Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    So do the compete case files include those top ten stories?

I'll have a chat with the local comic book guy and see what the craic is.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I read the first one. It's alright.

Oh, herp a derp, I thought you were talking about Swamp Thing, and not Hawkeye.

Ah well. My local comic shop is next to useless anyway, so it looks like I won't be reading it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Is this new Swamp Thing, Swirly? I've been reading the Alan Moore ones he did back in the the day, and they're excellent.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Aye, it's immense. I got the Alan Moore run out of the local library, they're really good too.

Cannot recommend the New 52 run of Swamp Thing enough. The first trade is out, definitely worth picking up.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Aye, it's immense. I got the Alan Moore run out of the local library, they're really good too. Cannot recommend the New 52 run of Swamp Thing enough. The first trade is out, definitely worth picking up.

Then read Animal Man - they've spent the last year alluding to a cross over, and now they've finally done it.  (Which makes DC's decision to give us a No. 0 for each issue this month instead of getting on with the main story rather frustrating...)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Have done, I bought the first trade a while back. Wasn't too impressed on first read, but now I've caught up with ST and read AM again, it's pretty awesome. The dream sequences in AM are just gorgeous, just as trippy as anything that appears in ST.

Can't wait for AM volume 2.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I read the first one. It's alright.
    Oh, herp a derp, I thought you were talking about Swamp Thing, and not Hawkeye. Ah well. My local comic shop is next to useless anyway, so it looks like I won't be reading it.

I did wonder.

Just read the second one. I don't like the artwork (though not the worst I've seen) but I did enjoy this one. The only bad thing is that his costume is no longer dumb as fuck, and he looks like he does in the film.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Edit: Forget it. Miles back.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I did wonder. Just read the second one. I don't like the artwork (though not the worst I've seen) but I did enjoy this one. The only bad thing is that his costume is no longer dumb as fuck, and he looks like he does in the film.

I don't think the change in costume would bother me, the original Hawkeye costume is pretty silly. I'll just keep an eye out for the trade, I think.
  • It's very silly, and therefore awesome.

I'll let you know if it nosedives in quality or if it might be worth getting.
  • I started reading the Dredd complete case files a while back and was prompted to carry them on after the film. Currently making my way through Vol 5 and it really is great. Just finishing off Block Wars Mania and about to start the Apocalypse storyline which I am very excited about.

My favourites though have been anything to do with Judge Death. For some reason I find him fascinating.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Judge Death is brilliant. I got into the complete files a while ago, I think I'm up to number 6. Sadly all my books are in the UK, so I can't read them at the moment.

Gotta love the Dredd creative team. When I was unemployed, I'd go to the library. I sat and read one of the recent Dredd graphic novels, and they were making reference to stuff I'd just read in the case files, which originally came out some 25 years earlier. Madness.
  • I know the question has literally been asked less than a week ago but i'm looking to pick up some of the Complete Case Files this month, i'm hovering over 4&5 because of Block Mania/Apocalypse Wars (as mentioned by @Grem) but I can't find any concrete info on what is in each one outside of that... basically I want the whole Judge Death shebang too, and reviews seem to suggest 3&4 cover that... advice please?
  • The original Judge Death plot wasn't that big a story as far as I remember, Bolland drew it all and he's never managed a big run on anything. I've got vague memories of the characters recurring a few times and the Necropolis story kicked it off again maybe a decade later. Death was in the Batman crossover as well I think, which probably isn't in the case files.

Not very helpful, but in summary, you'd probably be better looking for a collection of Death stories.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Do what I did. Start with number one. Follow that with two, then, just to mix it up, get three. After that four.

Then it's a toss up between five and six, but you should probably start with five.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I know the question has literally been asked less than a week ago but i'm looking to pick up some of the Complete Case Files this month, i'm hovering over 4&5 because of Block Mania/Apocalypse Wars (as mentioned by @Grem) but I can't find any concrete info on what is in each one outside of that... basically I want the whole Judge Death shebang too, and reviews seem to suggest 3&4 cover that... advice please?

Death first turns up in prog 149, which according to google is in Complete Case Files 3.  I don't think he comes back again until Case files 5 though.  (I believe File 4 has all the Judge Child stuff, and the introduction of the Angel Gang.)
  • @Swirl Not fussed with chronology so I won't be going 1, 2, 3 etc, reviews suggest the character wasn't too developed earlier on and marks Vol. 3 as the tipping point for quality.

