 13 somewhere in the Upper Cathedral Ward? Is that a brain sucker thing?

Were you getting head-noshed by those brainsuckers? That would explain this.

A charged Tonitrus turns those fuckers into mincemeat.

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah I got sucked. They're really annoying as the hallways are so tight and these don't have their backs turned towards you. No where to evade those magic voids. Spend my few remaining insight on bolt and fire papers, just so that I don't lose them.

I'll try with the Tonitrus, not sure yet if I should just use my blood chunks on that one, I got my Holy Blade to +9 so that's covered, need a rock now which are very rare from what I've heard. Tonitrus still at +6.

Also not sure if Upper Cathedral before Yahar'Gul is the way to go
  • I'm playing this playthrough with the saw spear, which has an R2 thrust attack when transformed. It does loads of damage to the blobby enemies. I was shocked when I one shotted the first head sucker. Made the upper Cathedral a lot easier last night when I played through it.

I wouldn't say Yahar is a lot different to Upper although the boss is easier in Yahar.

edit: there is 1 rock in the main story. There are others if you want to go through the chalice dungeons. But you can buy a rock using insight after a later boss. I had two +10 weapons on my 1st playthrough.

So Maria down. I'm not convinced about the final phase - seems too mean to me. But then it's the phase I had least practice. I was trying to not use any buffs for these bosses but resorted to bolt paper for Maria. Killed her when she was backed into a corner and for once didn't teleport away.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Had a look at the wiki and they suggested to be 80+ for the area just after the Choir, where I don't have much left to explore. Gonna go back to Yahar'Gul as I'm feeling pretty bummed about losing all my insight. I do have a lot of those items that give you insight though.

Upper Cathedral and Martyr have to wait a bit.

Will have a look at the saw spear too, have enough shards to get it to +6 I think.
  • Does your sword have a thrusting attack?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah both variations I can charge with R2. That's how I just cheesed the 3 hunters, locking myself in the jail first.

It's also how I've been cheesing the 3 beasts in Upper, run back to the door and stab them.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    One Reborn down first go, at least I got that! Really bad framerate during this fight.

Edit, also made it past the brainsuckers and opened the big door. So that's a relief. Having more health definitely helped.

Lost all my One Reborn insight, so the doll is lifeless again. Wondering what else I'm not seeing now
  • Good stuff. Do you mean the doll is asleep?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!