PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Just frustrating taking an early night then being wide awake at 0345.

It's okay man, you're not alone in this. I can't remember the last time I went to bed and slept through the night. As in went to bed at 12 and woke up at 7:30 for work. At this stage it must be over 20 years ago (I'm 35 now) - I used to be a lot better a sleeper when I was young. 

But yeah, most nights now I sit there in bed, bored, driving the missus mad because I'm tossing and turning. So some times I just get up, like yourself, at ungodly hours. Luckily I never really feel tired but sometimes at work when I'm deep in some php code I'll find it difficult to concentrate.

I was on holidays recently, I drank every night and slept well. But when I'm at home, working and training, booze just isn't an option. Plus, that's a dangerous road to start down on. Personally speaking.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A couple of years older and also a developer, I guess the sedentary job and the (often) long hours contribute to not needing enough sleep. Booze to sleep is a slippery slope, one I've spent a lot of time on, but it does feel kinda good. I know you get a tonne more exercise than me but I'd bet pounds to pennies that if the day job was digging roads or something actually physical we'd likely both sleep more
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Oh man I've no doubt about it. Working with a computer all day every day and staring at code for 90% of it has to have an impact. I spent a summer once in the States striping houses. All day doing physical labour. I used to sleep like a fucking baby. But yeah, working with computers for 10 odd hours every day and sometimes more is probably not the best thing.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    My old man was a shift worker too, again only sleeping for a handful of hours a day. So a lot of this is probably genetics. He worked 8pm to 8am, would go to bed until 12 then head out for the day golfing or what ever before going back to work at 8pm. Guess it's just something that's in the blood.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    76203DA0-1B5E-4BC7-AC2F-A2B080BFA829_zpsjwva54e5.gif
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Been eating free fall while on honeymoon so will be hitting the gym hard when back. Not sure how much weight I've put on but defo noticing less definition and muscle!! Have missed working out but had some damn fine food.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Put on 5kg in the last month, not sure where.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Have a wank lad
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    As my mates like to say; "drag yourself around the bedroom fro half an hour"
  • I go to gym 5 says a week and I eat relatively late for me 8pm-9pm. In bed between 10pm-10:30pm and I get 6hrs sleep before I have to be up for work. Not a problem for me. Then I've never really had an issue with sleep and I keep a regular sleep pattern.

What works for me, is to come up with a story / movie in my head, doesn't matter what it is about, within 5-10 minutes I'm asleep. It's never failed me. Sounds bizarre I know.
  • Are you saying you're literally boring yourself to sleep?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    A story about two robots, named Dino and Beano.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Have a wank lad
    Now that would be something. I think it's mainly in the chest and legs.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    where did you get that
  • I can't sleep for more than 5 hours and LOVE IT! Got far too much to fit in. Training at an awesome gym in Coventry called Appollos,it's ace it's a proper sweaty shithole.
  • If I could sleep for only, say, 4 hours and get away with it, I would! Indeed can fit so much more in during waking hours. Weekdays literally don't get much free time.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I did a Body Coach ab workout this morning.

And I played Cardio Tennis last night.

That's me done for the next 6 months.
  • In reality I'm trying to decide how best to gorge myself and put on some weight.

Just eat lots more than I'm comfortable doing and drink lots of milk, right?
  • Calories in vs. calories out, aye. Full fat milk, go ape on it. You can also get high calorie mass gainer protein shakes. Expensive though. If you wanna splurge, I recommend Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Gainer. It's fairly clean and doesn't just give you a fuckton of sugar.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Gold Standard Gainer.

Kept thinking I could never lift without it by my side.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Been eating free fall while on honeymoon so will be hitting the gym hard when back. Not sure how much weight I've put on but defo noticing less definition and muscle!! Have missed working out but had some damn fine food.

So turns out I lost half a stone. WTF. Bye bye muscle it seems! Heading back to gym next week to kick it all off again.
  • I can do around 3 pull-ups. :(
  • Pull-Ups like the end of the article? Or pull ups like the beginning of the article?
  • Tempy wrote:

Guy says he spent thousands on PTs and not a one told him how to do a pull-up properly? Damn.

Good little write up though.
  • I think it's more down to the fact that often what's accepted by different fitness cultures is quite different. The wise old pull-up hermits care for naught but perfect form, the Personal Trainer just wants to give you the results you ask for without you hurting yourself.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I think it's more down to the fact that often what's accepted by different fitness cultures is quite different. The wise old pull-up hermits care for naught but perfect form, the Personal Trainer just wants to give you the results you ask for without you hurting yourself.

I would say that any good personal trainer should always focus on form - the results will come but form is always the most important thing. Poor form in any exercise is what leads to injuries. And good form leads to being able to do more anyway - I was able to do heavier deadlifts because I was shown the correct way to do them and grip the bar etc.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Pull-Ups like the end of the article? Or pull ups like the beginning of the article?

Proper dead-hang pull-ups using pronated grip. Can do fair amount of chin-ups (supinated grip). (No kipping. Ever.)

Skimmed very quickly, will read later, but I don't think chin-ups should be derided. They're just different. However the proper pull-up is a great measure of upper body strength.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I think it's more down to the fact that often what's accepted by different fitness cultures is quite different. The wise old pull-up hermits care for naught but perfect form, the Personal Trainer just wants to give you the results you ask for without you hurting yourself.
    I would say that any good personal trainer should always focus on form - the results will come but form is always the most important thing. Poor form in any exercise is what leads to injuries. And good form leads to being able to do more anyway - I was able to do heavier deadlifts because I was shown the correct way to do them and grip the bar etc.

Oh yeah, I agree with the should. Just like the person dealing with my Tenancy Application should be telling me that I can move into my new flat next week instead of telling me it's still being dealt with.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!