BAMF! SNIKT! GLORF! The Comics Thread.
  • @Kollarn: I have a feeling it may come down to my own possible irrational fear of a zombie apocalypse. I think I could handle most other horror situations but a zombie outbreak, for some reason, scares the shit out of me. I think its for this reason that I love pretty much all zombie stuff and tend to find it pretty damn scary/thrilling.

Although, in regards to Walking Dead, I am only at the beginning, so maybe the tedium wont hit till later.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I'm secretly looking forward to a zombie apocalypse after watching "day of the dead" when I was a whelpling. I'm going to hold up in a 'mall', live like a king, get fat and shoot things from my balcony...maybe I want to be Ralph Fiennes...oh...dear...
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Isn't that partly the appeal? It's the reason we watch horror movies, there is an adrenaline rush from watching/reading these cruel events/moments because they are happening to fictional characters. The moments that have stood out have been the truely horrendous moments (one from book 2 and series 2):
    Spoiler:
    I am limiting myself to one book per pay check in order to spread the reading time and costing.

The first didn't really bother me, the second did, but that was down to the several episode long arc I think.
    You're definitely right about the flat nature of some of the characters, Dante; Kirkman might have weighted things too heavily against the characters needing no other (or more nuanced) motivations than survival (at least in the beginning).
    I think that this might be it. The pure survival aspect possibly doesn't help it. I've been trying to think of a good example of this, at least a spoiler free one, and I think this is the best one I can think of for now. You know when Andrea and Amy go fishing in the TV series? That really helps the characters. There isn't really anything like that in the comics.

I suspect that reading TWD in one go rather than an issue at a time might be one of the reasons I've not gelled with it so much. Still it's a world away from Spider-Man and Wonder Woman.
  • Spock wrote:
    I'm secretly looking forward to a zombie apocalypse after watching "day of the dead" when I was a whelpling. I'm going to hold up in a 'mall', live like a king, get fat and shoot things from my balcony...maybe I want to be Ralph Fiennes...oh...dear...
    That's Dawn of the Dead. Day... was in the military bunker, which may suit your nazi fantasies better!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I had this conversation with my fiancee the other day, about what we would do if there was a zombie apocalypse. She wasn't very happy when I said I would have no problem with bashing her head in if she became a zombie.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    At least your first action wouldn't be to kick her out of bed.
  • I've actually been planning this out. I'm fine if at home when it starts. I need a plan for at work.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    As well as it turned out in Shaun of the Dead, holding up in the local does seem really tempting. Just don't bring your mum.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Actually don't bring my mum. But bring your mum.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    It depends on the type of zombies. If it was Romero style slow ones, I'd give it a go. Sawn off shotty and aluminium baseball bat, I reckon. If it was 28 Days Later fast fuckers, I'd just lie down in the road and give up.

Anyway, if Left 4 Dead is anything to go by, I'd just end up setting the last woman alive on fire.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Enjoying Deadpool, but why doesn't he talk to the reader as much mumble grumble
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    hghdeadpoolbth7.gif

Fuck yeah, Deadpool.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That is utterly magnificent.
  • I love/hate MvC
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    That is utterly magnificent.

Liberally liberated from here.

I can recommended this dude's videos in general.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Finished the first collection of Crossed this morning. The premise was a decent take on post-apoco viral outbreaks but I already seem to be bored with it. Especially the typical Ennis ultra-violence and brutality stuff that you get desensitised to fairly quickly.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Swamp Thing just gets better and better. Pondering getting the TPBs even though I already have the individual comics because dayum, these people deserve all the money.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, has anyone here picked up the new Hawkeye series? Much cop?
  • I read the first one. It's alright.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    There's no pleasing some people. ;)
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Finished the first collection of Crossed this morning. The premise was a decent take on post-apoco viral outbreaks but I already seem to be bored with it. Especially the typical Ennis ultra-violence and brutality stuff that you get desensitised to fairly quickly.

Exactly how I felt about it. He tries too hard sometimes, typified by the 2 page splash of the double rape and child being hacked to pieces.

I won't be reading more, even Ennis is bored with it.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    How would I go about starting to read Judge Dredd? I quite fancy getting into some comics but I don't know where the start is, is it the complete case files?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Subbax wrote:
    How would I go about starting to read Judge Dredd? I quite fancy getting into some comics but I don't know where the start is, is it the complete case files?

I know this sounds like odd advice, but start with the Complete Case Files Volume 5.  It has the Block Mania and Apocolpyse Wars storylines which are some of the most regarded, and actually serve fairly well as a launching point...
  • Sounds a decent suggestion. Unless you want to start at the beginning, I wouldn't worry too much about the chronology. Certain events are foreshadowed and characters reappear, but the overall story arc isn't that deliberate apart from the decision they made to have Dredd age in our time frame. Dip in and out.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    How old is he then? I'm guessing they have life extension tech.

Is that clone stuff from the Stallone film remotely canon?
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    How old is he then? I'm guessing they have life extension tech. Is that clone stuff from the Stallone film remotely canon?
    He's about seventy now I think, the clone stuff from the film follows the comic pretty closely.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Subbax wrote:

I know this sounds like odd advice, but start with the Complete Case Files Volume 5.  It has the Block Mania and Apocolpyse Wars storylines which are some of the most regarded, and actually serve fairly well as a launching point...

You've pre-empted a question I was going to ask! Excellent, looking to get some Dredd stuff after seeing the new film.
  • Just bought volume 4&5. 4 coz its got the Judge Child arc (which I remember fondly from when I first read it) and 5 because of Apocalypsewarszyeaahhhh.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    A fine selection.

I stopped buying 2000AD about 6 years ago so i've missed out on the latest mega-epic that is Day of Chaos. Hoping it'll be released as a collection soon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!