Cheers @IR i'll have a look, Bolland drawn Death is in Vol.4 it seems and that's really the one I'm after.

Edit: @Tin has cocked up me thoughts. Balls, i'll keep exploring.
  • To be honest, I've never thought that Judge Death was anything more than a one issue gag that got way more mileage than it should have because Bolland did some great work.
  • I just love some of the artwork for him, brilliantly menacing whilst still retaining that kinda quriky British attitude to it, can you imagine how terrible he'd have been if a Yank had drawn him up.

Wiki suggests he appears twice drawn by Bolland, Judge Death and Judge Death Lives.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    @Swirl Not fussed with chronology so I won't be going 1, 2, 3 etc, reviews suggest the character wasn't too developed earlier on and marks Vol. 3 as the tipping point for quality.

It solves the problem of where to start, though, and they're all worth reading. It's really good at referencing things than have happened, so you'll get more out of it if you start at the beginning.

Just my two cents, if you really just want to read specific stories, it'll be worth getting the specific volumes.
  • I would start with Vol. One if I was looking for where to start with Dredd, but as I said I was mainly looking for the Judge Death introduction and Apocalypse Wars, because I've heard of those. Luckily the 2000AD website has a vague listing which with Tin and IR has pretty much confirmed I want to start with 3/4/5.

Thing about Comics (which I love) is that chronology is frequently unimportant as various writers crop up and write individual things, and i'd rather focus on the cream of the crop than wade through a bunch of stuff that isn't that highly regarded. Why spend £20 extra when it adds little to the whole? I'll fill the gaps when I'm flush as the set looks really nice.

To be honest, that Top 10 Dredd strips article made me want America, but the cheapest i've seen it is £40 on Amazon. Nope.
  • Tempy wrote:
    To be honest, that Top 10 Dredd strips article made me want America, but the cheapest i've seen it is £40 on Amazon. Nope.

The Complete America is very expensive, but to be honest the original story is far superior to its sequels.   The stand alone America paperback's on Amazon for just over a tenner.  (It's probably my favourite Dredd story, but no good for those looking for an introduction to the character, as Dredd himself is fairly peripheral to the tale.)

If you're a Judge Death fan it's probably worth having a look at Judgement on Gotham as well - if only for his meeting with The Sandman.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's the smaller stories that are better. Necropolis was ridiculous shit and the whole Dark Judges thing is rubbish. Best Dredd story ever is The Midnight Surfer. Dredd is always best when he's peripheral to the story.

A lot of the Megazine stories were really good.
  • Kow wrote:
    It's the smaller stories that are better. Necropolis was ridiculous shit and the whole Dark Judges thing is rubbish. Best Dredd story ever is The Midnight Surfer. Dredd is always best when he's peripheral to the story.

A lot of the Megazine stories were really good.

I absolutely loved the Chopper storylines when I first read them, they sum up everything that is great about Dredd comics. They were the first time I remember being genuinely excited about reading a comic.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

The Complete America is very expensive, but to be honest the original story is far superior to its sequels.   The stand alone America paperback's on Amazon for just over a tenner.  (It's probably my favourite Dredd story, but no good for those looking for an introduction to the character, as Dredd himself is fairly peripheral to the tale.)

Cheers for that, the article linked to the wrong thing clearly, lazy half assed journos.

I bought 3 and 4, I eagerly await their arrival.
  • Anyone know of any decent torrent sites? The loss of demonoid has hit my comic reading hard.

I'd put it in the appropriate thread but Vastik got nowhere doing the same.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    It's the smaller stories that are better. Necropolis was ridiculous shit and the whole Dark Judges thing is rubbish. Best Dredd story ever is The Midnight Surfer. Dredd is always best when he's peripheral to the story. A lot of the Megazine stories were really good.
    Aye, the Young Death strip in the Megazine was pretty good.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Cheers for that, the article linked to the wrong thing clearly, lazy half assed journos. I bought 3 and 4, I eagerly await their arrival.
    And once you've gone through the Dredd case files you should get on the Anderson PSI Division stuff. Particularly anything drawn by Arthur Ranson (and then you can check out Maze World and Button Man too).

http://www.arthurranson.com/content/anderson-psi
  • Just finished Judge Dredd complete case files 5 and it really was fantastic. Judge Dredd Lives was a great little story (and I liked all the dark judges), Block Mania was really well done and The Apocalypse War was excellent.

Now started Walking Dead Book 3. The Governer. Bloody Hell.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!