Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Now started Walking Dead Book 3. The Governer. Bloody Hell.

It gets worse before it gets better.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Vastik wrote:
    Just to clarify, that's a link to a massive torrent of Judge Dredd and Anderson comics. Some crackers in there I tell thee drokkers.
  • Is there an easy way to get such goods onto an iPad for viewing?
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Is there an easy way to get such goods onto an iPad for viewing?
    A very easy way.
  • Oh my, ill investigate that over the weekend then.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I'm currently working my way through Frank Miller's catalogue (which you can find here – http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/93347009/frank+miller?tab=summary#.UGv7Wfl25jw) using that Comic Flow app.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Vastik wrote:
    A very easy way.

I prefer Comixology myself. Now I just need an iPad to view them on.

EDIT: Not sure if it caters for pirate types though.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    Vastik wrote:
    A very easy way.
    I prefer Comixology myself. Now I just need an iPad to view them on. EDIT: Not sure if it caters for pirate types though.
    Yeah, Comixology seems to be more of an iTunes for comics, whereas Comic Flow relies entirely on you supplying the content.

I had a look at Comixology a few years back, wasn't impressed with the available content. Looks far better now so might take a look for a modern comics fix.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I use Perfect Viewer on my Android tab and it really is perfect for comic reading. I have a ton of stuff backed up for reading although I feel a bit guilty for torrenting it all. Is there anywhere reliable to pay for downloaded comics?
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I use Perfect Viewer on my Android tab and it really is perfect for comic reading. I have a ton of stuff backed up for reading although I feel a bit guilty for torrenting it all. Is there anywhere reliable to pay for downloaded comics?
    Aye, to be honest torrenting is a means to an end at the moment as it seems a lot of old stuff aint available to buy digitally (and i've read/owned a lot i've downloaded before anyhoo).

Comixology looks like a good App to buy downloadable comics on, dunno if it's on Android though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, I just had a quick look and it's there. Can't say I'm too fussed about buying the latest Marvel and DC releases, though.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Yeah, I just had a quick look and it's there. Can't say I'm too fussed about buying the latest Marvel and DC releases, though.
    Just grabbed the app and had a look at the list of publishers, seems there's a lot more than just Marvel and DC.
  • I use Comixology for current comics (as there's nowhere near by that sells them.)  I have a few minor issues with the library, but generally speaking it works well - you can either view the pages as is - or change it so that it zooms in to each individual panel (for large panels it will generally home in on a focus of action/ speech bubble, then zoom out to give the full picture).  The line up's much improved on there now too, with most of the indies represented, along with collected trade paper backs.  Certainly doesn't have everything though.  (No Dredd for instance.)

To be honest, I'd still rather have the physical comics, but it's a good solution to getting hold of stuff, and means my house isn't quite as cluttered with them as it might otherwise be.  Seems to have sales on quite often as well, which is handy for getting older stuff.  (A while back I got the full run of Bone, in colour, for an awful lot less than it costs in physical form.)

No torrents though - it is, indeed, very much the iTunes of comics.

On a related note - just read the first issue of Grant Morrison's latest - Happy.  Seems to be your standard story of gumshoes, mobsters and imaginary blue talking horses.  Early days, but it's an intriguing opener...
  • So I have just finished The Walking Dead Book 3. Absolutely brilliant. The Governor was an incredible (and vile) character, the twists were great as usual and this one even had some slightly happy moments!
    Spoiler:

Also, on a side note. The first Walking Dead novel (Rise of The Governor) is only 99p on Kindle.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • So I have just finished The Walking Dead Book 3. Absolutely brilliant. The Governor was an incredible (and vile) character, the twists were great as usual and this one even had some slightly happy moments!
    Spoiler:
    Also, on a side note. The first Walking Dead novel (Rise of The Governor) is only 99p on Kindle.

Cheers for that tip, would never have picked that book up otherwise.

There's worse to come, I think it's the end of book 4 that almost made me quit the series.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Going back to Dredd for a moment, The Pit is another classic storyline available in trade paperback. Similar to what Grem said about Chopper, it really gave me a whole new perspective on what comics could be and the scale of the story was incredible to me at the time. I remember really enjoying Red Razors and Wilderlands around that time too and would love to revist them.

I'm currently engrossed in Y: The Last Man and Scalped, both of which are excellent but I feel like something new if anyone has any recent recommendations.

Tried 100 Bullets a while ago but was quite unimpressed with the first TPB. Anyone else read further? Worth sticking with it?
  • Anyone read AvX? I appear to be the only person I know who feels Cyclops cemented his position as Cockend-in-Chief of the X Men during that.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone read AvX? I appear to be the only person I know who feels Cyclops cemented his position as Cockend-in-Chief of the X Men during that.

No, it got some middling reviews and my local comic shop is super lame at getting my subs at the moment, so I didn't think it'd be worth getting.

I do hear that it makes Cyclops look like even more of a knob end, though.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Thank fuck it wasn't just me then.
  • Amazon delivered Walking Dead book 8 yesterday, at which point I remembered 7 is still in the shrink-wrap. Best get cracking again, it's been a while.
  • Shit, forgot that was out.

Dredd case files 5 arrived this week, frustratingly, given that vol 4 had been delayed until the end of the month.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I've not read Batman:Odyssey, and likely never will.  However this review/dissection of the first 6 issues (with subsequent further installments as they came out) amused me immensely.

Supposedly Odyssey is to comics what The Room is to movies...
  • All New X-Men seems like it's going to be pretty good, decent start in #1 anyway. I love a bit of time travel and meeting past/future selves.

allnewxmencombinedx_02.jpg
  • Yas! Just noticed new invincible is out this week too!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Question for you lot.

My local comic store is useless. I'm six months or so behind on all the titles I'm reading. They've apologised and admitted that they're not going to be able to get stuff from now on. They've set up a deal with a company in Auckland where we pay the Auckland store to get our comics shipped to the local one. Now, my thinking is that if I'm going to pay postage to get it to my shop, I may as well pay postage to get my stuff to my freaking house.

I was in Hamilton recently and found a really cool store that even does free shipping. I've decided to go with them as a) free shipping, and b) they've been super helpful, both in person and via email. So here's the question.

Do I

a) Set up some subscriptions with the Hamilton shop and pay the small fortune it's going to take to get the missing issues and complete my collection.

b) Bugger getting the individual issues, buy the trades of the series I'm interested in, and work out something to do with the issues I already have.

VOTE NOW.
  • If you've missed out on 6 months or so of stuff, you're better off getting the trades for what you've missed, and maybe filling in the odd individual issue.

From there carry on with the individual issues.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Hadn't considered that, good plan. I'll work out what I'm missing, and what gaps can be filled with TPBs.
  • Am seriously tempted to look into the new Hawkeye serial because omg graffix.

Apparently Brandon Graham's Prophet is the tits?
  • I found Hawkeye #3 to be most amusing and the art is pretty great.

Can't remember if I've read 4/5 as I've fallen a bit behind in the last few weeks and need to have a bit of a catch up with everything. Think last week I only read the Invincible from the week before.
  • New Hawkeye has got pretty good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!