PS4 Vs XBone comparisons?
  • I nearly caved a week ago and got an xbox. But then came all the news about halo having online matchmaking issues, arse creed running like crap, and people getting booted out of games every time a system update applies itself, and people having to wait hours for updates. PS4 seems no better.

I have no fucking patience either. Consoles should be plug and play, not plug, redeem code, install for three hours, download day one patches for 4 hours, find out the servers are overloaded, then get to press start. 

I'm sticking with Wii U this gen. Cannot be fucked dealing with the bullshit of broken games and services which will essentially be unplayable in ten years time (or at launch) once the clouds and servers are switched off.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I don't mind games as a service as long as these games could not be boxed product. Let's say Destiny switches off in 10 years, would you care? Would there even be anyone to play with?

If I was somehow locked out of The Last of Us single player, I'd be pissed off.

The plug and play thing is bang on tho. I let my PC die because I couldn't be arsed fucking about. Right now the PSR/X1 look no better.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Games as a service is an interesting concept but it really requires a different type of game to work.

MMORPGs are the obvious example - WoW in particular, but also older games that have come and gone show the lifecycle of the genre (e.g. Asheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies, to a lesser extent PSO). 

The problem is, none of the modern console games seem to have the service bit down pat. Obviously a multiplayer only game like Destiny or a hypothetical Splinter Cell VS mode standalone game. But publishers are trying to push every single game be it Halo or Ass Creed or CoD as a service, charging an extra 80% for season pass add ons, and really not making a reliable product to begin with. 

If these games want to be considered a service, there needs to be some level of consumer protection for failing to meet minimum standards. I'm not seeing that anywhere at this stage. Only release, bugs, apologies, promises, then the same thing happens all over again come the sequel.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The worst bit is games that have no business being a service. SimCity was broken by the service part that it didn't need. I'm not sure but I think the unpopular limitations on map size were also a byproduct of that.
  • That last paragraph makes me think of the mess that is Drive Club
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I like that I can still plug my Master System in and play all the games I had back then. Not so sure I'm into the idea of paying a lot of money for a game with a much more fleeting lifespan.
  • I don't know shit about networking back ends of games. Could a case be made for large publishers like Sony, MS, EA, Activision & Ubi having a dedicated network team? Seems like they're all making bullshit mistakes all the time.

I haven't played driveclub but it seems like the club aspect was fairly fundamental to it being made, otherwise it's just another racer.
  • I'm gonna thread up to stop derailing this thread.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    The worst bit is games that have no business being a service. SimCity was broken by the service part that it didn't need. I'm not sure but I think the unpopular limitations on map size were also a byproduct of that.

Actually that reminds me of the GTA San Andreas news this week. "Games as a service" is the reason why Steam "owners" of the game saw the game get updated and several songs were patched out of the game because the license expired.

So what happens when Vice City no longer has Mister Mister, or Flock of Seagulls, or Bark at the Moon? No more Phil Collins or MJ? 

Games as a service means that the publisher can do post-hoc downgrades to your software because of license details a customer is not privy to. Where the fuck is the consumer benefit?
  • You want to listen to Phil Collins? ;-p
  • Who wouldn't?
  • Vela wrote:
    Where the fuck is the consumer benefit?

I'd imagine that would be the fact that the consumer can still get a 'new' perfectly working copy of the game at all. Were it not for these services how many games would you or countless others have absolutely no access to? Or the only access being in finding a good condition 13 year old game and console you'll have to then plug in etc to play it on?

Vice City was never designed with the idea people would still want to experience it for the first time or for the millionth time 13 years after its launch, do they licensed the music for so long and there is absolutely no benefit to them to fork out again for said licenses.

These services make it possible to play thousands of games that would otherwise be impossible to do so or very difficult. To moan about a few songs and entirely miss out on the big picture is ridiculous.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I want to know why games companies keep agreeing to such retarded licensing deals. I've never heard of a film's soundtrack being changed because they no longer have access to the original music.
  • I think it happened to The Keep. Happens with TV a fair amount, stuff never gets released on DVD or is released with tunes cut. Film studios have know they're in a long game for decades though.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I want to know why games companies keep agreeing to such retarded licensing deals. I've never heard of a film's soundtrack being changed because they no longer have access to the original music.

Simple. Budgets. When you know by the time the license has run out in 13 years you'll habe released another 3 games in the franchise and countless spin offs why spend x amount more because this game may potentially still be popular, and both easily and widely available to download?
  • Totally different level of consumption too.
    Each player is likely to hear their favourite songs start to finish 100s of times playing Vice City.
    How many times do people watch Scarface for 45 seconds of a track?
  • I've managed to avoid buying a Bone for Halo. Wondering how long I've put it off for though. Any decent exclusives coming out soon?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • You should totally buy it for Halo. The career stats alone is worth buying a Bone for.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I've never heard of a film's soundtrack being changed because they no longer have access to the original music.

TV, but Miami Vice took years to arrive on DVD for this reason.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I've managed to avoid buying a Bone for Halo. Wondering how long I've put it off for though. Any decent exclusives coming out soon?

Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ryse and Titanfall are awesome too! Not sure what's coming out soon but the more I see of Quantum Break the better it looks and I think that's Spring? Think that'll be an interesting one.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is that pit fighter?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Slam City with Scottie Pippin. I'm running out of Mega CD FMV games to post whenever anyone mentions Quantum Break.
  • Erm. I said coming out soon, guys. Games mentioned are already out.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeh. But if you don't have a console then you haven't played them and ergo the released or not is not really an issue.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • In fact the released exclusives are better because they are cheaper now than a new release.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Slam City with Scottie Pippin. I'm running out of Mega CD FMV games to post whenever anyone mentions Quantum Break.
    Start posting Quantum Leap pics instead.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But Quantum Leap is great.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!