BAMF! SNIKT! GLORF! The Comics Thread.
  • I've not partaken in Century because the 60s one got slated. If they collect it together and shove it out in a cheap TPB I might bother with it. I really like the original stories though, War of the Worlds part is excellent.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I've not partaken in Century because the 60s one got slated. If they collect it together and shove it out in a cheap TPB I might bother with it. I really like the original stories though, War of the Worlds part is excellent.

Yeah, Century 2009 has the same "spot the reference at the expense of plot" issues that '69 had.  I suppose you could argue it's a deliberate attempt to reflect the superficial nature of the era (something alluded to several times in 09).  In fairness the latest installment is more coherent than '69 was, and has a couple of great pay-offs (and a whole bunch of loose ends too).  It's worth a read at some point, as it's still pretty entertaining, it's just a shame Moore seems to have opted to create a sort of pop-culture Where's Wally, rather than a proper story, well told.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Finished Gaiman's The Eternals a few days back. Enjoyable read but seems like there should be more come the end of it (maybe there is, i'll research). And the way it seems shoe horned into the rest of the Marvel continuity seems clumsy.

Just starting tin_robot's spare Jerusalem. Right from the first couple of pages involving the camp survivor playing with the author's daughter on the plane I knew i'd be enjoying this.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Just starting tin_robot's spare Jerusalem. Right from the first couple of pages involving the camp survivor playing with the author's daughter on the plane I knew i'd be enjoying this.

I don't normally go with smileys, but...  :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    My copy of Animal Man volume 1 showed up today.

Feckin' finally.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Wait, the old one or the new one? Cos I have the old one on my reading pile.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    New one, the first six issues from the 'New 52' Animal Man run.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Of the 52, it did seem to be the best in theme and look. Some of that stuff was pisspoor. New Starfire and Catwoman stuff has to be seen to be believed.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'm not sure about the art for the 'real world' stuff, but the dreamscape stuff is fantastic.

I've been buying the issues of Swamp Thing and Detective Comics and loving them both. Though I'm missing an issue from ST due to inept local store, and I'm not going to read the others till it turns up.
  • My The Walking Dead Book 1 turned up today and it is rather lovely. The hardback is incredibly well presented and the extra content is very good.

The actual comic has been excellent so far.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I love the comics but it takes so long between them that I have no idea what's happening anymore.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Well I have one hell of a long way to go before I catch them up so its all good!
    The hardcover versions will end up being a rather nice collection over all.
  • That is the worst thing about Image Comics. Invincible was fucking brilliant while I had 90+ issues to read but now I'm caught up once a month is too long and makes me sad :(

It's been running since 1993 and only has 93 issues. Absolutely crazy.
  • Is it only realease one a month then?

I didn't realise they were so far apart. I'm going to catch them up really quickly then.
  • Yup. Walking Dead is the same as Invincible. There are only 99 issues and it comes out the first of every month.

I've only read the first compendium of the Walking Dead and I wasn't really liking the final chapter but the way it ended I'm tempted to get back into it. Just a shame it wont take that that long to catch up.
  • Still, they both shit on everything put out by DC and Marvel by a country mile.
  • I have a solution. I will only read one panel a week. Then I will never catch up and never have to wait for more.
  • I thought walking dead was six monthly?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kick Ass is once every 2 months, which is shit.

I tend to only buy comics once every month or so anyway mind, so I tend to read a few at once.
  • Just pre-ordered the paperback reprint of volume 2 of Grant Morrisons run on JLA. I've been trying to get a hold of it for fucking ages and I'm quite excited about finally having it. I've never pre-ordered a comic before.

Have also bought The Return of Bruce Wayne, the side-story between the end of the recent Batman & Robin and Batman Incorporated.

I love me some Batman.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • If you're going to get excited by a comic you can't really do wrong by Grant I guess.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Unless it's The Invisibles.

*runs*
  • *shakes fist*
  • It's not so much the comic itself, which should be awesome, its more the having wanted it for so long and finally being able to have it.
    Still, if you can't get excited by the little things in life...
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Agree completely. When my delivery turned up, I couldn't wait to get tucked in to it.

I've run out of bookshelf space for graphic novels :(
  • Neil Gaiman's writing a new Sandman series for its 25th anniversary.  It's basically a prequel detailing the events leading up to his capture in issue 1.  I was a massive fan in its day, but am oddly not as excited as I might have been.  Still, Gaiman's on board, and JH Williams is pretty much the perfect artist for it...

7538409688_09d3d04339.jpg
  • I've been injecting some mirth into my day by looking at Rob Liefeld comics today. Gosh, that man. He is rich now, so stupidly rich. Just look at this shit:

Youngblood24_medium.jpg

xf20_medium.jpg

xf2_medium.jpg

I mean, I guess it doesn't stop it from being depressing but it is also hilarious at the same time, people ate this shit in the 90s. Even I begrudgingly bought the Spiderman/Venom TPB because McFarlane's shitty muscle art threatened to ruin it all.

Sigh, full article here.
  • There's ever been a place for that Jim Lee thing, but only at the hands of actual Jim Lee.
  • Jim Lee has a crucial hold on anatomy which he still vaguely adheres to through his work, even though he draws impossibly ripped Superdudes.

Look, he can even drawn FEET

Batman_superman.PNG
  • Like, I've never actually read his '90s X-Men stuff but even I know exactly what he made that cast look like.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!